Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

can upgrading to dual batteries eliminate engine noise?

southernfried

I'm having engine noise from my speakers while the engine is on. I also have plans to install a dual-battery setup(blue seas add-a-battery) and was curious if putting the stereo side on the house battery and the engine battery separately connected to the starting battery would eliminate the engine noise? If not then I will probably look into re-running  some cables. 

Also can someone explain the common bus bars to me? Do I need to take the grounds from both batteries and all other ground leads(house panel, stereo, engine grounds all on the same bus bar?

Whether a single or dual batteries should not have any impact on alternator noise (such as a whine). How you wire your audio system components and how you connect to the battery will make a major difference in the noise.

The two battery grounds are going to be tied together with a very heavy gauge cable running a very short distance between them. So there's no need for an external bus bar until you add a number of electronics. Distribution blocks come into play when you have more terminations than you would want to stack on any single post, whether that is a battery or switch post. I like to limit the number of stacked terminals on a single post to three and I don't like to mix large and small gauge terminations on the same post. Distribution blocks and bus bars also are a good way to keep things structured and organized.    

great, thanks for the reply. 

regarding my audio install i'm going to take the deck and EQ power wires and run them to the AMP terminals, I've read a lot of people do that on this forum to help eliminate noise. I wonder if me having 3 sets of RCA cables and the power/ground cable running along with them in the bow is causing any noise?

Edited by southernfried
7 minutes ago, southernfried said:

great, thanks for the reply. 

regarding my audio install i'm going to take the deck and EQ power wires and run them to the AMP terminals, I've read a lot of people do that on this forum to help eliminate noise. I wonder if me having 3 sets of RCA cables and the power/ground cable running along with them in the bow is causing any noise?

Easy enough to check with nothing more than a female-to-female RCA barrel connector.