Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Absolute best way to tie up to slip

SnubNose

So everytime I hit the lake the biggest pain in the a** for me and the group is docking up the boat in my slip and tieing it down properly. I want to know the bullet proof method to tieing it in the dock so I can leave in Friday- Sunday without a scratch. 

It is a pretty narrow slip with both sides surrounding boat. There are cleats on slip at the rear and front . The a** of my swim deck sticks out 3-4 out of slip. 

My Malibu mxz has 3 pop out cleats the bow hook and the transom hooks

I want to get all new ropes and everything. Should I get bungee or what do you recommend and where should.I buy them ?  I already have 6 black standard boat buoy for sides of boat. Where should I place these? Thanks. 

This would be the best way if you are in a full slip with docks on both sides. From here I would just put buoys on the dock as a safe guard. But if you tie it up this way you should never need the buoys. If anything you may want to add spring lines. But you shouldn't really need them if your cleats can be spaced the way they are in this image. All you need to use are the bow and transom eyes. Make sure that the you leave enough slack in the lines to allow movement for waves, but not enough to allow the boat to touch the dock. It would also be nice to know if the dock will be permanent or floating. And will water levels fluctuate much on your lake? Are you docking nose in or nose out (if you're not sure, ideally you would want the nose to be pointing towards the incoming waves)?

dock_lines_illustration_figure_c.gif

Edited by MaliWop
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

^^ Perfect except I would for sure put a spring line too. Without that you won't have solid control over the boat going forward/back depending on where the forward cleats are located on the dock.

From your mid ship cleat run a line to the back dock cleat and another line to the forward dock cleat. Or if the line is long enough you can just go from the back dock cleat to midship then back to the front dock cleat. Make sure you use hitch knots. 

Also, you can set it up so you have the hitch knots on the dock if the lines can stay there then you just have to loop it through and around the cleat (forget the name of this knot right now) on the boat and all of the lengths will be set every time. 

Make sure you buy good braided dock line. 3/8" is probably ok but if it's a 24 MXZ I might buy 1/2" for my permanent lines.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I would recommend just buying stainless clips for the end of the dock lines. Than you just snap them on when you pull up to the slip. That's what we do. It literally makes docking and tying a 30 second affair. The wife loves it. This works okay on a 22 MXZ as the clips will only ever hit the rubrail. There are other models that I wouldn't recommend using the clips on as they will rest on the gel coat and would likely cause damage over time.

4 hours ago, MaliWop said:

This would be the best way if you are in a full slip with docks on both sides. From here I would just put buoys on the dock as a safe guard. But if you tie it up this way you should never need the buoys. If anything you may want to add spring lines. But you shouldn't really need them if your cleats can be spaced the way they are in this image. All you need to use are the bow and transom eyes. Make sure that the you leave enough slack in the lines to allow movement for waves, but not enough to allow the boat to touch the dock. It would also be nice to know if the dock will be permanent or floating. And will water levels fluctuate much on your lake? Are you docking nose in or nose out (if you're not sure, ideally you would want the nose to be pointing towards the incoming waves)?

Too bad Malibu/Axis doesn't put cleats on the bow standard...

7 hours ago, MaliWop said:

So i actually go nose in first and stern hangs out like foot or two so the only way i can use the transom hooks is if the rope is tightly against the transom gel coat if you understand what i am saying. 

The water will flucuate, but the slip is within a marina with many slips around it so its permanent.

Like i said i have 3 pop out cleats on either side. The dock cleats are in line with the bow and stern cleats. There are two dock cleats on either side

8 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

^^ Perfect except I would for sure put a spring line too. Without that you won't have solid control over the boat going forward/back depending on where the forward cleats are located on the dock.

From your mid ship cleat run a line to the back dock cleat and another line to the forward dock cleat. Or if the line is long enough you can just go from the back dock cleat to midship then back to the front dock cleat. Make sure you use hitch knots. 

Also, you can set it up so you have the hitch knots on the dock if the lines can stay there then you just have to loop it through and around the cleat (forget the name of this knot right now) on the boat and all of the lengths will be set every time. 

Make sure you buy good braided dock line. 3/8" is probably ok but if it's a 24 MXZ I might buy 1/2" for my permanent lines.

Should i get bungees or regular braided rope? Where should i buy from ?

What size carabiner like 3 inch ? for bow eye 

Edited by SnubNose
ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, SnubNose said:

Should i get bungees or regular braided rope? Where should i buy from ?

What size carabiner like 3 inch ? for bow eye 

6 hours ago, SnubNose said:

Personally I always use line from West Marine, 3/8" Dock Line & 1/2" Dock Line. And no, I would not use those from wakemakers for long term/permanent tie ups. If you want something to allow for give in the line, use a snubber. I think 3" carabiner would be ok.

8 hours ago, SnubNose said:

So i actually go nose in first and stern hangs out like foot or two so the only way i can use the transom hooks is if the rope is tightly against the transom gel coat if you understand what i am saying. 

The water will flucuate, but the slip is within a marina with many slips around it so its permanent.

Like i said i have 3 pop out cleats on either side. The dock cleats are in line with the bow and stern cleats. There are two dock cleats on either side

In this case, I would continue to tie the bow off the same way as the picture. If there are cleats on the front dock (the one perpendicular to the boat) than use those. Run a line off each rear cleat straight across to the dock cleat. Than run a spring line on each middle cleat back to the same cleat that the rear dock lines are tied to. The spring lines will prevent the boat from drifting forward and allowing the nose to hit the dock. The bow lines will be enough to prevent the boat from slipping back too far if they are setup correctly. Once you have all of the lines in place, adjust them appropriately as to allow enough movement for waves and slight fluctuations in water level. Most importantly, make sure the boat can't hit the dock in any direction. Than put some buoys around the dock as a safety measure in case a line were ever to break or come loose. Once you have everything setup, leave the lines attached to the docks so that all you have to do is unloop/unclip the lines and pull out, and v.v. for coming back into the dock. This method will save you a ton of time and you'll never have to worry about wearing out your gelcoat with buoys.

I would just use good braided dock lines. Don't worry about the bungees in this application.

The other good alternative could be to install 4 slings. You're costs will go up significantly though.

Edited by MaliWop
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, MaliWop said:

In this case, I would continue to tie the bow off the same way as the picture. If there are cleats on the front dock (the one perpendicular to the boat) than use those. Run a line off each rear cleat straight across to the dock cleat. Than run a spring line on each middle cleat back to the same cleat that the rear dock lines are tied to. The spring lines will prevent the boat from drifting forward and allowing the nose to hit the dock. The bow lines will be enough to prevent the boat from slipping back too far if they are setup correctly. Once you have all of the lines in place, adjust them appropriately as to allow enough movement for waves and slight fluctuations in water level. Most importantly, make sure the boat can't hit the dock in any direction. Than put some buoys around the dock as a safety measure in case a line were ever to break or come loose. Once you have everything setup, leave the lines attached to the docks so that all you have to do is unloop/unclip the lines and pull out, and v.v. for coming back into the dock. This method will save you a ton of time and you'll never have to worry about wearing out your gelcoat with buoys.

I would just use good braided dock lines. Don't worry about the bungees in this application.

The other good alternative could be to install 4 slings. You're costs will go up significantly though.

Don't even use bungee for the spring lines ? And i run on spring line on both sides of boat correct?

What are slings? 

Should I just buy those buoys that you screw into the dock? The ones I have I have to hang from the boat. If I hang then from dock they are kinda low. 

Edited by SnubNose

I saw one guy do the front setup as we stated with a line from either side to bow eye hook. Then run a bungee from middle boat cleat to front dock cleat and from middle boat cleat to rear dock cleat. It seemed like this held pretty well and was really simple, but not sure if it provides superior protection. 

The slip is within a foot on either side so if i even put a buoy in there it is now within like 2-4 inches. Hardly any space. I am now guessing with this small amount of space you dont want any stretch or give to the rope?

I wouldn't use bungees. No need. And given the space you have to work with they might do more harm than good.

Any sort of protection on the dock will work. At the end of the day you have to go with what you're comfortable with. The hope is that whatever you end up using will never be required. In a perfect world....

Yes you need to do spring lines on both sides of the boat. You can do forward and aft spring lines if you want. I just run from the middle boat cleat to the rear dock cleat on my setup. I find that works with the 2 lines off the bow eye to keep the boat right where I need it.

Slings is not what I meant to say. I meant to say Mooring Whips. This is what they are. Sounds like you might not have the room for these though.

Been tieing mine up like this for years now. I have modified it a bit since this picture, there are a couple of bumpers tied to the dock near the back, eliminated the rear support, and coated the carabiners with Plastidip. Works great & it's quick in & out.

moored.jpg

• Like 3
9 hours ago, MaliWop said:

I wouldn't use bungees. No need. And given the space you have to work with they might do more harm than good.

Any sort of protection on the dock will work. At the end of the day you have to go with what you're comfortable with. The hope is that whatever you end up using will never be required. In a perfect world....

Yes you need to do spring lines on both sides of the boat. You can do forward and aft spring lines if you want. I just run from the middle boat cleat to the rear dock cleat on my setup. I find that works with the 2 lines off the bow eye to keep the boat right where I need it.

Slings is not what I meant to say. I meant to say Mooring Whips. This is what they are. Sounds like you might not have the room for these though.

Ok so I'll buy 6-8 dock lines depeding on foward and aft spring line and 2 carabiner for front lines to eye . Plus carabiner for each buoy to attach to boat. 

Don't attach the buoys to the boat. It makes a mess of your gel coat. Attach the buoys to the dock. Again, if you have it tied up properly the boat will never have a chance to need buoy's. they are only there for emergency's should a line ever break or come loose when you aren't present.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MaliWop said:

Don't attach the buoys to the boat. It makes a mess of your gel coat. Attach the buoys to the dock. Again, if you have it tied up properly the boat will never have a chance to need buoy's. they are only there for emergency's should a line ever break or come loose when you aren't present.

Crazy everyone in the marina ties their buoys to the center cleat on the boat. I was gonna tie them to the grab handles and tower but I think the "mess" part comes from the actual buoy sitting on the gel coat ? 

2 hours ago, MaliWop said:

Wax your bumpers. Or install sleeves on them. I've never had a problem with them messing up my gelcoat.

I have seen them mess up the vinyl decals though.

I'd use carabiners for all of them if you can. Makes the process much quicker. I have the same boat as you and fortunately our rubrails are right below the dock cleats. So the carabiners won't hit or rub on the gelcoat. A friend of mine has a new 25 LSV. On that boat they'd be resting on the gelcoat. So different story.

Just now, MaliWop said:

I'd use carabiners for all of them if you can. Makes the process much quicker. I have the same boat as you and fortunately our rubrails are right below the dock cleats. So the carabiners won't hit or rub on the gelcoat. A friend of mine has a new 25 LSV. On that boat they'd be resting on the gelcoat. So different story.

What size and type of carabiner do you use and how do you tie your rope to the carabiner ?

There's no cleat on my dock for a buoy in the center which is the closest spot to the slip panel on either side. That's why I was thinking of hanging down from tower or not using buoy at all there. I've seen guys use those throw pads hanging from tower than are more cover material then the buoy 

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

Can you add a cleat to the dock? Always good to have one in the middle anyway.

x2

Most marinas around her are okay with you adding cleats. If so that is your best bet. If you can attach the buoys to the dock it'll be the best way to go. Anything that you have to hang from the boat requires you to remove it and re-install it every time you leave the dock and come back. I don't know about you, but when I'm going boating the only extra work I do needs to involve me hanging on to a rope off the back of the boat. If you can't get around it and have to hang buoys off the boat, do as Bill_AirJunky said and use fleece sleeves on the buoys. The rash on the gelcoat isn't near as worrisome when the boat is kept from rubbing on the dock.

5 minutes ago, MaliWop said:

x2

Most marinas around her are okay with you adding cleats. If so that is your best bet. If you can attach the buoys to the dock it'll be the best way to go. Anything that you have to hang from the boat requires you to remove it and re-install it every time you leave the dock and come back. I don't know about you, but when I'm going boating the only extra work I do needs to involve me hanging on to a rope off the back of the boat. If you can't get around it and have to hang buoys off the boat, do as Bill_AirJunky said and use fleece sleeves on the buoys. The rash on the gelcoat isn't near as worrisome when the boat is kept from rubbing on the dock.

How bout instead of adding cleat I justhink get those permanent buoy that you bolt onto slip? We are allowed to add to slip cause we own it  

Did you see question about carabiner size and style?