Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on a boat

illiniskier

We're toying with the idea of upgrading from our current ride to something a little newer and shinier. Currently we are in a 2000 Sunsetter LXI, but looking at Responses of the 2010+ vintage. Any thoughts on the pricing for this boat?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-Response-TXI-for-sale-Reddick-Illinois-56853.aspx

Seems decent for the hours and options, but curious to get the Cru's opinion.

Anybody have experience going from a sunsetter to a response? We primarily slalom and trick now, but I'm sure we'll be towing the kids around on all types of things as they get bigger.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I would not buy that boat once I got to picture #4.  Snap on cover???  Way to ruin a nice boat!

Edit:  Not to mention the OP's boat has lower hours.  Looks nice IMO, but I don't really know much about the market values of a Response.  I'm sure @ahopkinsTXi could help you with that though.

Edited by Sixer
5 hours ago, illiniskier said:

We're toying with the idea of upgrading from our current ride to something a little newer and shinier. Currently we are in a 2000 Sunsetter LXI, but looking at Responses of the 2010+ vintage. Any thoughts on the pricing for this boat?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-Response-TXI-for-sale-Reddick-Illinois-56853.aspx

Anybody have experience going from a sunsetter to a response? We primarily slalom and trick now, but I'm sure we'll be towing the kids around on all types of things as they get bigger.

Thanks!

I bet that boat has seen some (or a lot) of salt use.  It is from Texas and an aluminum trailer.  That would concern me and that trailer will do you no favors come resale time for this exact reason.

1 hour ago, Sixer said:

I would not buy that boat once I got to picture #4.  Snap on cover???  Way to ruin a nice boat!

Edit:  Not to mention the OP's boat has lower hours.  Looks nice IMO, but I don't really know much about the market values of a Response.  I'm sure @ahopkinsTXi could help you with that though.

A snap on cover can be done right (if done under the rub rail).  That boat has it done all wrong.  I agree, say no due to that fact alone.  Unless you can get a big discount to pay to have the snaps removed and a talented gelcoat guy repair and color match that mess.

It's definitely a family activity, but that activity is skiing. Our typical weekend day is on the water by 7:30-8:00, ski until the tubers come out, and then ski a little bit more while complaining about the tubers. Then float, swim, and naps for the kids (3 and 1 year old). On hot days we're back home by 1:00, nice days mid-afternoon. We occasionally tie up with family/friends for swiming, but mid-day last cruises when the water is rough aren't really our thing.

The wife and I both slalom and trick. We also mess around on a wake skate when the water is too rough to slalom. If we could get there early enough I'd do some footing too. Right now the 3 year old rides a ski trainer and is always ready for her turn. I expect a knee board is not many years off. We convinced her to get on the wake sled last weekend, which is essentially a knee board with handles that ties to the boat (she doesn't have to hold onto a rope).

We have looked a V-drives, which is something I had been hesitant on, but the wife was interested in. After looking a couple in person she decided the extra space wasn't worth the switch based on the way we boat.

8 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I bet that boat has seen some (or a lot) of salt use.  It is from Texas and an aluminum trailer.  That would concern me and that trailer will do you no favors come resale time for this exact reason.

A snap on cover can be done right (if done under the rub rail).  That boat has it done all wrong.  I agree, say no due to that fact alone.  Unless you can get a big discount to pay to have the snaps removed and a talented gelcoat guy repair and color match that mess.

I hate the looks of my snap cover in the bow. But it can be very useful in bad weather etc. 

if it's a deal it's a deal. If you want everything to your spec I am sure the local dealer will take your order. 

Not nitpicking just saying the bow cover wouldn't be on my top 5 for disqualifiers. 

Edit: as a guy who had an "accidental" third kid (so the wife says). Go get the VTX. A v drive has enough room for a baby swing on the ground. When those kids are only 6-10 years older they will have friends and pets along. No way to fit it in a DD. 

If you live on the lake and have a pontoon as well then do the response. But if you trailer you will likely have a v drive in the future. 

Edited by 95echelon

This is essentially where we are at. The previous owner was pretty rough on the interior of our current boat, which was factored into the purchase price for us. Also being our first boat, we were ok with something not perfect as we learned how to care for it. This is our 4th season in the boat and now we're looking at either redoing the interior on our current boat or upgrading to something newer. So far this has been a great boat for us and meets all our needs.

So our decision is, put 5K into a boat with 1000 hours on it, or get something much newer that I can take care of and keep nice now that we have a little experience. We've already put a fair amount in on some other unforeseen items, but this will be a big investment in terms of the current boat value. So that's why we're testing the waters.

I think I agree with everyone on the snap bow cover, if that's possible. I wouldn't not buy the boat because of it, but would be cursing every time I put the stupid thing on.

I get it. Right now you are 'right side up' money wise in your current boat. Same with me. If you put money into it you may not get it back in resale, even though SSLXis are still fetching high teens-low 20s in great shape. Kicker is if you spend $45k on a TXi, you won't get all that back on resale in the future either...but for now you'd have a newer, shinier, more exciting boat, which is cool.

You have the best crossover ever made. It does the three events you currently do very, very well and will also produce a solid intermediate wakeboard wake if that time ever comes. If it were me I'd definitely do my best to spend a day on a TXi before making this decision. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

My water: Possum Kingdom Lake, Granbury, and Lake Whitney are fed by the Brazos River.  While not "salt water", the salt content is  high enough salt that the aluminum trailer would be a plus down here.  

1 minute ago, Bozboat said:

My water: Possum Kingdom Lake, Granbury, and Lake Whitney are fed by the Brazos River.  While not "salt water", the salt content is  high enough salt that the aluminum trailer would be a plus down here.  

Even in fresh water steel trailers rust out.  Not a big deal for the guys flipping into new boats every couple years but I'd take aluminum over my steel trailer any day of the week.

Yeah, the snap cover kind of sucks but a little gel repair kit and they could be gone.  Only reason I suggested it is my preference for the G3 over the jungle gym style towers.

FWIW my inlaws went from a SS LXI to a 2004 Response LXI and it really isn't that big a change.  Yes the SSLXI is a tiny bit bigger but not really that noticeable considering neither boat has much space inside for people or stuff.

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, illiniskier said:

I think I agree with everyone on the snap bow cover, if that's possible. I wouldn't not buy the boat because of it, but would be cursing every time I put the stupid thing on.

Getting rid of the snaps is not so hard - maybe a bit harder on a red hull but certainly not a huge job:

14 hours ago, Sixer said:

I agree. Just walk away from any snap on cover. Their a PITA. You will forever be repairing broken snaps, cracked gelcoat, ripped covers, etc.

ahopkins22LSV
14 hours ago, Sixer said:

That is a pretty fair price IMO for the OP, maybe a little high. The marked it FLOODED with promo boats so the prices are being driven lower. To have that tower, PW and ZO though it will easily do everything the OP is looking for. I prefer that tower, I think it looks the best on the TXi and it will not be in the way with the rope at pretty much every line length. If you are running 39's and 41's it might touch.

To get a feel on the market @illiniskier just seach for TXi on OIB and look at ski-it-again.com in their comp boat section. That might help with negotiation.

Also, I think the PW was only offered on the 12&13's.

@illiniskier:  The TXI would be a nice improvement in the slalom department, particularly at the 28' off and longer line lengths.  In addition, the shortline wakes will be a bit softer/flatter than the SSLXi.  The hull on the TXI has less deadrise therefore making the center of the wakes flatter and in particular the focus was to improve the long line and slower speed wakes.  You can read up on those in other posts/blogs and in particular a review on Ball of Spray.  TXI wakes rank right there with CC200, Carbon Pro and latest Prostar wakes.  For me, there would be no question, TXI but I consider the boat pretty much a slalom and barefoot tractor, it is not an entertainment vehicle or multi use unit so wake quality is #1 priority.

From the whole boat perspective, there are several items to think about, overall space, ergonomics, bow height as a few to compare boat to boat.  Good luck and have fun looking!

ahopkins22LSV

@Woodski Mine is a tractor in the mornings and an entertainment vessel in the afternoon. Sure it can get cramped but the beers stay cold and my friends don't complain (that much, ok they complain a lot about the lack of cup holders..... ;) )

@ahopkinsTXi:  cold beers simply mean the occupants become the entertainment vessels!  BTW - congrats on the PB, nice work, you were probably too hot in to 1 and if you throttle back just a tick, you will be around 2.  Gates now start to get important for success especially at young punk speed!

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@ahopkinsTXi:  cold beers simply mean the occupants become the entertainment vessels!  BTW - congrats on the PB, nice work, you were probably too hot in to 1 and if you throttle back just a tick, you will be around 2.  Gates now start to get important for success especially at young punk speed!

This is true!

And not to derail the thread too much, but thank you!! My young punk speed is too damn fast! Haha. I have video of it, which I will post. I was skiing with Seth Stisher so it was a pretty awesome day as I got some instruction for how I did at 28 too! The shame is I actually had two pretty dang good starts, I think I was just a bit startled that I was in decent shape and overly excited to be at 28!

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

@ahopkinsTXi:  You are welcome.  Seth is an awesome teacher, was he in the area giving instruction?  Did he bring up the back arm pressure topic, that helped me get extra width.  LOL on the being startled; lesson - never think you are in good shape while in the course, that is the certain kiss of death for that pass!  What ZO setting do you use?

And to @illiniskier, with a TXI you will get Zero Off speed control, the latest GPS speed control system that is super easy to use.  Also, does illiniskier have any relationship with the school in C-U & when will the football program become respectable?

Edited by Woodski

@Woodski: graduated from there in '03 and where we currently call home. I think the outlook for football is better than anytime in the past 10 years with the recent staff changes, but only time will tell. 

@illiniskier:  same here, undergrad from there way back...when the football team went 0-??? & Lou Henson was the bball coach.  Let's hope on the football team, with the talent across Illinois they should be able to recruit some excellent players.

ahopkins22LSV

@Woodski yes he is and yes he was. He shot up for a quick day and a half. He had a very tight schedule and the clinics filled up super fast. Hopefully next year we can have him stay a bit longer and get you involved too. 

He didn't touch specifically on back arm pressure but you know the typical name to the game of moving out from the wakes, to get wide and being in a good balanced position to allow the ski carve through the turn back to the handle. I know the kiss of death is thinking you are in too good of shape in the course!! Haha I do it all the time at 4&5! I think I was just shocked to have a good turn and tight light at one. Especially in Monday's wind!

22 hours ago, illiniskier said:

Thanks!

Just put a new interior in the SSLXI and keep on boating. It is a great boat.  Yes, I get the upgrade DTs everyone once in awhile, but they pass quickly and we are happy with our classic.

• Like 2