Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Faster Actuator Upgrade For 2013 Surf Gates Again?

gordon20mxz

When the 2014 model year boats were released with the faster Surf Gate actuators, there were a couple of threads that were started regarding the faster Lenco actuators.  I was involved with those threads at the time and just re-read them.  At the time we were all wondering if the faster actuators would ever be able to be retro fitted onto the 2013 model year boats.  There was some input regarding the compatibility of the voltage of the actuators, the timing of the computer system supplying the voltage and the wiring harness that may have to be changes to link Surf Gate to the horn and light system.  Although the Lenco part numbers were identified, the never was a conclusion regarding upgrading to them on a 2013 boat.

The thread died, but I want to ask again:  Have any of the crew members asked a dealer directly and specifically if a 2013 model year boat can be upgraded to the faster actuators that started in 2014??  Did anyone ever get a straight answer from the dealer, yes or no??

I am going to call my dealer this week, but it is always helpful to have any information available from the crew members who talk to different dealers throughout the country.

My son and I surfed a lot over this past holiday weekend and he is getting good enough to try to cross the wake.  We practiced doing the crossing with and without the rope.  He could do it with the assistance of the rope, but never got it without the rope.  We were trying to figure out the timing of switching wake sides with Surf Gate in our 2013 model year.  I am just wondering if the faster Surf Gate actuators makes it a bit easier to succeed with crossing the wake?

Thanks

My daughter and I are at the same stage, and tried switching sides a few times last weekend.  Got it done on the rope but was then heal side into the wake and crashed fairly quickly.  More practice next weekend!  We have martinarcher's system and the fast Lencos.  I think the faster (3 second) actuators would be better as they decrease the time you have to spend riding the washed out middle of the wake.  The driver also plays a big role in adjusting the rudder.  If the driver doesn't make the adjustment as the gates are moving the boat just turns and the wake is not maintained on either side.

9 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

My daughter and I are at the same stage, and tried switching sides a few times last weekend.  Got it done on the rope but was then heal side into the wake and crashed fairly quickly.  More practice next weekend!  We have martinarcher's system and the fast Lencos.  I think the faster (3 second) actuators would be better as they decrease the time you have to spend riding the washed out middle of the wake.  The driver also plays a big role in adjusting the rudder.  If the driver doesn't make the adjustment as the gates are moving the boat just turns and the wake is not maintained on either side.

Mark,

Cool!  My son can get up and ride the right side of the boat, his heel side.  He can find the pocket and stay in it.  He is not as good at recovering if he gets far back on the heel side, however.  The wash in the middle of the wake slowed him down a lot each time he tried to cross the wake without the rope.  I am going to call my dealer and see what the story is.

G

OK, called my dealer about this question.  He doesn't know exactly, they have never done it.  He told me that the Malibu factory is closed this week for inventory and tooling for the 2107 model year production, so he cannot call the factory this week.  He will call next week and try to figure out if the parts will work on a 2013 model.

Will update this next week when I get the information.

G

• 3 years later...

@gordon20mxz  Did you ever receive an answer from your malibu dealer?  I am asking because I recently purchased a 2014 VLX (had 150 hours when purchased) and we put on about 30 more hours and started to receive the Max Current Draw Error and the surf gate fin for the right side (surfer on left side) was sticking out and would not retract.  I have not taken anything apart to diagnose but I called Lenco and they told me to order PART NUMBER 15060-001 based on me telling him that my actuator was inscribed 8T HH1 on the actuator just below the Lenco Sticker.  He seemed perplexed that my actuator had that inscribed on it - there is a decoder to indicate OEM and Year Month manufactured......anyway PART NUMBER 15060-001 was what I ordered and I am going to install tonight and try out tomorrow after the 3M 4200 cures.  I am curious if it is as simple as that or if I need to get a sw upgrade or something that requires a trip to the dealer and big $$$.  Any experience on your end?  Did you attempt to upgrade?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 12:25 PM, goingboating said:

@gordon20mxz  Did you ever receive an answer from your malibu dealer?  I am asking because I recently purchased a 2014 VLX (had 150 hours when purchased) and we put on about 30 more hours and started to receive the Max Current Draw Error and the surf gate fin for the right side (surfer on left side) was sticking out and would not retract.  I have not taken anything apart to diagnose but I called Lenco and they told me to order PART NUMBER 15060-001 based on me telling him that my actuator was inscribed 8T HH1 on the actuator just below the Lenco Sticker.  He seemed perplexed that my actuator had that inscribed on it - there is a decoder to indicate OEM and Year Month manufactured......anyway PART NUMBER 15060-001 was what I ordered and I am going to install tonight and try out tomorrow after the 3M 4200 cures.  I am curious if it is as simple as that or if I need to get a sw upgrade or something that requires a trip to the dealer and big $$$.  Any experience on your end?  Did you attempt to upgrade?

I replaced the actuator on my 2014 Wakesetter VLX - it was an easy task after I got the right part (the right Lenco Actuator).  For a 2014 Boat, there are discussion threads on Malibu Crew that correctly indicated that the fast actuator is required and here is a Lenco Actuator that will work:  4 1/4 in. Stroke Actuator 12 Volt SKU: LM-15129-001

replacing is easy, you need a couple open-ended, half-inch wrenches, a 7/16 wrench, phillips screwdriver, 3M 4200 sealer - BUT before I share more on replacing, I will share my learning because I did get the old, slow actuator by mistake (slow actuator 2013 malibu surfgate LEN15059-001 - Lenco 102 Series Standard Actuator - 12v - 4-1/4 in. Stroke).  I installed this incorrect part.  Then from the LCD control panel, I used the Service Surf Gate on the menu to extend both gates.  The motors run for a very short time.  Then I looked at the gates and the slow gate moved out a bit was not extended beyond the hull of the boat.  The other actuator (original) had extended out beyond the hull like it is supposed to extend.  So it seems the control box sends power for a pre-determined amount of time based on the speed of the actuator (the wrong actuator had more to extend but the control box just stopped it and the same time it stopped the other side - and I did not find any menu items to calibrate it differently).  So I would expect the opposite if you put the faster actuator on an older boat - the control box would send power for too long - the actuator would reach max extension and the motor would still run longer - probably not good for motor.  Maybe there is upside where the surfgate extends out a bit further - but it may not be able to take the additional force.  So I think my findings support that you would need to replace the control box with the 2014 (or newer ) control box.

Back to the replacement - you need to remove a lot of extra stuff in order to have clearance to remove the bolt on the extending end of the actuator.  I removed six screws that hold the chrome surfgate plate on the outside in order to remove two bracket bolts.  Then I could remove the bolt through the actuator.  Removing the hull end of the actuator was easy.  

I was removing the right or starboard actuator (for surfing on left or port side).  The cord comes in through the transom and travels behind motor to just port of the motor where there is a large group of wires that are tie-wrapped together.  The cord on the actuator has a male-end and the female end was in that pack of wires and was labeled right surfgate so that was nice.  Just unplug and I cut the cord on the old actuator.  I did not need to you can remove the gray and orange deutsch connector plug and the cord would have pulled through transom intact.  I fed the new 6' cord into the boat and fed along the back, used a couple tie wraps to secure and added the deutsch connector and then plugged in.  Installed actuator.  Then tested with the service surfgate on the menu.  The surfgate fin extended the same on both sides.  I was good to go.

My old actuator was filled with water.  I could hear it sloshing around in there...sounded about half to 3/4 full of water.  I inquired with Lenco about getting it refurbished since it is a pretty elaborate piece of hardware to just throw out.  Lenco replied that in 2014 the warranty was only 3 years.  The new one has a 5 year warranty.  So they did not really answer my question if they would refurbish - seems like a new motor, wiring and seals would make it good as new - and the external parts could be re-used.

Anyway - just replacing a bad actuator because you are getting the Max Current Draw Error   is not a big deal and you do yourself.  Upgrading to from the slower to faster actuator probably does require replacing the control box - but still probably best to get an answer from Malibu.

Most all screw actuators have an end of stroke "free wheel" or clutch that should occur if over extending. One would just have to experiment to see if or how long the motor runs for. If only a second or two, should be fine.

good write up--thank you for the details