Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need to buy or rent trailer for 2004 21' Sunscape, ideas?

RochJ

I have just purchased a 2004 21' / 93" beam Malibu Sunscape (v drive, 2 fins).  The boat has sat on lift at Lake Lanier its entire life (no trailer).  I live in the Atlanta area.

A used trailer has been like impossible to find.  I know I can order a custom from Boatmate trailers at around 5k.  Takes 1 month.

my IMMEDIATE NEED is to have my new boat on a week vacation at a lake besides where it sits on a lift now.

1.  Does anyone know of a used trailer for this boat?

2. Does anyone know of a new trailer for this boat?

3. Does anyone know of how to get this boat from Lake Lanier to 2 hours away to a lake in S.C.?  Rent?....

I would APPRECIATE ANY IDEAS in case I have not exhausted all possibilities.  I just do not want to be on the shore of this lake (we are considering moving to...non refundable condo) watching other malibu's having fun.  thanks!

cell 4045387357

Roch

Good idea.  When I was focused on the trailer purchase, I had one dealer in Memphis that was offering to sell me their yard trailer.  At the time it seemed too expensive for used, seemed far away, too many unknowns that I moved on.  Maybe I can find a dealer in Atl area that has a yard trailer that they would rent.

As I mentioned, right now I am focused on renting...and yet on the long term purchase side...I would like input.  I have two options on table right now.

1. buy new aluminum trailer at dealer her in ATL.  it would be a magic tilt with adjustable bunks

2. order a painted steel from BoatMate that would be completely custom (welded, no adjustments) and be here in a month

they are basically the same features (tandem, brakes, etc.).  However, #2 is a few hundred cheaper.

would you go aluminum/adjustable or custom steel?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely go for the custom boatmate.  When I got my boat it didn't have a trailer, so the dealer ordered a loadrite elite trailer as part of the deal.  it tows well but the generic inboard trailers have a lot of draw backs.  the prop guard on mine is much lower and drags all the time, and the boat sits pretty low in the trailer and doesn't have much prop clearance.  Also the trailer tounge doesn't swing away so the trailer is pretty long.  if I had the time and a choice I would have paid a bit extra for a custom trailer.

Just my .02