Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sand Bar Anchoring

BlknYlwT22

I am looking at a solution for tying the boat up at our local sandbar. Typically, I throw out our small box anchor in the front and simply stand near the rear to keep the boat from swinging or I park away from everyone so that if it swings it doesn't matter. On the weekends, the sandbar can be pretty busy and the quarters are tight enough to where it isn't worth standing next to the boat to make sure it doesn't bump anyone. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to "anchor" down the rear of the boat? I know the initial thought will be the shore spike, but I am not sure that this will work for this application (ie 2-4 feet of water and may not have the room/ability to run a line all the way to the shallower water - boats are sometimes stacked two or three deep). A common tool we will see used is a PVC style with an auger at the bottom. This may be the best option but I wanted to ask the crew if there was anything else I should be considering. 

1.5" pvc pipe. cut one end at 30 degrees, put a tee on the other. overall length up to you, mine are about 5'. keep two 6" pieces as handles for the tee (I don't glue them in).

as long as it's not too rocky these sink deeply quite easily with a twist/push. don't go bigger than 1.5" as you want them to flex vs getting yanked out. two is normally plenty but i keep 3 in the boat just in case.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Or just use a traditional anchor in the back on a shorter line. I setup this way and the boat stays put with no issues. If it gets busy I make the rear anchor with a small fender and stretch it real tight, the boat will barely swing side to side then.

The PVC posts with augers are good too. But, they take up more space then my two anchors so I don't typically take them with.

I use a danforth (marked with a buoy so no one steps on it) for the front and a 10# coated mushroom for the rear. It might slide a little bit if it is windy, but it is easily adjusted.

I use two of the PVC pipes and augers, one for the bow, one for the stern.  Never had any problems.  Our sand bar is also two boats deep and side by side when it is real busy.

For sand bars, i use the shore spike to the bow, with a bouy to mark the spot. Then a short rope with my box anchor on the rear. 

I like the the shore spike because it is a solid anchor point where I can use a short rope. Sandbars I go to have a strong current . I just hammer the spike at an angle away from the boat. 

The rear anchor is if I really don't want the boat to drift. 

If you anchor off the bow with the box anchor, get a heavy duty cloth style grocery bag and fill it full of rocks with a rope around the handle. Throw it in against the wind or if short term straight down. The only down side would be all you guys here with these nice sandy beaches and sandbars with no rocks. Totally jealous. 

Just what ever you do, don't beach it, please!!!!

9 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Typically a 2nd anchor off the stern would be on the shore in a lot of cases. The Sandspike is small & works great.

IMG_20140831_133703377_zpshummltyh.jpg

Bill, when was that pic taken? Looks like Banks Lake. Aric sure loves his dye packs, always freaks people out that there's antifreeze in the water. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gorilla said:

Bill, when was that pic taken? Looks like Banks Lake. Aric sure loves his dye packs, always freaks people out that there's antifreeze in the water. 

Yea, that was summer of 2014, right at the foot of Steamboat Rock. It was pretty funny to see that stuff all over the shoreline.

22 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Yea, that was summer of 2014, right at the foot of Steamboat Rock. It was pretty funny to see that stuff all over the shoreline.

you dye the water???

You could just do like the local dealer with the moomba with a advertising wrap on it and just beach it like they did last weekend. Not sure if the kids didn't know it had a prop under it or not but I didn't see it out after that so I'd guess they trashed it

6 minutes ago, Kalamazoo said:

you dye the water???

Their called sea dye markers..... used to make yourself more visible from the air when your stranded at sea. Not sure who set it off that weekend, but it always gets some good reactions. You can get them for cheap on Ebay for your next raft up party.

formulaben
1 hour ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Their called sea dye markers..... used to make yourself more visible from the air when your stranded at sea. Not sure who set it off that weekend, but it always gets some good reactions. You can get them for cheap on Ebay for your next raft up party.

Looks like I have another item on my buy list...SAFETY FIRST! :rofl:

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Looks like I have another item on my buy list...SAFETY FIRST! :rofl:

Could you imagine the poop storm if you did this at the LP marina? :whistle:

to the OP, I use a box anchor and sand spike when in shallow water. 

• Like 2
On 7/6/2016 at 0:01 PM, Kalamazoo said:

1.5" pvc pipe. cut one end at 30 degrees, put a tee on the other. overall length up to you, mine are about 5'. keep two 6" pieces as handles for the tee (I don't glue them in).

as long as it's not too rocky these sink deeply quite easily with a twist/push. don't go bigger than 1.5" as you want them to flex vs getting yanked out. two is normally plenty but i keep 3 in the boat just in case.

I do this for the pontoon. I opted for something a bit more compact in my bu: http://www.sandbaranchors.com/