Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does Malibu keep records of gel coat repairs

Excel516

When boats need gel coat repair at the factory do they keep records of it?  How often does it happen?  Has anyone taken the factory tour and witnessed one getting repaired?  Thanks.

Edited by Excel516

My 2013 went to the factory for gel repair. After one year of use I had lines in my metal flake gel. They said it was from when they sprayed the boat there was water in the gun, and over time it settled into lines.

I had a dull spot in our gel that I noticed when we picked up our new boat.  Malibu said we can either send it back right away or use the boat for the summer and have it sent back in the off season.  I chose the latter as we were anxious to get on the water and only my eyes could see the spot. Malibu followed up within 24 hours, with a letter detailing the work they still owed us complete with pictures.  We sent it back last winter, had the most of the top deck resprayed so it would match and they sent a detailed description of the work performed that me and my dealer both received copies of in case a future issue arises.

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, wedge88 said:

I had a dull spot in our gel that I noticed when we picked up our new boat.  Malibu said we can either send it back right away or use the boat for the summer and have it sent back in the off season.  I chose the latter as we were anxious to get on the water and only my eyes could see the spot. Malibu followed up within 24 hours, with a letter detailing the work they still owed us complete with pictures.  We sent it back last winter, had the most of the top deck resprayed so it would match and they sent a detailed description of the work performed that me and my dealer both received copies of in case a future issue arises.

Just curious, did they take the top deck off to respray it?

My dealer said they would but didn't end up doing it.  I was really concerned of over spray but it came back better than it left.  I know all my tower components were off and wrapped in the boat.

37 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Just curious, did they take the top deck off to respray it?