Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf question, rider, board or wake?

dpriebe

I'm looking for feedback surrounding my wakesurfing, and the lack of my ability to have enough speed to toss the rope.

The setup:

Boat: 2012 237 LSV, stock tanks, center full, left full, front 25%, right empty. Wedge up 2 clicks from the bottom. Speed 9.8 to 11.6. 1 driver, plus 3 or 4 kids in the rear corner.

Board: CWB Ride. Bought this board so that as many different people in the family could learn on it.

Rider: fat old guy, 6', 270 lbs. Regular rider, 4th time wakesurfing, gotten up no problem each time. Lots of board sports, surfing in teens and 20s (6'4" O'Neill thruster, Monterey, CA), snowboard instructor 10 years (AASI level 2, Alpental, insanely steep and endless back country), wakeboarding recreationaly last 10 years, which my wife thinks I do oddly. I like a big wake to carve on, and rail slide the top of. No jumping or tricks (excluding surface 180s & 360s).

My problem is, I just can seem to get up enough speed to keep the rope loose for more than a moments worth of time. The wave generated by the boat looks ok, rather small, but appears ride-able. I'm sure that more weight would make it bigger, but still I should be able to ride on it. I've spent a while driving around, changing the wedge and speed, looking for a nice little wave. At about 10.8, and the wedge 2 clicks from the bottom, it looks pretty good. Today my wife was very patient with me while I was surfing, and very slowly went from 9.8 to 11.6. 11 is the speed that I liked the best. I am able to move my weight around just fine on the board, slowing with my weight back and speeding up with it forward. And I have no problem pearling! I am able to move back and forth on the wave, both via the rope, and a bit of speed coming down it (that fleeting moment of slack rope). But I am never able to get an ongoing slack line. Feeling a bit frustrated today, as I was surfing for at least 20 minutes of uptime, trying everything I could think of. 

My thoughts of what next to try:

More practice, that is what is up for tomorrow and Monday.

The board?.... Not sure if the Ride is really suitable for a guy my size. My wife says that I kind of struggle to get out the water on the wakesurf board compared with my wakeboard (146 LF). She says I instantly pop out of the water when I wakeboard. I know with wakeboarding or snowboarding surface area is everything in getting on that plane, or floating through powder. Should I look at getting a different board, giving me either more surface area, or bigger float?

The wake, I'm sure that I can get it bigger with more weight, more people, aftermarket shaper, etc. Although I'm sure that would help, I suspect that the problem is more with me or the board.

Feedback and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Dave

I can't comment on the boat setup but can on the board and going ropeless.

We started on that board as well. Position your feet further up on the board. I would have your back foot all the way up to the front of the back traction pad. I also found that if you square your shoulders off with the wake and make sure your feet are straight(not pigeon or penguin toed) it helped. Ride your toes not your heels. Hopefully this helps from another wakesurf novice.

You're kinda heavy for the CWB. We started with that and my daughter (120#) and I (155#) had no trouble and surf rope less with it doing some fun cuts and even 15 feet back. Son in law (210# and good athlete) could not go ropeless. We got him a bigger board and installed a surf gate - and he's now ropeless but has a smaller range to surf in than us lighter folks. Weight matters with the surfer and the ballast bags.

Find a friend with a boat & board who can surf ropeless and go for a ride behind their boat, see if you can go ropeless. Now switch and have that friend ride behind your boat.

If you can go ropeless behind another boat then the issue is your boat; if you friend can go ropeless behind your boat then it might be you.

If you can't go ropeless behind another boat and a friend can't go ropeless behind your boat then it might be time for professional help :whistle:

I'm 200 lbs. and bought the CWB Ride last summer.  I feel like I've outgrown the board quickly.  More that I want something with more response.  I pop up pretty quickly.  If you come up easy on a wakeboard, I'm not sure why it's more difficult on the surfer.  I feel it's easier to come up on a surfer.  Like holding a rope while someone lifts you off the ground.  Once the board flips up on my feet, my wife hits it and I'm up almost immediately.  In my A20, I run stock tanks full.  950 lb in the bow and 750's in each locker about 1/2 full.  Wedge down.  Surfgate as well.  Bow weight is essential to lengthen the wave.  Before the bow bag, I had a steep wave, but I was right on the platform.  IMO, if you want to invest in ballast, bow bag should be 1st for surfing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/um8kfv1bmglho9m/Wake%20Surf%20%2806.26.16%29.mp4?dl=0

Edited by Christoofar
forgot link

You're gonna end up adding more weight anyway, I'd do that first. You need another 2k pounds. I'd then get more practice with the board you have, sounds like you may be close with a bigger wave. If you go with a really big board, you may be able to go ropeless, but it could prevent you from much progress.

You need a lot more weight.  That is way too light for surfing.  I have a much smaller boat (rear: MUCH SMALLER, the 247 is a far larger boat than our VLX) and run significantly more weight than you are running.  Get some ballast in that thing ASAP before you keep trying to surf.  It will be a night and day difference.

Thank you for all of the feedback. I spent a couple of more days trying to play around with my current set up. I've gotten some more really long rides in, getting a tiny bit more time of slack rope.

A couple of more observations...

My rides tended to end when my foot arches could no longer with stand the constant flexing due to moving my feet around all the time, trying to find the spot as well as pressing with the ball/toes of my feet. I've gotten very good at nearly pearling, and recovering as I try to ride at front to develop speed.

I am riding very, very close to the back of the boat. I spent a bit of time watching another boat, where the rider was much much further back.

I also noticed the other boats are sitting much lower in the water, and throwing a bigger wake.

As recommended, my next step will be to get some bags for the rear lockers. I have a quote for doing a 750 lb bag, but maybe I should try for bigger. I'm also thinking about getting a Mission Delta, that way I won't have to list the boat, and can just fill it up evenly.