Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Law for Wakesurfing in NSW Australia

mkpursehouse

The below new law that has come into effect as of 1st July here in NSW is getting the wakesurfing social media on its toes. I'm curious to know what the laws/rules are in your area. I'm guessing the sales of FAE's and/or CAT's will be increasing.

Capture.JPG

It looks like if you have a VD or a DD, so long as you have an FAE you will be good to surf or wb. I noticed they were keen to specifically discourage the stern drive types from surfing and rightly so! I don't know what the equivelant AUS dollars to US dollars is, but that would be about a $500.00 fix over here. Surrprisingly where I am at the only restrictions for surf or wbing is nothing is allowed after dark. Up to this point at least where I am standing I guess the law figures Darwin will take care of the stupid ones!

16 minutes ago, wdr said:

It looks like if you have a VD or a DD, so long as you have an FAE you will be good to surf or wb. I noticed they were keen to specifically discourage the stern drive types from surfing and rightly so! I don't know what the equivelant AUS dollars to US dollars is, but that would be about a $500.00 fix over here. Surrprisingly where I am at the only restrictions for surf or wbing is nothing is allowed after dark. Up to this point at least where I am standing I guess the law figures Darwin will take care of the stupid ones!

what's a FAE?

52 minutes ago, mkpursehouse said:

The below new law that has come into effect as of 1st July here in NSW is getting the wakesurfing social media on its toes. I'm curious to know what the laws/rules are in your area. I'm guessing the sales of FAE's and/or CAT's will be increasing.

Capture.JPG

Good to know.

Fresh Air Exhaust system, basically a metal pipe collector that puts the dual or single exhausts deepr into the water to diffuse and keep the fumes from affecting the rider. That would be the Carbon monoxide emission mitigating equipment they mention in the regulation. I was seriously considering adding myself if for no other reason than to quiet the exhaust. Google FAE, it shows some pretty impressive results.

Edited by wdr
19 minutes ago, wdr said:

I would consider exhaust manifolds having catalytic converters to qualify as "carbon monoxide emission mitigating equipment."  At least in the US, most all wakeboats made after 2009 (or maybe 2010, can't remember) would be exempt.

Just now, Cory said:

I would consider exhaust manifolds having catalytic converters to qualify as "carbon monoxide emission mitigating equipment."  At least in the US, most all wakeboats made after 2009 (or maybe 2010, can't remember) would be exempt.

Good point Cory. I guess you would have to look up the definition of emissions mitigating equipment to know for sure. 

If fact, that law is broad enough that I could easily argue that the turn down exhaust tips are "mitigating" equipment.  It doesn't stipulate how much mitigation is needed.  Hell, EFI and underwater exhaust mitigates carbon monoxide.  It doesn't say the mitigation has to be while underway.  You don't need to be a lawyer to weasel around that language. 

Edited by Cory
Just now, mkpursehouse said:

@Cory, that's what I meant when I said "CAT's". My problem is I have a 2006 vride with the Indmar LCR320, so no CAT's.

@AussieSkier - check out this link for info on the FAE; http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

I didn't notice your CAT statement--sorry for repeating.  You have EFI--that mitigates CO2.  I'd argue your underwater exhaust constitutes mitigation equipment.  The law does not require that the mitigation occurs while underway or at a specific speed.  So, your underwater exhaust mitigates CO2 while underway until the exhaust lifts out of the water.  The mere fact that the exhaust ports are under the swim step and not above the swim platform (like an 80's jet boat) constitutes a mitigation of CO2.  

Thanks

do you know if it is it the same a the Malibu option "Surf Pipe"? Or if the new VTX 6.2L has enough emission control standard?

@Cory, I was thinking the same thing. I'm keen on a set of turn down tips. I do wonder if that would surfice? Keen to know how heavily this will be enforced & what they will do to check if you comply. Will they be taking an underwater dive to see what you have fitted below the waterline or make you take the boat out at the ramp??? Thinking there will be a lot discussion over this one.

3 minutes ago, Cory said:

I didn't notice your CAT statement--sorry for repeating.  You have EFI--that mitigates CO2.  I'd argue your underwater exhaust constitutes mitigation equipment.  The law does not require that the mitigation occurs while underway or at a specific speed.  So, your underwater exhaust mitigates CO2 while underway until the exhaust lifts out of the water.  The mere fact that the exhaust ports are under the swim step and not above the swim platform (like an 80's jet boat) constitutes a mitigation of CO2.  

Thanks for clarifying

1 minute ago, Cory said:

The above would be my arguments with the cop who pulled me over or the judge if I was contesting the ticket.  Of course, I don't know anything about Australian law.  

sounds like a good argument to use in Aus if in the same predicament.....

9 minutes ago, AussieSkier said:

Thanks

do you know if it is it the same a the Malibu option "Surf Pipe"? Or if the new VTX 6.2L has enough emission control standard?

I would have thought that the 2016 VTX with the 6.2L would have the CAT as standard install. I'd check with the dealer that sold it to you or have a look yourself at your exhaust manifolds to see if they are the CAT version.

Here you are only allowed to surf behind inboards.  You have to have an observer, and sunrise to sunset.  No restrictions on cats, etc.

FAE is huge,  even though my boat is 2015, it does not have CATS so CO2 was a concern for me.   

For sake of argument, 23 lsv, 1/2 length ~12 ft, 7 meters back, would be just over 10' from the platform.   I get close than that frequently. 

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

Here you are only allowed to surf behind inboards.  You have to have an observer, and sunrise to sunset.  No restrictions on cats, etc.

FAE is huge,  even though my boat is 2015, it does not have CATS so CO2 was a concern for me.   

For sake of argument, 23 lsv, 1/2 length ~12 ft, 7 meters back, would be just over 10' from the platform.   I get close than that frequently. 

Are you sure your boat doesn't have CATS?  I thought Indmar dropped the LCR engine because it didn't have CATS and California law started requiring it in 2009 (or 2010).  It was my understanding that Malibu went with CATS across the whole lineup after California introduced that rule no matter what state you reside in (I know your in AZ).  

Edited by Cory
7 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I have the 572 LSA, no CATS.

Your are right...

"This is another exciting year for Indmar and for the marine industry. Indmar has expanded its line of marine inboard engines equipped with catalytic converters. Indmar’s ETX/CAT system reduces exhaust emissions, including carbon monoxide (CO), to provide a cleaner and safer boating experience for you and your family. ETX/CAT is standard on all 5.7L, 6.0L and 6.2L naturally aspirated Electronic Fuel Injected (EFI) engines built for sale in the U.S. and Canada."  (From the Indmar Operator's Manual)

Edited by Cory
2 hours ago, mkpursehouse said:

I would have thought that the 2016 VTX with the 6.2L would have the CAT as standard install. I'd check with the dealer that sold it to you or have a look yourself at your exhaust manifolds to see if they are the CAT version.

Just got off the phone to my dealer. The new 6.2 comes std with CATS and all emission control required.

• Like 1

GRE Marine had that up on Facebook yesterday. Will make for an interesting summer. Guess NSW Maritime will watch wake effects more now on busy days.

Fairly sure the turn down tips won't cut it with the CATs.

Even with the CAT's I found the exhaust fumes to be uncomfortable at idle or playing at low speeds with a surf wake.

Went the FAE & could not be happier.

Greatly reduced the fumes

Quitened down the boat for those early runs

Bonus stero upgrade with the reduced exhaust noise.

FAE, Surf Pipe are basically the same concept, dump the exhaust below the water line while underway just above  the centerline of the prop

15 hours ago, DarkSide said:

And I was going to use the "I have no idea how far 7 meters is" as an excuse.... thanks for ruining that :)

7 meters is like 21 feet.    It says that you need to be more than 7 meters from the center of the STERN of the boat, so that would be roughly 19 feet from the back of the swimstep.  

I challenge anyone to find a documented case of serious carbon monoxide poisoning injury while wakesurfing, anywhere.   It has never happened.  Teak surfing is totally different.  This law is clearly fixing a problem that did not need a fix.  And if you do find a case, I will be willing to guarantee they were not wearing a life vest.  

I know in the case of the guy who sued Calabria, his kid was holding onto the swim platform as he drove along, and he sued them for him not knowing that having your child's face 30 inches from a giant exhaust pipe might be a problem.  His child may have fainted from the carbon monoxide, but the 40 minutes on the bottom of the lake sealed the deal.  Wear a life vest when behind the boat, people!  

Edited by TallRedRider

AussieSkier / Strada1 your right it will make for an interesting summer.

Guess NSW MSB will enforce this on the Murray as more and more boats now have surf gate or similar.

I have turn downs on mine and pretty sure it has CAT's also

• Like 1