Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Too much weight or wrong prop??

tfalcon

This is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this properly and first time Malibu owner.

I recently purchased a 2013 Vride ( 21 ft ) with the monsoon 350. I have added 1100 lb bags in each rear ( which probably only fill to 900+? due to compartment size ), the stock 500 lb in centre , and I added a 650 lb fly high to the bow ( which probably only gets 500 lbs). I also added an Acme 1235 prop.

I just received my Mission Delta and went out to experiment. I filled all ballast and hooked up the Delta. I set the cruise control to 10.8 MPH as a start but the boat struggled to get there. I experimented with the wedge as well which seemed to make it a lot more difficult to get up to any reasonable speed. I was out for a few hours and might've reached 10.8 twice. The boat basically stopped accelerating at 9.5 MPH. Having said that the wave was pretty good but I am hoping to see what it looks like at higher speeds. 

I guess my question is.....Is there too much weight for my motor ( boat ) or does my prop need a better upgrade?

Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

Mine runs fine with similar ballast and a 537 prop (higher pitch).  What was engine rpm during your test?  What is engine rpm and max speed at wide open throttle with no wedge or ballast?

Did you try it with the cruise control turned off?

Sounds like you engine is maxed out with the 1235. Might want to try a 2315 or 2419 prop.

I started with a 1235 on my 2014 T22. Went to the 1615, then the 2315 and now the 2419. I'm happy with the 2419 because I can run heavy up to wakeboard speed.

We had a 2004 VLX with the Monsoon 330, ran a 1235 which was great, what I would say is that you will surf a lot better with very little in the bow. We ran 750lbs in both lockers and centre full, and nothing in the bow with a DIY gate and 9.8MPH and it gave us a monster wave. Had to over fill the oil a bit because of the bow rise. 

We now have a 2013 with 6.0L and the 2315 prop works well where as the 1235 just would not do it, but it is a larger boat.

Just now, mrnate450r said:

I'd sell you my modified 1235. It has been repitched to 12.25. 

Sorry, too flat.  The 537 at 16" pitch actually is working for me at 10.7 and 3200 rpm.   I want to go just a bit flatter and bigger to get better acceleration and just in case I have to haul a bigger crew than our normal 4 or 5.  Going to pick up a new 1235 this week unless I can get one on TMC for a deal.

31 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Mine runs fine with similar ballast and a 537 prop (higher pitch).  What was engine rpm during your test?  What is engine rpm and max speed at wide open throttle with no wedge or ballast?

Good question

Im not sure on RPM and max speed empty.

I didn't try without cruise on as well.

I will be on water hopefully tomorrow and find out RPM and max speed.

I just looked and spare prop I have is the 537.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

We had a 2004 VLX with the Monsoon 330, ran a 1235 which was great, what I would say is that you will surf a lot better with very little in the bow. We ran 750lbs in both lockers and centre full, and nothing in the bow with a DIY gate and 9.8MPH and it gave us a monster wave. Had to over fill the oil a bit because of the bow rise. 

We now have a 2013 with 6.0L and the 2315 prop works well where as the 1235 just would not do it, but it is a larger boat.

Interesting how every boat is different.  We have very full 750's in the back, 600 in the locker, @300 under the bow seats, wedge down, plus a automatic surf gate system.  At 10.7 with everyone in the cabin area the right wake is very surfable from up close to back 25 feet with a nice "just ride and do nothing" spot in the middle.  The left wake, on the other hand, is very steep and shorter.  I've gotten pushed up past the stern of the boat.  When surfing left we have a couple people move up to the bow and increase the speed to flatten the wave.

24 minutes ago, BigE said:

Acme 2315; call wakemakers.

I talked with my local Malibu dealer and they suggested a 2313.

I can't find it on wakemakers site.

I will look at the 2315. 

Do you know what the cup refers to on these props?

I was thinking he was trying to up sell me so i posted the question here

Thanks for your input

41 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Sounds like you engine is maxed out with the 1235. Might want to try a 2315 or 2419 prop.

I started with a 1235 on my 2014 T22. Went to the 1615, then the 2315 and now the 2419. I'm happy with the 2419 because I can run heavy up to wakeboard speed.

Thank you for your input.

What is the difference between the 2 props?

Just now, tfalcon said:
Just now, tfalcon said:

Good question

Im not sure on RPM and max speed empty.

I didn't try without cruise on as well.

I will be on water hopefully tomorrow and find out RPM and max speed.

I just looked and spare prop I have is the 537.

Thanks

Empty test is just to see if you might have an engine power issue.  Going without cruise is to make sure the cruise control is not the problem.  Make sure you give it enough throttle as most cruise controls only over ride the throttle to go slower - not to go faster - than the driver set throttle setting.

What is your elevation? That could be the contributing factor here. When I went to the 1235 and we were just bombing around the lake close to our house this spring, I could barely get on plane to wakeboard speeds with all ballasts and PnP full (3600' elevation). Got the boat down to the lake lot later in the spring where it'll stay for the rest of the year (2100' elevation). It gets on plane to wakeboard speeds with ease with full ballasts. Tons of power to spare. It's a whole different boat. The only difference between the 2 situations was elevation. I never thought the difference would be that noticeable in a fuel injected boat, but I was wrong.

Just now, minnmarker said:

Empty test is just to see if you might have an engine power issue.  Going without cruise is to make sure the cruise control is not the problem.  Make sure you give it enough throttle as most cruise controls only over ride the throttle to go slower - not to go faster - than the driver set throttle setting.

Thank you

I will do that . At the very least it will eliminate potential causes

Once you've ruled out mechanical, your issue will for sure be the prop. Unless you want to dump some weight, but nobody wants to do that. I'm guessing you're at a higher elevation. How many people in the boat?

8 minutes ago, MaliWop said:

What is your elevation? That could be the contributing factor here. When I went to the 1235 and we were just bombing around the lake close to our house this spring, I could barely get on plane to wakeboard speeds with all ballasts and PnP full (3600' elevation). Got the boat down to the lake lot later in the spring where it'll stay for the rest of the year (2100' elevation). It gets on plane to wakeboard speeds with ease with full ballasts. Tons of power to spare. It's a whole different boat. The only difference between the 2 situations was elevation. I never thought the difference would be that noticeable in a fuel injected boat, but I was wrong.

The elevation of lake I was on was about 1300 ft

Not sure if that's high enough to effect performance ?

10 minutes ago, MaliWop said:

Once you've ruled out mechanical, your issue will for sure be the prop. Unless you want to dump some weight, but nobody wants to do that. I'm guessing you're at a higher elevation. How many people in the boat?

5 people

3 girls all around 120 each

2 guys at about 180 each

25 minutes ago, BigE said:

2313 is a little harder to find = more money. 2315, 2313 or 2419 which ever you can find the cheapest.

Great

Thank you for your help

17 hours ago, tfalcon said:
18 hours ago, BigE said:

2313 is a little harder to find = more money. 2315, 2313 or 2419 which ever you can find the cheapest.

When looking at those props it shows the difference is the cup.

2313 has a cup of .150 and I think the 2315 is .105 and the 2419 is .075

Just wondering if you know what the different cup will do in terms of performance?

On July 6, 2016 at 11:33 AM, minnmarker said:

I finally got boat out and tried to answer your questions.

Max speed was 37-38 and RPM's were 4800+ ( and that was empty with the 1235 prop. )

Had no issues getting to 10.8 with less ballast but with everything full it struggled to get to 10.8+. Wave was ok with less weight but not great.

I would like to add the weight for a great wave, so I'm thinking I need another prop? That is on the assumption that my motor is powerful enough for the weight??

Thanks again for your input

Todd

11 hours ago, tfalcon said:

I finally got boat out and tried to answer your questions.

Max speed was 37-38 and RPM's were 4800+ ( and that was empty with the 1235 prop. )

Had no issues getting to 10.8 with less ballast but with everything full it struggled to get to 10.8+. Wave was ok with less weight but not great.

I would like to add the weight for a great wave, so I'm thinking I need another prop? That is on the assumption that my motor is powerful enough for the weight??

Thanks again for your input

Todd

I think max rpm for your engine should be 5200.  Interesting that it is not getting there WOT with empty boat and relatively low pitch prop.  Maybe check your fuel filter?

What was the rpm at 10.8 with "less ballast?"

12 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I think max rpm for your engine should be 5200.  Interesting that it is not getting there WOT with empty boat and relatively low pitch prop.  Maybe check your fuel filter?

What was the rpm at 10.8 with "less ballast?"

I will have to check that again to be accurate.

I think around 4000 but I did a few tests that day and the numbers are getting cloudy

will check ASAP

Thanks