Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Watch me hurt myself video + MURICA

95echelon

Wakesurfing is such a hot sport right now that it is overshadowing everything else. But there are people here that know proper technique & how to teach it. Really though, it's about creating line tension & that comes down to just 3 major things:

• progressive edge into the wake: get out wide from the boat like you're doing & coast. As you get pulled back in, gradually increase your edge, building your edge as you get close to the wake, with your hardest edge coming as you are coming up the wake & off of the lip. If you find yourself wanting to let off at the end, you probably charged the wake a bit.
  • keep the handle low & in: it's far easier to let the handle out if you need to than to try to pull it in once you're in the air. Keeping the handle somewhat low (but not awkwardly so) gives you more control at every point of the trick. Some will say pull the handle into your hip, but the main thing is to keep it in & low.
  • standing tall at the wake: you can start by just stiffening your legs as you come up the wake. If you watch a lot of wakeboarding videos, you'll see most people absorb the wake as they come off of it. If you stiffen up at that point, it doesn't allow that absorption to take place & you're able to convert that energy into air time.

Really, those are the major points that will change your technique. Focus on those, then you can get to some of the nuances later. Remember, it's about creating line tension as you get to the wake, not speed.

I've got a copy of Higher Education that I've been trying to find a good home for. I'd be happy to send it to you, it's a great instructional video on all phases of wakeboarding from beginner to advanced. And definitely keep taking videos of yourself. It's one of the very best ways to see what you're doing, both right & wrong.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WakeGirl said:

Wakesurfing is such a hot sport right now that it is overshadowing everything else. But there are people here that know proper technique & how to teach it. Really though, it's about creating line tension & that comes down to just 3 major things:

• progressive edge into the wake: get out wide from the boat like you're doing & coast. As you get pulled back in, gradually increase your edge, building your edge as you get close to the wake, with your hardest edge coming as you are coming up the wake & off of the lip. If you find yourself wanting to let off at the end, you probably charged the wake a bit.
  • keep the handle low & in: it's far easier to let the handle out if you need to than to try to pull it in once you're in the air. Keeping the handle somewhat low (but not awkwardly so) gives you more control at every point of the trick. Some will say pull the handle into your hip, but the main thing is to keep it in & low.
  • standing tall at the wake: you can start by just stiffening your legs as you come up the wake. If you watch a lot of wakeboarding videos, you'll see most people absorb the wake as they come off of it. If you stiffen up at that point, it doesn't allow that absorption to take place & you're able to convert that energy into air time.

Really, those are the major points that will change your technique. Focus on those, then you can get to some of the nuances later. Remember, it's about creating line tension as you get to the wake, not speed.

I've got a copy of Higher Education that I've been trying to find a good home for. I'd be happy to send it to you, it's a great instructional video on all phases of wakeboarding from beginner to advanced. And definitely keep taking videos of yourself. It's one of the very best ways to see what you're doing, both right & wrong.

I hear you on the video evidence! When I was a downhill skier we started doing video, and that was the first year that I got to the national level after MANY years of trying. I am a monkey see person.

I found some on youtube for the progressive edge that I am watching now, but I wouldn't mind the higher education video if you are willing! I would make you a suction gate in exchange if you want to try it... I have extra materials from my experiments. PM me if interested.

39 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

I agree with the others....JUMP, then do the rotation. Too much emphasis on the cut. 

At 33, you've only just begun! I'm over 50 & still killin it.

Bill the air chair scares me more than anything in that video. If i could borrow or rent one for a day in Michigan I would though :) 

Nicely done 95!

I think I am ready to hang up the wakeboarding.  I tried a front roll 180 a few weeks ago and came down on the hard side of the wake (landed it) and felt a sharp knee pain - first time ever with the knee.  Swelling, pain, actually could barely walk the next day.  Meniscus test by the doctor showed it was OK, xray looked good too.  I told my wife I was selling the wakeboards, and surprisingly she told me "no way".  I think my invert days are over, not worth the risk to my anymore.

7 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Bill the air chair scares me more than anything in that video. If i could borrow or rent one for a day in Michigan I would though :) 

Which is interesting, because you can & will get hurt as easily on a wakeboard than on a foil. Coming out of your bindings is not possible on a foil if your gear is in good shape.

10 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Which is interesting, because you can & will get hurt as easily on a wakeboard than on a foil. Coming out of your bindings is not possible on a foil if your gear is in good shape.

I have had many more hurt from surfboard hitting them in face than injured on Hydrofoil. We foil probably 90% more of the time than surf.

• Like 1
On 30 June 2016 at 9:10 AM, WakeGirl said:

Great advice right there, I'll add one more bit in that I've picked up. 

Bend your knees before you carve in while you're coasting outside the wake, I've found the easiest way for me is to take my rear hand off the handle and square up. If you're standing tall during your turn in and then you bend your knees you're killing the line tension you've already created. 

Got this tip after watching one of the pros ride at the Malibu boats just ride tour day back before Easter and it's helped me a lot. 

26 minutes ago, Diesel86 said:

Great advice right there, I'll add one more bit in that I've picked up. 

Bend your knees before you carve in while you're coasting outside the wake, I've found the easiest way for me is to take my rear hand off the handle and square up. If you're standing tall during your turn in and then you bend your knees you're killing the line tension you've already created. 

Got this tip after watching one of the pros ride at the Malibu boats just ride tour day back before Easter and it's helped me a lot. 

That's good, I hadn't thought about breaking that part down in that way. Most people that charge the wake are locked out & standing tall during the carve in, so this tip would help avoid that.

There's a video on learnwake.com which goes over this called "the perfect setup". It's pretty handy to watch, I'll try linking it but I doubt it'll work cause its members only

http://www.learnwake.com/videos/hs-jumps-the-perfect-set-up/

Here's the link, may need to sign up to watch, but for $10 a month it's worth it for anyone that's into wakeboarding. 

13 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

I have come out of Cinch foot stays on a bad crash before.  My buddy has one time as well.  Unusual, yes.  Impossible, not in my experience.

And I would say my worst crashes have been on my kneeboard.  I won't ride that torture device anymore.

41 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I have come out of Cinch foot stays on a bad crash before.  My buddy has one time as well.  Unusual, yes.  Impossible, not in my experience.

And I would say my worst crashes have been on my kneeboard.  I won't ride that torture device anymore.

Wow, that surprises me. I've never come out of either Cinches' or Malibu Mark's bindings. And I'm really more talking about the belt. The only belts I've ever seen fail were years old & falling apart. The velcro belts just don't fail in my experience.

On July 1, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Bill_AirJunky said:

Wow, that surprises me. I've never come out of either Cinches' or Malibu Mark's bindings. And I'm really more talking about the belt. The only belts I've ever seen fail were years old & falling apart. The velcro belts just don't fail in my experience.

I've never come out of the belt either.  And the Cinch footstays are basically the same thing.  I just know it is possible (and painful).