Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

overheating Malibu Response 1996 impeller ?

shifdog

Just had my boat overheat this evening. First time its ever happened. (Worst, my little 6 year old was all amped up to wakeboard....)

I put up on lift and did pull out a few bits of weeds from the intake underneath, but still was getting up to 190 on temp gauge and the red light with beeping.  This leads me to think I should swap out impeller.

i'm digging for manual on but can't seem to find the correct part to replace the impeller for my Malibu Response 1996. any ideas ? 

help !!??

Call your closest Malibu dealer, and order 2 impellers.

I bet your current one is mangled. Check your lines for debris too.

when you say check my "lines" what are you referring to ? 

I've been lucky that this is my first time with overheating so am a novice on what to check.

Check the hose from this side of the engine.  It goes from the impeller housing (on the other side), underneath the engine and connects to what looks like a long tube with two hydraulic lines attached to it.  Don't do anything with the hydraulic lines.  Remove the water hose that feeds the transmission cooler from the impeller, and you will see a honeycomb-like screen on the inside of the transmission cooler - that is where debris is often trapped.

5733a4908768f_2016enginepic7resized.thum

Guys, thanks so much. This was a huge help. 

I have a Malibu Response 1996 Mercruiser 350 engine.  The impeller was completely ground down with zero spindles left.

For anyone else needing to replace impeller on this same engine. Make sure you remove the wheel with belt directly from the engine block to save yourself alot of time and effort.

here is good link for video