Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

100 hr / Annual service

Greg_S

$280 for the 20 hour may be the root of the problem. What did you get for that?

My dealer does the 20 hour free. A great benefit for sure and that may be unusual but all the 20 hour is is an oil change, trans fluid change, fuel filter and general inspection.

lots of help you 2 are Mad.gif

I got my 20 hour comp'd as part of my purchase(but that was the price on the invoice), but am still staggered at the annual price.

The book will tell you exactly what Indmar wants you to do at every service inteval. There isn't much to each service. Usually change some fluid, change impeller, change plugs. There is the bogus lubing of the starter bendix and checking engine alingment that no one does but, that's it. If you can change the impeller in a V-drive then, you're an Indmar certified master tech. and can do the maintenace stuff yourself.

As for your trailer, you should only need to re-pack the bearings once in awhile and only repair something if it breaks. I don't think the dealers do anything to trailers except maybe check the tire pressures.

Hey,

I think you should read the good reviews at Amazon on this book also.

I love the one that reads:

Stop asking people in on-line forums how to diagnose your boat,

ROFL.gifROFL.gif

BTW, that's a good find. Did you happen to find any other years?

We've had this book posted on here for about a year in different threads. Yes, technically, it only goes to 2003 but, not much has changed in later years except for the Ski Vee tranny and the fly-by-wire (which you'll never be able to mess with anyway).

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....=2948&hl=clymer

Everyone on here should get it. Also, feel free to leave comments on Amazon as to wheter or not those customer reviews were heplful or not. Surprised.gif

Edited by Pistol Pete

Greg_s - what are they saying they do at that service? Does it include plugs / wires, etc? Do you guys do winterization out there?

Do it yourself! I haven't been out to Paradise Watersports in 3+ years and don't miss it, or the drive, one bit.

Last time I was there I think the labor rate was about $95/hour and they were talking about raising it, so I'm sure it's much higher now. Shocking.gif

I'm not particularly mechanical, but working on the boat is so much simpler than any car made in the last 30 years that even I can do it! Plus, if I start a service/repair that ends up taking longer than expected ( Don't they all!?) I know I can always finish it another time because I don't depend on the boat to get to work every day! (I only wish!)

Pete

Book looks like a good find. thanks for posting!

I'm coming up on the 100hr and was not looking forward to taking another "bending."

From what I can tell the 100hr is basically like the 50 except for needing to inspect (possibly change) the impeller and clean or change flame arrestor -- i honestly have no idea where that is - is that just the plastic glossy cover thing over the engine? Anyone?

100 hr service I believe is:

oil /oil filter change

fuel filter

impeller

v-drive fluid 30w oil

tranny fluid ATF

check engine alignment

plugs

some places lube the "starter bendix" but I heard most don not.

this is off the top of my head, and it was from Tilly's out in ventura for about $480???

You can pick up parts and a temo oil boy pump for about 150 bucks total and do the job yourself.

Greg, PM me if your phone number if want more info, I've done it all before on my vlx. btw did you go to naci yet? I think I am goin to San Antonio in Aug, staying in a travel trailer on the shore.

bobby

Bobby is right as far as what needs to get done.

But, be careful quoting the parts prices. Chances are Greg's boat has platinum plugs at ~$8.00 ea.

At my 10 hr all they did was oil and "inspect" the tranny fluid. This was part of the purchase and they said they only do it at the annual winterization. Any issues with them not changeing the tranny fluid?

But, be careful quoting the parts prices. Chances are Greg's boat has platinum plugs at ~$8.00 ea.

Great. What determines whether the plugs need to be changed?

Pete - I ordered the book and will take a look at things when it comes in. Something I should have anyway. If it looks doable, I will make a run at it and if not I found a Mobile guy that used to work at the CC dealer that I bought my Cobalt from and he said he does everything for $380.00

Bobby -

Yeah, we went to Naci the last week in June. We had a absolutely great time. We stayed in a house that had its own dock that was tucked away in the cove thats to the right of the Oak Shores Marina. We'll be going back for sure next year.

At my 10 hr all they did was oil and "inspect" the tranny fluid. This was part of the purchase and they said they only do it at the annual winterization. Any issues with them not changeing the tranny fluid?

There shouldn't be any issue with them not changing the tranny fluid.

Pete - I ordered the book and will take a look at things when it comes in. Something I should have anyway. If it looks doable, I will make a run at it and if not I found a Mobile guy that used to work at the CC dealer that I bought my Cobalt from and he said he does everything for $380.00

The book doens't actually specify when the plugs shoud get changed and, platinum plugs being superior in longevity like they are, they could probably go ~200 hrs. But, if you want to be super cautious, you could change them every 100 hrs. That's what I've been telling people to do. $380 for a dude to come to your house and do "everything" seems like the best deal.

Pete - where do I shop for $8 platinum plugs? They are $NZ27.50 each here!!