Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dripless vs Wax cord

Wanted input from those who have the OJ dripless XPC shaft seal kit in their V drive boats. I have drip rate that concerns me w existing wax cords in the boat now. Drips every 10 secs when shaft turning, but while still still get drip every 2-3 secs and worried that bilge pump could fail and boat could sink while docked up for 5 days on vacation. So, replace wax cords or go dripless route?   I just don't remember in past drips that fast when not running. Have adjusted it but still drips a lot of water in bilge when just sitting and floating around.  Also, in a v drive can new cords or the OJ be installed w out removing drive shaft?  Any tips appreciated.

I have the dripless in my 2010, in my previous boats I replaced the wax shaft packing with the GFO style packing and it slowed the drip down a lot.  For just replacing the packing with either the wax or GFO, you will not need to pull the drive shaft but with the dripless I think you would.

I replaced the factory wax with the gortex stuff.  It was not a hard job, just tedious working in a confined space of a small packing nut, picking out all the old stuff, etc.  But far less involved than pulling the shaft to go with a dripless set-up.  Once I got the packing nut set properly, it didn't drip when the shaft wasn't turning.  I was very pleased with how this stuff performed.  Just don't over-tighten with the gortex packing when you first replace it or it will start to melt...ask me how I know.  :-)

• Like 2
9 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

I replaced the factory wax with the gortex stuff.  It was not a hard job, just tedious working in a confined space of a small packing nut, picking out all the old stuff, etc.  But far less involved than pulling the shaft to go with a dripless set-up.  Once I got the packing nut set properly, it didn't drip when the shaft wasn't turning.  I was very pleased with how this stuff performed.  Just don't over-tighten with the gortex packing when you first replace it or it will start to melt...ask me how I know.  :-)

Thanks.  Was advised to go w the GorTex cords as well.  Hate to have to do it right now as I've had a wicked pinched nerve in neck and crazy numbness in left arm ect... this job is gonna suck.