Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Absolute best way to tie up to slip

SnubNose

Use whatever caribiner you prefer. Just make sure it's strong enough and is made from a material that won't rust to nothing the first year. I just tied to them using a slipknot.

5 hours ago, SnubNose said:

Should I use carabiners for rear cleat line and for spring line ? 

Carabiners work great if you're tieing to the bow ring or stern lifting rings. Kind of unnecessary if you're going to a cleat though. 

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is exactly how we tie up our boat except the front line goes to a carabiner that we hook on the front eye hook. We use carabiners on the rear lines too (they clip on the two rear lift points) and all lines are permanently attached to the dock.  Three quick clips and your are unhooked and away, or clipped in and secure. After the initial set up, there is no messing with line lengths ever.  We just use regular dock line.  No bungee needed as there is plenty of natural give in the lines to ensure the boat can move with the waves, but not come close to hitting the dock. We have a floating dock however, so the relative position of the dock to the boat is always the same.

I've tied up our boats for 20 plus years and never had a single issue with this method.

We use something like this for ropes: https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Double-Dockline-2-Inch-15-Foot/dp/B004XAD77G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469826088&sr=8-1&keywords=boat+dock+ropes

Edited by sic0048

I'll start by saying I only tie up for a week about once a year in a slip.  That said, boat has handled a couple windy storms and boats driving by with zero issues or worries.

4 cheap ropes.  Nothing special at all.  I spend about 10 minutes the first time putting her in the slip to get it perfect for the week then I am good to go.  I loop through each cleat the start setting my lengths on the cleats on the dock.  The goal is to have the boat be able to move all directions without ever touching the dock.  If it starts getting too close, tighten the rope a bit on the opposite side.

You don't want it super tight as there needs to be some give for waves.  Also, too tight will make it impossible to pull the ropes off the cleats.  When we leave, simply unhook from the cleats and go.  Come back in, hook the 4 ropes  back on and you are good.  Quick and easy. 

The one year we stayed at a place with just a dock on one side, I just used my Exile Bouy balls and tied hard against them.  Not as good of a setup.

Just saying that at any walmart or meijer near the water all of the shoreline marine braided lines are on clearance this time of year. I bought a whole basket full at a few dollar each. Get the 1/2" if you can.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Marine-Double-Braided-Nylon-Dock-Line/36588793

Or easy with prime: https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Double-Braided-Nylon/dp/B00VURSP4A/ref=pd_sim_200_21?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AhTR6v7nL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR102%2C160_&refRID=HK8C9QD69EM4VMQDGTDR

I use these on my pontoon boat. Two of them on a 24 footer in constant waves. They have lasted 2 years now without an issue at all.

Edited by 95echelon
  • 4 years later...
21 minutes ago, AKANE1314 said:

Could someone resend the image of the best way to tie up in a slip that does get waves with boats going by?

Mooring whips would be best.  Failing that, bow out - stretchy ropes and a Dock Buddy.  thumbs_001-500.jpg

1 hour ago, AKANE1314 said:

Could someone resend the image of the best way to tie up in a slip that does get waves with boats going by?

Babz fenders for protection and dock bungees to centre in the slip but also use standard ropes incase the bungees over stretch.