Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damaged Wakesurf Boards

Boaty2point0

Anybody got some slightly damaged wakesurf boards to sell?  I have fun repairing them and am looking to build my collection of boards. =-)

I picked this board up for $100.  Had a 4" chunk broken off of the nose.  A $25 surfboard repair kit, a $5 can of spray paint, and a few hours of TLC got me to this!

Here's the repair kit I used...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JPB9DI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_3703_zpsi9xiyzbh.jpg

IMG_3704_zpszxqlhzgy.jpg

Edited by Boaty2point0
Bad links to images
  • Like 2

Crap!  I know the rule here is "pics or it didn't happen" but, I totally forgot to take the "before" picture of the board.

To address the matter of "what is possible" though, there was a 1" x 4" curved section of fiberglass missing off the very front of the board plus up to 1" deep of missing foam. I cleaned up the edge of the fiberglass hole with a dremmel tool, filled in the gash with filler (epoxy plus a lightweight filler), sanded it to shape by hand, covered the filler with two layers of new fiberglass cloth, sanded, added a top coat of epoxy, sanded, masked, and painted it. I'd say, as long as the overall structure of the board is sound, you can repair small dings easily and more extensive damage like this can be repaired with ~5 hours of labor spread over several days (waiting for epoxy or paint to dry).  The best part about it was that feeling of "becoming one with your board."  Never thought I'd get that life experience living in the Midwest!