Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Northern CA Lakes in 2016?

BWS22

I'm just getting back into boating this year and I am trying to figure out which lakes others in the area recommend this year (kid/family friendly is a must because I have 2 young ones).

I mostly spent my time at Clear Lake in my younger years with occasional trips to the delta because that was where my buddy that owned the boat liked to go.  I've been trying some new spots this year but curious what others think.  I live on the SF peninsula so everything is a drive and for at least this year I am storing the boat in downtown Sacramento because it was the best indoor option I found with space when I got the boat in April.  That makes it less convenient to hit  Berryessa and the Delta but is closer to a lot of other spots and my wife's hometown of Grass Valley and her sister that live in Tahoe.

So far we've been to New Bullards Bar, Englebright, Folsom and Clear Lake.  Spent the 4th at Clear Lake and we learned that the Lucerne/Nice side is worthless after 3pm (and the lake water is still green).  We really liked Bullards but that is not an ideal day trip.  So far we've only done a day trip to Folsom because it is close to our boat storage.  I actually have the boat at home this week so considering a day trip to Berryessa.  

Other options to check out are Tulloch, Don Pedro, New Hogan, New Melones.  All are going to be a trek for you so day tips are out of the question. There are also launch ramps that have delta access up near Sac as well. Have you checked out Orwood for boat storage?  I think it is like $220 a month for a boat with tower and free launches. They tend to have a wait list though.  

From Sacramento you could launch at Wimpy's on the Delta. Not too far of a drive, and the northern part of the Delta is under appreciated for family adventures.

1 hour ago, Roush611 said:

Other options to check out are Tulloch, Don Pedro, New Hogan, New Melones.  All are going to be a trek for you so day tips are out of the question. There are also launch ramps that have delta access up near Sac as well. Have you checked out Orwood for boat storage?  I think it is like $220 a month for a boat with tower and free launches. They tend to have a wait list though.  

Orwood is only place I've launched from back in the day with buddy.  I was originally looking at an indoor spot in Antioch (Bay Indoor) because it's closer, but if I'm not hitting the delta all the time it might not be the best spot.  Whiskey Slough looks like a pretty nice setup for a delta spot if I were only to go there.

3 hours ago, shadetreefab said:

What day are thinking about berryessa, we will be out tomorrow afternoon and Saturday 9-5

Looking at possibly Saturday, but partly depends on if I have to take my boat back to storage in Sac or not.  I'm going to get a new stereo from Pure Audio in Fairfield (40th bday present) and they may be able to squeeze me in soon, depending on when my speakers come in as there was a bit of a back order on the tower speakers.  

Where do you launch at Berryessa and is there a best route up there?  

we launch out of steel canyon (steel park), leaving pure audio right on central, left on pittman, pittman turns into Suisun valley after the overpass, then it turns into wooden valley, go tell it ends and make right on to Monticello/hwy 121, right on cappell valley/ hwy128, from there right on steel canyon or straight to free launch or Spanish flats, your looking at about 35-45 minutes from pure audio to the water.

I think it will last tell the end of the month. It's at 406' now and they usually close the free launch at 403', lakes dropping about an inch a day

We're new to the Bay Area but have skied the following in the past few months.

- Tahoe

- Delta

- New Melones

- Camanche

- Berryessa

- Anderson Lake

I can't really say a bad thing about any of them except that the water in the Delta being a little 'dirty'. New Melones was great as was Berryessa. Anderson was great but small. We were there on a quiet day so it was good but can easily see it getting busy. Next up is Shasta, Oroville and Bullards bar. We really are spoiled here.

Union Valley reservoir.  From Sac, it's about an hour. Take HWY 50 east past Pollock Pines.  Turn onto Ice House Rd.  about 20-30 minutes you'll be there.  Looks like Tahoe but much warmer and without the ridiculous inspection fees.  We come down from Tahoe several times a year.  There's plenty of coves to wakeboard in when the wind kicks up.  

• Like 2

Berreyessa will be your best bet for a day trip within 1.5 hrs,

30 minutes ago, Slaney said:

Union Valley reservoir.  From Sac, it's about an hour. Take HWY 50 east past Pollock Pines.  Turn onto Ice House Rd.  about 20-30 minutes you'll be there.  Looks like Tahoe but much warmer and without the ridiculous inspection fees.  We come down from Tahoe several times a year.  There's plenty of coves to wakeboard in when the wind kicks up.  

I may have to check this joint out...

There's also ice house which is a stones throw away from union valley. Great for camping but it's a pretty Nast drive up the hill from 50. Going up 80 you have a few more choices of Rollins and Clementine. Sac river can be good too, especially on breezy days.  Like he delta, there's always flat water somewhere on the river. Just gotta know which way the wind blows. 

Popped my Berryessa cherry yesterday.  Launched out of Steele Park and the water is so low there that trailers were dropping off the end of the ramp.  That lake by far looks to be the lowest vs old water lines that I have seen this year.

One funny moment was when I went to pull up the box anchor after after some floating in a cove and I was really struggling.  I turned 40 on Thursday and was thinking I couldn't be falling apart that quickly because I felt like I needed a winch to pull up the anchor.  I finally got it near the surface and found that I caught a huge rock in the anchor.

I hope to check out Rollins and/or Scotts Flat this year on next weekend trip to the inlaws.  Has anyone been to Almanor?  I see you can rent houses on the lake and was thinking about it for a summer 2017 getaway.

46 minutes ago, BWS22 said:

Popped my Berryessa cherry yesterday.  Launched out of Steele Park and the water is so low there that trailers were dropping off the end of the ramp.  That lake by far looks to be the lowest vs old water lines that I have seen this year.

One funny moment was when I went to pull up the box anchor after after some floating in a cove and I was really struggling.  I turned 40 on Thursday and was thinking I couldn't be falling apart that quickly because I felt like I needed a winch to pull up the anchor.  I finally got it near the surface and found that I caught a huge rock in the anchor.

I hope to check out Rollins and/or Scotts Flat this year on next weekend trip to the inlaws.  Has anyone been to Almanor?  I see you can rent houses on the lake and was thinking about it for a summer 2017 getaway.

LOL it's not the rock, it's turning 40 - wait till you hit 50 double lol!!

I just got back from Almaonor, it's a big lake.  The water is cool, not Tahoe cold but not Folsom warm. The wind usually picks up by 1 and it gets very rough.  That said, I really like it up there.  When its its windy I go fishing or golfing or hang out on the beach. 

10 hours ago, jgreen said:

I just got back from Almaonor, it's a big lake.  The water is cool, not Tahoe cold but not Folsom warm. The wind usually picks up by 1 and it gets very rough.  That said, I really like it up there.  When its its windy I go fishing or golfing or hang out on the beach. 

I feel the same way about Donner lake, on the cold side , and wind picks up early afternoon, (best to ride before 12, or after 5) west end is sheltered the best, but every jet ski and boat rental is pretty much on that end so Tubes and Wally's galore.

we have a cabin up there a block from the lake and regularly opt for Boca , Stampede , or Prosser  resivoirs just outside of truckee

Edited by Stevo

About to book a mid week trip to either almanor or bullards...we go to Frenchmans which is about 30 minutes from where i am in Reno and have fun but thought we would travel a bit to find something nice...we are early riders 8-noon usually so anyoneone have suggestions over those two?

I am a big fan of the boat in sites on garden point at high water. To reduce the hike, sites 19, 20, 1, 2, 3, 4, 18 in that order (IMO) are preferred. Vault toilets are horrible but hey, that's camping. Can't really go wrong with bullards. It's a beautiful lake. 

• Like 2