Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help choosing kids wakeboard

asnowman

Our summer has been off to a sad start, have not even taken the boat out yet as our lake house in still being renovated, long bad story there, but we are hoping to get in the house by the end of the month.

So I want to get my kids some new toys to use when we finally get back on the water.  I don't know much (ok anything) about wakeboards, but my 10 yr son is chomping at the bit to get back on his board, which i know he has outgrown.  He only started boarding last year, and towards the end of summer was starting to jump in and out of the wake. But his feet grew a bunch and he got about 5" taller.  He is now 5' tall, and wears a men's size 6 shoe, and weighs in at a meager 82 lbs.   I have no idea where to start, so looking for any recomendations.  He was on an older liquid force 118, that's about all i know.

and since pictures are always better.... here he is getting in late last summer

Ty on Swimdeck.JPG

My advice would be to go bigger than typical recommendations for younger riders. I put my daughter on a 134 tribute. She is about 5'4 90lbs. The tribute is a good all around board as folks are learning. It has a nice rolled edge that makes it a bit more forgiving, 2 molded fins and a center fin that can be sized up, down or even removed as desired. 

I like the tribute specifically, but the key is to find something that is not too aggressive.  The Tribute is a bit older board but another option would be a franchise. 

My son was similar last year at 10, little over 5', 110#. He was using an entry level O'Brien 124. He got up pretty easily on it, did some wake jumps and such, had pretty good control. The only thing I didn't like about that board is the ends have the built in tunnel (not sure the technical name) and always wants to pull straight, had a hard time switching front foot. This year, well, we haven't even gotten the boat out due to other activities. But I am afraid he's outgrown that board due to his foot size and weight. If we get the boat out, I'm in the same position of trying to find a new board.

While shorter, my kid is the same weight and foot size as you.  He's been riding a ronix vision 120cm (and the divide boots) for a couple years.  Awesome board.

Why does he need a larger board?  Size looks good in the pictures (shape of the ronix vision will give him better pop on the wake).  You may want to consider just boots and his old board.

http://www.ronixwakestore.com/ronix-vision-wakeboard-with-divide-boot-2016.html

Just stuck my 5'4" 100 lb son on my old 136 b-side this weekend. He had no problems with it and it actually seemed to work really well.  He had a big growth spurt from last year.  He is small for his age at 14, but was on a 109 motive till this year.  

Don't be afraid to try some of the smaller "adult" boards.

Definitely get him off that LF 118. We had that same board for our kids. They all learned on it, but it's very limited and they grow out of it fast mainly because the shape is so narrow (not much surface area) and the boots are mounted so close together. 

We upgraded my daughter to the Ronix 120 and even though it's only 2cm longer it's significantly wider, more stable, and boots are mounted wiser too. It was a good upgrade for her. She's also 10 but has been on it two years ago.  That said your guy looks a little big for it. 

37 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Definitely get him off that LF 118. We had that same board for our kids. They all learned on it, but it's very limited and they grow out of it fast mainly because the shape is so narrow (not much surface area) and the boots are mounted so close together. 

We upgraded my daughter to the Ronix 120 and even though it's only 2cm longer it's significantly wider, more stable, and boots are mounted wiser too. It was a good upgrade for her. She's also 10 but has been on it two years ago.  That said your guy looks a little big for it. 

Funny we went the other way. Found that the wider ends on the Ronix through our then 7year old around at the wake. Went to a 118 LF star and the improvement was instantaneous, still riding it now at almost 10. 

That said she is vertically challenged and will probably go to a 124 sometime this coming season.

To the OP's question I would look at 128's, there are a lot more options at that size.

Thanks for the input so far, biggest concern is the adult boots on a Jr board.

I was concerned adult boards might be too stiff, but he sure isn't getting any smaller. I swear he grew an inch at summer camp over the last 2 weeks.

Then we will need to get him a surf board.

On July 7, 2016 at 10:06 PM, geogilbert said:

My advice would be to go bigger than typical recommendations for younger riders. I put my daughter on a 134 tribute. She is about 5'4 90lbs. The tribute is a good all around board as folks are learning. It has a nice rolled edge that makes it a bit more forgiving, 2 molded fins and a center fin that can be sized up, down or even removed as desired. 

I like the tribute specifically, but the key is to find something that is not too aggressive.  The Tribute is a bit older board but another option would be a franchise. 

+1 for this, my youngest son starting riding at 5 years old on a 134 Hyperlite Broadcast.  It was never an issue, pic below of him on it at 6.  Ironically he is now 13 and riding a 134 Parks Modella, this will probably be his last year on the 134 because its now getting too small.  Man, I love that pic....geesh how time flies!

ShastaDay1Summer2009110_zpse190fb2e.jpg

Well, he is off to camp again next week, but HOPEFULLY:Frustrated: we can get into our lake house the week after.  I checked in at the local board shop, nothing that would fit him on hand at the moment, owner says they have sold a ton of kids gear this year, but there is more on the way.  He's always been good to us, so i'd like to go there first, but always helps to know what i should be looking for. 

Thanks for suggestions so far, I'll certainly update with what we get.

I would look at the Hyperlite Murray JR and also look at the Slingshot Super Grom  130. One of these will be Aidens board next season for sure. These board seem to be in-between sizes for kids his size /weight.