Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Charging problem - 2001 VLX with 5.7L

Symptoms:

- Noticed intermittent charging issue over several weeks (go to re-start the motor starter would barely turn over) but when I tried to troubleshoot - NPF    

-Suspected the Battery, replaced it and everything was good for for several starts (over a few week) then problem resurfaced

-suspected alternator (only measured 11.5V at alternator at ignitor wire) so pulled it - shop benched-tested alternator, again - NPF

-back in water, finally hard failure (no charging at all)   pulled and had a marina (friend) go thru it to see what I was missing

Solution:  marina (friend) when thru it twice and also was stumped.  He did a researcher and when back an traced the problem to the 50A breaker (mounted on the engine).  the CB had connectivity, measured full battery voltage on one side, but only  11.5 volts on other sie (not enough juice for AltERNATOR exciter wire to do its job).  Jumpered the breaker and boat charged fine.   Replaced the breaker, problem appears to be resolved.  

Ive had boats for many years, and have experienced many electrical wiring and debug issues.  

I have never seen a Breaker pass "some" voltage but not sufficient voltage.  - heads up if you have a charging problem that's driving you crazy

makes sense, heard there is a resistor inside that causes problems as well.   Think I will crack it open to take a look...

the simple components are no longer simple :-(

Edited by Garry

FYI - listing you motor as a 5.7L EFI doesn't tell us anything, as it could be a variety of offerings from Malibu.  Monsoon, Hammerhead, Standard Mercruiser, Mercruiser Black Scorpion and the LS1 are all 5.7L EFI motors and all available for your boat.