Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

seat skins - one is starting to split

Toronto Boater

I have a 1999 Sunsetter LXI - in great condition.  Except now the rear seat is starting to split at the seam.  Any way to fix or prevent this from getting worse?  I had heard about seat savers but I have small kids and I am worried about the seat saver slipping when they step on it.  The rest of the seat is in fine condition and it is splitting just near the entry point.  Suggestions? 

Many thanks.

We had the same issue last year. Took the seat cushion to a local upholstery shop who charged $45 to re-stitch the seam that was splitting. 

All 3 of my rear seats were split.  I think it was $40/seat to re-stich them at a local shop

Edited by twitchee2

I had a similar issue with a cushion.  However, it wasn't stitching that came apart, it was the vinyl tearing next to the stitching...from people stepping on it to get in the boat.

I took it to Tack Upholstery near the airport.   They fixed two cushions for $300. You can't tell they've been repaired.

The flip up seat over the tranny on my 2015 VLX is starting to have this problem already.  The vinyl right at the bead is starting to tear away from the stitching.  Clearly it is due to people stepping into and out of the boat on this cushion.  Malibu is sending me a new skin under warranty and will pay for a local upholstery to swap out the skins, but I have to say this is a little disconcerting to be happening on a boat with only 100 hrs that is just a little over 1 year old.  I have not changed the way I use or take care of my boats, and this was not a problem on my 2008 Vride after 5 years or my 2013 VLX after 2 years.  I feel like the foam on this center cushion should be firmer so the vinyl isn't stretched as much when people step down from the sundeck.

I have gained a few pounds over the years.  The factor has changed...

Edited by Cory