Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

More Bass

tncumminsguy

Right now my 2011 23 LSV  has a 12" Kicker L7 in a sealed box under the helm powered by a 800.1 amp and while it's a pretty decent set-up I'd love to make the sub keep up with my wetsounds pro80's and add some more bass to it.  Should I change up my set-up to a Single 15" L7 or maybe run two 12's?  Not opposed to switching to the wetsounds 12" if it will make a difference and be a bit cleaner.   I have a jeep project I wouldn't mind throwing my current L7 in so getting rid of it isn't an issue

Edited by tncumminsguy
4 hours ago, tncumminsguy said:

Not opposed to switching to the wetsounds 12" if it will make a difference

Which are you referring to? Unless you also moved to a ported enclosure and made a significant jump in amp wattage, moving from one 12 to another will not yield a noticeable increase in bass, or output, since the surface area stayed the same.

I am going to presume your woofer is the 4 ohm DVC, so 2 ohm to the amp and making use of its 800W rms. The first thing I would suggest, is look into building a ported enclosure to replace the sealed. Instant increase with nothing but the time and materials. Moving up to a 15" would certainly be an increase in output. However, the enclosure size may be getting into the size required for a ported 12". 

I would also consider upping the amp wattage. Something like the Kicker KX1600.1. Tons of wattage for the woofer but with a very conservative tune.