Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Volume knob stops working on the water

Jmerk2009

So I have a 2005 wakesetter 23 lsv and it has the Sony mex m70bt head unit. I have 2 batteries and when I'm off the water I put one battery on and the head unit works fine I can hook everything up and the volume knob works like it should. Now when I put it in the water I turn both batteries on and the head unit when come on and I can select different sources but the volume knob will not work and can't decrease or increase the volume. This is very frustrating seeing that on the water I want to play my music very loud and can't. If any body can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated 

I'm new to boating but I only have one battery running when on the trailer opposed to two when the engine is running. Isn't that a lot for one battery to handle or am I wrong

I'm not convinced that the battery selection is the cause of the problem. The battery selection could just be a coincidence.

Try both batteries on the trailer and individual batteries on the water to see if the behavior changes. Then un-plug the remote control(s) from the back of the HU.  

2 hours ago, Jmerk2009 said:

I'm new to boating but I only have one battery running when on the trailer opposed to two when the engine is running. Isn't that a lot for one battery to handle or am I wrong

No, because in 99 out of 100 boats on the water, the engine and entire system is only drawing off one battery. The point is to do this as a test. If it work normal on the trailer and the switch is set to 1 or 2, then tray that in the water with the engine running. 

A large degree of diagnosing anything like this, whether its an electrical issue or an engine performance issue, is not finding what bad, but proving whats working properly. Through this process of eliminations, you are hopefully left with what is wrong. In some cases, we cant prove whats wrong, but we fix it because everything else around it was found to be right. 

If the system works normal on the trailer with one battery, then it should on the water, with only one battery. If it does, then we learned something. If it doesnt work with 2 batteries on the water, then it should not work on the trailer with 2 batteries. In this case again, we learned something about the behavior of the issue. 

Edited by MLA