Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Post your Surf Pics and Vid's here........

Stevo

@Stevo What board are you on? I'm on attempt 100+ on the Victoria Factor. That's probably $1000 worth of gas for the dang 3. 

Good advice above regarding shoulder placement. I'm going to focus on that next time out.

Edited by Josh4mc
On August 4, 2016 at 8:55 PM, -BS- said:

Don't even think about spinning the board.  That board will follow your chin.  

This might be the most helpful thing I have read here. I came all the way around on every spin I tried yesterday (first time that's happened). Now I need to stay in the wave! 

1 hour ago, Josh4mc said:

@Stevo What board are you on? I'm on attempt 100+ on the Victoria Factor. That's probably $1000 worth of gas for the dang 3. 

Good advice above regarding shoulder placement. I'm going to focus on that next time out.

That is the Ronix 5-1 carbon thruster.

@Stevo -- while @-BS- can effortlessly boost airs on that cwb tsunami (betcha he could make a landlock look good) for me the secret on getting air was the soulcraft. Makes getting air so easy it's getting kinda boring.  Like @Josh4mc I'm just expanding my carbon footprint trying to un-spin the dang factor.  

13962526_10208832483622379_6398784433167

• Like 3

@-BS- once had a really good tutorial on how to get the board out of the water... maybe he can be persuaded to repost here.  The thing from his explanation that started clicking with me was to not try to make a speed sapping bottom turn and also that the board only goes as high as your feet, so gotta get those knees up (I still have trouble getting my back knee up as in the pic... it's like I'm still 15 and trying to do an ollie to tail tap on the local ditch).

• Like 3

This is what works for me; 

First off, pick a spot in the wave you want to hit.  The firmest, poppiest part of the wave, usually 4' ish off the swim step, but may be a bit farther back on the gated waves.  With that in mind;

1. Go as far back in the wave as you feel comfortable.

2. Take the biggest, most aggressive first pump you can to start your speed gathering as quickly as possible .  (For me, this motion is similar to a box jump exercise)

3. Your second (&third if you need it) pump should be a short, quick pump where you stay somewhat high on the face of the wave. It should maintain your speed or gain more. Like Shawn said; don't round off these pumps.  They should be down-the-line pumps, not rounded turns which will scrub speed. 

4. Aim for your spot.  If your pumps have overshot or undershot your spot, go back and start over. Find that starting point that allows you to hit your spot with 2 or 3 pumps.  If you miss your spot, don't waste energy trying to air it out, just start over.  When I'm working on grabs I miss my spot all the time. 

5. When you hit your spot, your hands should initially be low and your knees bent.  As you leave the wave take all your weight up with you.... Your chin, your shoulders, your hands... all should be moving up (that's why all these pics of guys getting air, they're hands are clear up at shoulder level or higher.... unless they're grabbing, in which case they brought their hands back down AFTER they got air) 

6. Your board is only going to go as high as your feet.  The last thing to leave the wave is your toes. Think of pushing off with your 'toes', not your 'feet' (if that makes sense?)   Get those knees up.  The board will follow.

In short:  start at the back...one BIG aggressive pump.... one short quick pump high on the wave....hit your spot.... take everything up with you (chin, hands, knees).... push off with your toes..... Get your knees up. 

** and BTW; do as I say, not as I do. :lol:  It's not like I'm getting 3' of air.  Between my athletic ability and my board, I'm only getting enough air to do a handful of quick grabs.  And yeah; get a Soulcraft... Lol... those things add 12" of air for me.  

Wish I could give some advice but I need to learn those myself.  

Sorry for those that saw this in the other thread, but I thought I would throw it up here too.  A little bit of wakeboarding here but mainly surfing. 

6 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Looking good Raimie!

Maybe start a little more in the flats or closer to the boat. It looks like the wave is getting you before your half way around.

What size board?

Thanks! It's a 5'4. It seems like I am close to the boat, then I watch the video and it looks like I am way back. Ug.  Frustrated and I can't go again until the weekend!

9 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Looking good Raimie!

Maybe start a little more in the flats or closer to the boat. It looks like the wave is getting you before your half way around.

What size board?

^^Agree, watch @-BS- video on the previous page and see how low in the trough his spin is. When you are up on the lip it is carrying you out the back of the wave.

8 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

^^^I think i read somewhere that you need to flap your arms more. 

I'm gonna need a JJ video contribution to this thread. I'm having trouble visualizing what you are explaining 

15 hours ago, Raimie said:

Ok, so still struggling with the 360. Any advice based on this little compilation of fails?

Try only using sticking your right hand in the wave. 

When you stick both in the extra force of the water pulls you too hard and pulls you over the wave. 

Just using your rear hand will be enough to spin you, but shouldn't pull you over the top as easily. 

@Raimie 

You've got waaaay too much weight leaning out over the board.  You've got both hands out there, your head, and your shoulders.  Because of that, the instant you  put your hands in the water you're being carried up and out of the wave.  

When you initiate it, you need to have your shoulders and head back over the board, and reach out with your front hand. It should be similar to the stance you'd be in to guard someone in basketball: knees bent, back straight, chin up, hands up..... then simply reach out with one hand, and TURN YOUR HEAD (and keep turning it).

Ok, that was the bad news. lol.  The good news is that you look super comfy on your board and that you're aware of what's happening as it happens (as opposed to the riders that look like a whirlwind tornado when they're spinning).... so once you start getting the correct posture/stance, I think you're going to get it really quickly.

good luck!  Keep us posted!