Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Control vs DIY Surf Gate

Portugue

I have an 03 LSV and want to create a great surf wave. Trying to decide between WakeMakers Wake Control system or a DIY Surf Gate. Not very concerned with the cost difference. I will be adding ballasts and do not have a wedge. 

Are you talking about an automated DIY gate system $1-$2k vs. wave control $3600 (malibucrew discount).

I have the capability to fab a DIY system, controller, etc., But don't have the time, to both build system and do R&D... (80 hrs?). I'd rather use free time surfing, so I went with wave control.

People seem happy with either system, so decide if you have more time or money and go with the one that makes the most sense.

The thing to look out for with DIY Surfgate is your swim platform width. What many people don't realize is that the retracted gate can end up digging into the face of the wave and ruin it, if it's not tucked in far enough. So in some cases that might mean that you need to modify your platform. What I would recommend, is get some plywood and simulate a surfgate on both sides. One retracted, one deployed. Do the same for goofy and regular. That will allow you to prove that the wave will be good.

A friend of mine didn't do that when he did this project on his Centurion, and it didn't work out so well.

30 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

The thing to look out for with DIY Surfgate is your swim platform width. What many people don't realize is that the retracted gate can end up digging into the face of the wave and ruin it, if it's not tucked in far enough. So in some cases that might mean that you need to modify your platform. What I would recommend, is get some plywood and simulate a surfgate on both sides. One retracted, one deployed. Do the same for goofy and regular. That will allow you to prove that the wave will be good.

A friend of mine didn't do that when he did this project on his Centurion, and it didn't work out so well.

Good points.  On my 05 LSV I was able to build the gates to almost exactly match the stock retracted and extended angles - assuming Malibu had done the testing.  Fortunately my swim platform accommodated the angles.  Everything worked out great.  Love the wave both regular and goofy.  Also important are the bottom edges of the gates.  You want them out of the water at speed so it is not exposed to high stress and so it doesn't mess up the wake.  My install with martinarcher's control system took about 20 hours.  Could do it in 8 or less the second time around.

I can tell you wave control requires a ton of weight & you will burn a ton of fuel.  The gate is more efficient in my opinion.   Wave Control, or Go Surf Assist do not have the adjust ability they claim to have, most of the adjustments just kill the wave.  I am debating purchasing or making a ghetto gate to compare my GSA to a gate & possibly convert my GSA to a gate system.  On my MB, the listed wave is good but the GSA makes it better as far as how much push & where the push is.  I can surf in the flats & very far back using GSA, I suspect that has to do more with me running 5400 pounds than the GSA though compared to the 3100 I run listed.  On my Malibu I found the gate enhanced the wave even if I didn't weight the other side.  GSA is useless & drives in circles unless I fill all ballast full & push 5400 pounds, I actually surf listed quite a bit just to save fuel.  IMO if the boat didn't come with GSA it is not worth adding it, I would be exploring a gate or NSS.   On your boat I would be adding a wedge first, mine (my malibu) had no height & push without the wedge 

Edited by racer808

Racer808,

So you're saying comparing the wave of a ghetto gate to GSA on your Malibu, you think the ghetto gate will come out with a better wave?

10 hours ago, BigE said:

Racer808,

So you're saying comparing the wave of a ghetto gate to GSA on your Malibu, you think the ghetto gate will come out with a better wave?

No, my malibu had the gate.  I have GSA on my MB B52 23.  With the Malibu I could still list it & the gate still enhanced the wave, greatly.  On the MB the GSA is worthless unless you use an equal amount of weight on the non surf side, my case being an additional 2400 pounds.  I think a gate on my MB would be more efficient & I want to know what the wave is like with a gate in lieu of the GSA, if better I am converting the GSA to a gate system.  I am very curious what using both will do since on Delta's website they say to use it in conjunction with another surf system for an even better wave

Just talked to the guys at Wake Makers and was told the GSA wont work on my hull as it has the stepped transom. Has anyone put a "surfgates" on transom with a instep on it? I have 2003 Sunscape, I believe that was the last year for that transom.

It has been done I am currently working on one now. I got the idea from Rugger on this site! I am new to the site and cannot post any pics of mine.

• 3 years later...
On 7/11/2016 at 12:18 PM, Portugue said:

Just talked to the guys at Wake Makers and was told the GSA wont work on my hull as it has the stepped transom. Has anyone put a "surfgates" on transom with a instep on it? I have 2003 Sunscape, I believe that was the last year for that transom.

what did you end up doing?  i have a 2003 with the same stepped transom and Wake Makers say GSA will work, but i cant find any thread where someone has made it work.

On 7/15/2016 at 8:07 PM, Use2ski said:

It has been done I am currently working on one now. I got the idea from Rugger on this site! I am new to the site and cannot post any pics of mine.

what did you end up doing?