Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 23xti runs rough *at certain* RPMs

Hi all. I've been beating my head against a wall dealing with the engine problem and it's time to just ask the question directly of the fine members of this forum. 

I have a 06 xti with the monsoon 340. At a range of about 2500-3500 RPM I can hear a misfire or sputtering. It's becoming more noticeable. It runs as good as it always has as I begin to approach 4K RPM. Aside from the normal seasonal readying of he boat, here's what I've done so far, and all to no avail:

1) New cap and rotor, old ones were noticeably oxidized.

2) New plugs, NGK TR5s, gapped at .045. Old ones were done, but didn't appear oil-fouled or show signs of running lean.

3) Every tank of fuel gets treated with Stabil.

In its current configuration I'm running a 3 blade ACME, 11.5 pitch. 

I'm not getting any codes (not sure this boat is new enough to do that dastardly deed). Anything anyone could offer here would be greatly appreciated. 

Scott

4 hours ago, tvano said:

are the fuel lines that feed the injector rails metal or rubber?

if metal search for 'fuel hammer'.

Will check tomorrow morning when I'm back in front of it. Did a search and wow! looks like this problem is more common that I had thought. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I took a few photos. I admit I'm not sure where to look for fuel rails. One other poster mentioned it might be plug wires. I changed those, and the problem persists, and is either worse, or I'm just hypersensitive to it. I believe one photo I took is of the fuel pump; it appears tome that the heavy bracket at the top might be cracked. While I don't know if this is the issue, I'd like to know someone's thoughts. 

And now I feel like a real horse's you-know-what as I can't seem to figure out how to post the photos here. Bear with me...

Edited by ScrewCanoe
  • 3 weeks later...
On July 3, 2016 at 9:38 AM, ScrewCanoe said:

Will check tomorrow morning when I'm back in front of it. Did a search and wow! looks like this problem is more common that I had thought. Thanks for the tip!

On July 3, 2016 at 5:33 AM, tvano said:

are the fuel lines that feed the injector rails metal or rubber?

if metal search for 'fuel hammer'.

I looked for the fuel crossover lines. It appears they are under the large metal cover with six hex screws. I removed them but he cover appears to be attached with a gasket or caulking. Should I break this free and look under it?

1 hour ago, ScrewCanoe said:

I looked for the fuel crossover lines. It appears they are under the large metal cover with six hex screws. I removed them but he cover appears to be attached with a gasket or caulking. Should I break this free and look under it?

can't help here.  not familiar w setup on the monsoon