Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calling 1500 Towers (Full Size SUV Especially)

RyanB

55 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I am surprised that the tires make that much of a difference but they did. I am disappointed that Malibu/Boatmate would put such crappy tires on a brand new setup, but happy I found the solution. 

Both RVs and boat trailers typically come with barely-legal-for-the-intended weight, awful quality tires.  I'm glad you found a solution.  

• 2 weeks later...

i used to have a 2009 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 liter and the 6 speed tranny.  Even pulling our (lightish) 2004 21 Sunscape LSV it felt like it was really working. With headwind and hills it seemed like it searched for gears all the time. 

Coming from a farming and ranching background (lots of diesel pickups) I was kinda disappointed with the Yukon XL in towing mode. 

I sold the Denali with about 80K miles for around $28K.

I turned around and bought a 2010 Suburban (i know, smaller gas 5.3 engine).  Yup, it pulls worse than the Yukon XL, but it's certainly better on fuel around town. 

With our lake cabin 2 miles from boat access, I could care less. 

I bought the GM full size SUV because they are easy to work on & super popular in this area.  I think the 5.3 is a hella reliable engine.  I'm hoping to get 200K out of it, easy. 

i sure like the smooth & quiet ride of the Yukon XL Denali and my Current Suburban XL. 

Sucks a** to drive around town tho (tank).  It's a give and take thing tho.  When headed to cabin (3 hours) with (3) kids and a golden retriever (plus an ungodly amount of s*** my wife makes us bring) the suburban hauls it all in style. 

If the Expedition XL (the long one) was available used with a 3.5 ecoboost, I'd likely give it a look.  Seemed like, though, they only came out a few years ago (as brand new). 

I thought about sequoia, but they are TERRIBLE on fuel and don't have the storage of a suburban. 

I guess I'm rambling now.....

my 2012 suburban has good year wrangler SR-A.  20" wheels.  Stock tire size.  Tires have never been an issue when towing, but my 21 is much lighter than a new 23. 

Going back to some of the other suggestions, did you check the actual weight on a scale?

From your posts, you were probably light on tongue weight - general recommendation is 10-15% of total weight. 

19 hours ago, Soon2BV said:

Going back to some of the other suggestions, did you check the actual weight on a scale?

From your posts, you were probably light on tongue weight - general recommendation is 10-15% of total weight. 

Problem seems to be solved with the new trailer tires.  It still doesn't tow like it does behind my 3500 DRW, but I guess I can't expect it to.

I am still not in love with the Yukon, but it now tows the boat in an acceptable fashion.