Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on a boat

illiniskier

So here is my $0.02. I said get a vtx and here's why. I love my '00lxi. I'm a skier and have a family of teenagers. My middle skis but nobody else really got the bug.  If I had a 1and 3 yr old I'd be wanting a ski boat as well...but here's the deal.

People generally buy things based on what they want now, not what they will want in the future. you can't predict or dictate what your kids will want to do. They may love to ski just like you and your wife...just as likely, though, they will choose something else. that's what kids do.

If you get an older vtx you get a really good ski wake, a great wakeboard wake, and a good surf. No matter what they choose (including toobing) they will love your boat and want to be on it with you. It will also be better for filling up with kid friends.

you can't go wrong with whatever boat you buy but if it was me I'd sink a bit more into your Lxi or buy a vtx.

regardless...send pics of whatever you decide. ?

Thanks all for the input! I'm not sure what we are going to do yet, but I'm going to at least get behind the TXi and see what I think. Either way I'll be posting pictures of the new boat or pictures of an interior install in the near future.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:52 PM, illiniskier said:

We're toying with the idea of upgrading from our current ride to something a little newer and shinier. Currently we are in a 2000 Sunsetter LXI, but looking at Responses of the 2010+ vintage. Any thoughts on the pricing for this boat?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-Response-TXI-for-sale-Reddick-Illinois-56853.aspx

Seems decent for the hours and options, but curious to get the Cru's opinion.

Anybody have experience going from a sunsetter to a response? We primarily slalom and trick now, but I'm sure we'll be towing the kids around on all types of things as they get bigger.

Thanks!

Just an idea. The wife and I always have been slalom skiers, mostly on a course. We have had a DD inboard for over 25 years. We recently got a 2013 Malibu VTX with the Diamond hull which is a V drive. Has removable center pylon for slalom and all set up for surfing. Your kids will want to surf eventually and once you do too you will like it as well. The VTX in 2013, 2014 and 2015 is an excellent all around boat. I'm extremely happy with it, it slaloms well, not tournament quality but not bad, is as nimble as a DD and will surf great. Also fits in my garage also a plus. Take one for a demo if you can. it's only a 20 footer but is very versatile.

Happy Skiing!!!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, braindamage said:

So here is my $0.02. I said get a vtx and here's why. I love my '00lxi. I'm a skier and have a family of teenagers. My middle skis but nobody else really got the bug.  If I had a 1and 3 yr old I'd be wanting a ski boat as well...but here's the deal.

People generally buy things based on what they want now, not what they will want in the future. you can't predict or dictate what your kids will want to do. They may love to ski just like you and your wife...just as likely, though, they will choose something else. that's what kids do.

If you get an older vtx you get a really good ski wake, a great wakeboard wake, and a good surf. No matter what they choose (including toobing) they will love your boat and want to be on it with you. It will also be better for filling up with kid friends.

you can't go wrong with whatever boat you buy but if it was me I'd sink a bit more into your Lxi or buy a vtx.

regardless...send pics of whatever you decide. ?

I'm nt qualified to give any advice on the boat or whatever.  But I will say that I had some similar thoughts to you, in that consideration of family wants/needs/whatever is a factor.  I would actually almost suggest he do it now, while his kids are still young and he can.  Because when they get older. there wll be less time, and like you said, you don't know what they are gonig to want to do.

Now THAT said.  To the OP, if you can get the boat now, get the boat now, but do so with the knowledge that in 4-5 years, you may be looking for a different boat.  I had wanted a direct drive since I was in high school (I'm 42), and was ignoring all this wakeboarding stuff.  But a friend of mine convinced me to consider one when we moved here, and starting thinking about one.  Ended up with an Axis, and it was a great choice for an all around family/watersports boat.  And now I'm in a VLX, but I also don't spend as much time on hte water as I'd like to.