Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Short Guide poles

twitchee2

I tried searching and did not come up with much of a solution to my problem. I have an Ellis trailer and a 2001 SSLXI.  The guide poles on the trailer are rather short and every time I load, I end up scuffing something. Do you have any suggestions on how to make these better? Do I need to extend them? Add a roller horizontal to the top of the pole? Just different material to slide against?  The ramps near me are steep and the top of the guide pole usually ends up right in the middle of the malibu tribal logo on the side.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

0705161746_zpswhp7vyf9.jpg

0705161746a_zpsi4lls6gc.jpg

0705161747_zpsxjwnnvzs.jpg

0705161746b_zpsdoamxt9g.jpg

The flex pvc is heavy enough to survive Texas Freeways.  Just drop it over the steel post. I painted the caps black. Mine are too long which makes them wide at the top and I should shorten them some. 

7 minutes ago, RedOwl said:

Dumb question:

How/do you secure the flex PVC to the trailer? If it is unsecured, will it blow off at HWY speeds?

Factory boatmate trailers with round posts have PVC sleeves over the steel posts, never heard of one falling off.  If you use the guidepost pads then they float up even quicker.

17 minutes ago, twitchee2 said:

@Bozboat perfect!! Is that 3 inch??

I think it's four inch, as the posts were too wide for the smaller flex pvc. I got the idea from a friend that has the smaller diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

I put pipe insulation (think pool noodle) around the pvc, helps it float even better and obviously nice if my boat rubs on it.

So I was on a 10 hours drive yesterday and was doing some thinking on this. I have the fabrication ability to chop off the square guide poles and adapt them to round poles.  Do you think it would be worth the effort? I think it will make everything much easier in the future. What size do I go with?