Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hot V Drive output shaft - Problem??

I was checking my prop shaft drip rate (about every 5 seconds) after a long surfing session (boat had been working hard) I grabbed the prop shaft to feel if it was hot.  It was normal - just a bit warmer than ambient.  But then I felt up closer to the v drive (Walters) and the coupling was hot to the touch and so was the bottom of the v drive casing.  The top of the v drive casing was normal temp.  I checked the coupling with a feeler gauge and it was well within specs.  V drive oil was full and had been replaced last fall.

Should I be concerned?

With the engine transferring heat to the transmission then to the VD you will feel some heat. The VD fluid is liquid cooled but the VD will generate some heat as well so you will feel it in the sump and casing of the Walter. That heat will then be transferred to the VD output flange and then to the aluminum shaft coupler and then onto the shaft. My shaft is liquid cooled with water straight from the block so that thing was surprisingly hot the first time I grabbed it. IIWM, I wouldn't worry about the heat unless when you change the fluid you are seeing or smelling signs of heat damage, unusual noise or loss of fluid.

@minnmarker:  Not an exact comparison since I did this on a DD and no V drive, but should give you an idea on temps as the trans should be close to V drive.  After a couple of slalom pull sets at 36 mph and getting back to the lift, I did a temp check using a laser thermometer:  oil pan & oil filter =178 deg F, transmission = 130 deg F, coupling = 115 deg F.  Water temp on this boat runs 165 on the gauge and was 135 when checking components & air temp was 82 deg F, lake water temp = 80 deg F.  Hope that helps.  Note:  transmission has the standard water/fluid cooler so you can see the trans was pretty close to the water temp.

Thanks Woodski.  My tranny was definitely cool.  No issue there.  It was the V drive output shaft and coupling that were hot - maybe 150+ degrees.  I know the cooling water is going through the V drive because it has to on the way to the impeller and engine - and engine temp was exactly 160.  Just wondering if it being so hot on the bottom end of the V drive is a concern.

I have the same concern as your original post.   I read in Walters manual that operating temps are around 180 and as high as 200.  

8 hours ago, Shastasurf said:

I have the same concern as your original post.   I read in Walters manual that operating temps are around 180 and as high as 200.  

Thanks Shastasurf!  That's just what I needed to hear.  The whole experience has prompted me to replace that long ago burned out V Drive warning light bulb with a nice LED.