Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Removal

Guest M@LIBU

I recieved my new 1235 and Prop puller kit from acme today. My only problem is that i cannot for the life of me get the old prop off. The boat is a brand new 06 so i dodnt htink its stuck on there. I put the puller on just like it says to, crank it down tight, hit the puller bolt a couple times, tighten more, hit the bolt, hit the fins with a rubber mallet, and it wont come off Mad.gif Anybody have any tricks they know of get these bad boys off? Id appreciate it, thanks.

pour HOT water on it.

Also hit the other side of the prop puller (i.e. hit the side facing the front, hitting toward the back)

Guest M@LIBU

no worries, i loosened that nut about 1/2 inch and the prop actually moved maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch, but thats it, nothing more no matter how hard i try. Ill try the hot water method and also hitting the "y" part of the puller. Anything else form anybody?

Just bang it till it comes off! j/k

Make sure you wear gloves or use towels to protect your hands during the replacement process. I put a pretty big gouge in my palm when putting my 1235 on.

Good Luck.

no worries, i loosened that nut about 1/2 inch and the prop actually moved maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch, but thats it, nothing more no matter how hard i try. Ill try the hot water method and also hitting the "y" part of the puller. Anything else form anybody?

Loosen the nut until it's almost all the way off, but not completely (it will keep the prop from falling on the floor when it does break loose).

Get a block of hardwood and a mallett and belt the back of the prop close to the shaft ,keep spinning the prop ,(without the motor running) Surprised.gif and she will eventually let go .

Don't be afraid to give it a belting .

Make sure you loosen the nut.

Cheers BIGMAC

You might even try heating up the prop hub with a propane torch. Heating the hub wil cause it to expand and break free from the shaft. Don't get it the shaft too hot or you will melt the rubber inside the strut bearing. When you put the new prop on you need to lap it to the shaft with Lapping compound then apply a good coat of anti-seize to both the shaft and inside of the prop hub. Don't tighten the prop nut too tight. The next removal will be a snap.

Insert the prop puller into the loosened nut to keep puller in center of shaft, otherwise it may slip and damage shaft end dimple.

Using the prop puller, tighten it up almost as tight as you can. Make sure prop puller is straight and not cocked off to one side. Use a piece of wood to keep the prop from rotating. Now, using a hammer, hit the prop puller form the hub side (front of prop). If it moved a little, go back and retighten the prop puller, again almost as tight as you can, and then hit it a few times again. BTW, this is all in the instruction sheet that came w/ the puller.

If this doesn't work, try to re-tighten the prop back onto the shaft, and repeat the above. You want the puller to be very tight on the prop, so when you hit it with the hammer the vibration of the hit causes it "pop" off.

I've pulled my prop and done a couple of exchanges, and the above worked for me :)

Many of the new battery powered drivers have an impact setting which sends a hammering pulse through the socket as you tighten the bolt, this is great for loosening stubborn hardware.

Joe

my local prop shop suggested hitting the side of the prop hub with a ball pein hammer (like technique used for shocking ball joints out)

works well but does leave a mark however as prop is normally getting removed for repair anyway it's not an issue

Sounds like the key might be getting c***-eyed as it comes off. That is what happen the last time I was pulling one on my boat, tightened the prop back up and pulled it a second time and with a little tweaking it came right off.

Guest M@LIBU

Turns out the rock that hit my prop Innocent.gif Did a number on it! The key was sheared in half and lodged in between the prop and the shaft. It finally gave way though and brok free. I installed the new prop and it all looks good now. Im not sure, but the long arm looking thing that hold the shaft in front of the prop might be slightly bent which might isnt good. Im taking her out tomorrow to see how she runs. The dealer wanted $400 to put on a straight "arm" or whatever that piece is called. Thanks everybody for your input!

Glad you got the prop off. Hope your strut isn't bent, but if it is. . .you have to remove the shaft in order to replace it. Not much fun.

If the prop took a lick bad enough to partially shear the key I think I would pull the shaft and see if it's bent. You can get a rough view of the shaft condition by rotating the shaft with your new prop on and measuring the distance between each blade and a fixed point say the propguard of the trailer. If there is any variation replace the shaft. I have never seen anyone be able to true a shaft back to perfect. That thing is spinning2800-4000 rpm and any deviation in the shaft will be felt and long term use may damage the transmission.

Took it out today and felt no vibration at all. Ill try measuring it just to make sure. Thanks!

Great!!

Glad to hear everything seemed smooth.

If the strut is bent it can still cause damage over time because it will be out of alignment. It'll stress the strut bushing, coupler bolts and the vdrive seals and bearings. The end if the shaft should be in perfect alignment with the rudder (if the rudder isn't bent). My strut bent with much less of a hit than yours had, but the shaft was OK. Dealer relpaced it. $$$

Guest M@LIBU
If the strut is bent it can still cause damage over time because it will be out of alignment. It'll stress the strut bushing, coupler bolts and the vdrive seals and bearings. The end if the shaft should be in perfect alignment with the rudder (if the rudder isn't bent). My strut bent with much less of a hit than yours had, but the shaft was OK. Dealer relpaced it. $$$

I hear ya, I scheduled an appointment for next week to have the strut replaced. Service center said it would alright to use this weekend though, I almost thought i was going to have to cancel the trip. Thanks again for all of your input!

• 2 weeks later...