Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Watch me hurt myself video + MURICA

95echelon

Looking pretty good.  It always helped me to drop my back hand off the handle when I spotted my landing.  So for you that would be your left hand.  What lakes do you ride on in your area?  My wife and I are lake house shopping the Randall Chain.  Didn't see many wake boats around our first visit.

Edited by 98buphon
17 minutes ago, onwi said:

Load and release.  That'll allow you to pop up and roll.

Good for you for not letting your age get in the way!  But that's way too big of a cut and way more speed than is needed to "relearn" a backroll.  shorten that rope up 5 feet at least and take a more progressive but smaller (in angle) cut.  Release will be more consistent, higher, and easier on your body.    Good for you though!

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, onwi said:

Load and release.  That'll allow you to pop up and roll.

Thanks for the input

11 minutes ago, 98buphon said:

Looking pretty good.  It always helped me to drop my back hand off the handle when I spotted my landing.  So for you that would be your left hand.  What lakes do you ride on in your area?  My wife and I are lake house shopping the Randall Chain.  Didn't see many wake boats around our first visit.

I will give that a shot. I am on the coldwater chain in southern Michigan by the Indiana border. There are probably more people from OH on our lake than Michigan. Lots of toledo folks. I wouldn't recommend our lake unless you like to party though. It's insanely busy and the sandbar across the bay from me attracts at least 60 boats a day. 300+ on a weekend with live music. It's hard to find clean water, but plenty of surfing during the day.

6 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Good for you for not letting your age get in the way!  But that's way too big of a cut and way more speed than is needed to "relearn" a backroll.  shorten that rope up 5 feet at least and take a more progressive but smaller (in angle) cut.  Release will be more consistent, higher, and easier on your body.    Good for you though!

Appreciate the tips! I am completely self taught. I learned to ride long before youtube, etc. I was looking at a red bull wake open with my son last night when I saw those guys were going huge without my large cuts. I will try the smaller cuts this weekend. I am on a 140cm which is probably small for me, but that's what I am doing for the summer at least.

I am at 70-75 feet here. You think go to 65-70 and increase wake size?

Just now, 98buphon said:

Definitely shorten line and slow down.  I wouldn't increase wake size though. 

Slow down the boat or the cut?

It's kind of strange we don't have a wakeboarding forum here :unsure:

12 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Slow down the boat or the cut?

It's kind of strange we don't have a wakeboarding forum here :unsure:

I would assume he is saying slow down the boat.  If you ride full ballast, wedge down, 21.6mph and 60 feet, you will have a pretty decent wake.  

My brother rides at 55 feet at 20 mph, but he uses wedge only.

Make sure you are standing tall through the wake. 

Good persistence though!  You'll get it after a bit of practice.

I don't per se see a reason to slow boat down, but the cut can be turned down a significant amount.  watch some trick skiers and how they load the line and don't cut in from 60 feet.  Much more control that way.  If you're at  70-75, that's even longer than I thought.  I'd put you at 55 honestly.  the first 4 of your falls you were casing the wake.  never good and unneeded.

I agree that's the equivalent yes.  Notice how the pros go big without getting near as wide as you?  you're just flying into that wake and its not needed.  less is more.  You're flying in there because you "think" you have to cut that hard and long to clear the second wake which you're doing to yourself by having such a long rope.  Shorten the rope, load the line and shorten your cut and you'll be wake to wake with a lot more control.  One thing though, everyone going from a huge slalom cut like you to a progressive cut thinks they won't get enough air and throws the roll too early.  Don't let your self do that.  load the line all the way through the TOP of the wake before initiating the roll and you'll be doing well.

• Like 2

I notice that watching you do those crashes hurts a lot less than when I do those crashes myself. :)

Well done on the inverts.  The only advice I have is that you might consider a helmet with ear protection.  I know more than one person who has burst an ear drum on those falls.

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

Looks good, you might want to teach your driver not to power turn though... 

This was 5 minutes after a storm and there were 10 boats in the bay I was on. Waves arent much of an issue. But the true reason I haven't talked with her about it is that she has anxiety about driving. She is doing great and perfect pass is amazing as well. She doesn't power turn surfing, so another weekend and we will have that conversation.

I'm proud of her for driving at all!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OLDGUY said:

That last crash looked like you whip you neck pretty good. Those are the ones I hate.

I took some heavy damage. The second crash just like the last one I went a bit dark (seeing stars) I cut the recovery out but I had to float a couple minutes. Really hoping it gets better by this weekend, right now I can't sit up straight.l from laying down. I need to roll sideways first :) 

Otherwise it will be a surfing 4th. I want to try some of the tips in this thread. And I need to be limber to outrun wayward mortar shells as well. 

Daaaaaamn dude! You go hard in the paint!  I've busted a couple ear drums and threw out my shoulder doing stuff like this a few years back so I've mellowed out some but glad to see you still rockin'! Thanks for the vid, helps remind me what not to do! LOL 

12 hours ago, That Guy said:

Daaaaaamn dude! You go hard in the paint!  I've busted a couple ear drums and threw out my shoulder doing stuff like this a few years back so I've mellowed out some but glad to see you still rockin'! Thanks for the vid, helps remind me what not to do! LOL 

Lots of folks have mentioned the ear drum thing and getting a helmet. I was a ski racer when you only needed a helmet for 3/4 events, so I was kind of the last generation without helmets. Even the G23 kids on my lake don't ride with them. You think it's a smart idea? Is it mostly for ear coverage?

Granted I wear a full face on the motorcyle...

Please don't take the following as criticism, I'm only trying to help. I'm seriously concerned that you're going to really hurt yourself.

You're letting up on your edge right as you get to the wake, which is completely deflating all of the line tension that you've built up to that point. It's like you're charging the wake & then trying to jump it, which is actually backwards thinking. Try less charging of the wake, but rather progressively building up your edge as you approach the wake, & make that last little bit as you get to the wake your deepest, hardest cut. As mentioned, stand tall as you come off of the wake. (Go look up progressive edge if you haven't heard of it.) And I think that shortening up the line & slowing the boat down as you work on that is good advice. There are only a few inverts that don't require the progressive edge (tantrum is one), so learning to do that correctly would be a very good thing.

Please....work on that before trying any more inverts, you're going to seriously injure yourself with the way that you're going.

37 minutes ago, WakeGirl said:

Please don't take the following as criticism, I'm only trying to help. I'm seriously concerned that you're going to really hurt yourself.

You're letting up on your edge right as you get to the wake, which is completely deflating all of the line tension that you've built up to that point. It's like you're charging the wake & then trying to jump it, which is actually backwards thinking. Try less charging of the wake, but rather progressively building up your edge as you approach the wake, & make that last little bit as you get to the wake your deepest, hardest cut. As mentioned, stand tall as you come off of the wake. (Go look up progressive edge if you haven't heard of it.) And I think that shortening up the line & slowing the boat down as you work on that is good advice. There are only a few inverts that don't require the progressive edge (tantrum is one), so learning to do that correctly would be a very good thing.

Please....work on that before trying any more inverts, you're going to seriously injure yourself with the way that you're going.

Constructive criticism is always welcome! Like I said I never had anyone to teach me. In a lake with 3 dozen inboards growing up there were only a couple of people who could jump the wake.I am 3 days out and still in pain so I plan to just work on the edging this weekend. I can probably get 10-15 hours of wakeboarding in Thursday-Tuesday this week.

Is wakeworld the place to go for wakeboarding advice? I love the feedback in this thread but it seems like most of the board members surf with a small and active contingent of course skiers. I haven't seen a lot of wake boarding discussion around. I really do appreciate the feedback!