Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Specs for the Illusion X Tower

CanonGL1

I'm looking for any specifications or measurements on the Malibu Illusion X Tower. I need to make some mounting brackets for the 8" cans to mount on top of the forward cross bar. I don't want to run bolts through the bar as it looks like it is a flattened pipe and could cause it to crush when tightened. The back bar is 2" dia round pipe, but the front is two inches thick by maybe three wide and no way of telling what the curved radius is. I can't do a profile as the boat is in the garage of my partner 50 miles away. I'de like to make the brackets before Friday.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Just curious, Are you aware that there are numerous mounting points already built in to the tower (including pre-run wiring)? I do not have my boat handy, but if you are facing the tower, each side has two speaker mounts, two rack mounts, and I believe 3 light mounts. Unfortunately, I am about 800 miles away from my boat right now or I'd take some measurements for you...

FWIW, the mounts for the speaker consist of two tapped bolt holes and a center hole for the speaker wire to pass through (IIRC).

JZ

JZ,

Yes, I know about the wiring and mounting points. The problem is the speakers are 4 - 8" Eminence mids mounted in 8" cans. They will take up way too much room being mounted on the inside of the tower, especially on the insides of the uprights. So, we are locating them on the top of the forward cross bar, and the problem is there are no mounting points on the top of that bar.

Thanks for the info though.

Jeff

I am curious, are you planning to mount to the cross bar (with the pylon). I was wondering if you could run into trouble with the rope getting caught up in speakers?

P7040009.jpg

Surprised.gif

These speakers were mounted in the factory holes along with a total of four lights. I will attach a second photo.

P7040006.jpg

By the way, for those that noticed the GI joe doll...here is the story.

Sunglasses on top of hat, turn around, wind catches hat and glasses...all go into the drink. By the time we get back to where we would expect to find glasses and hat...nothing, but we did find GI joe. Figured, what the hell, make him the boat mascot!

That would totally eliminate the use of a bimini as it goes above the cross bar. Why the overkill when the speakers in the cans at the side sounds great???

What about mounting the speakers outside of the tower. This would accomodate the bimini and you could still run the wires inside of the tower?

Skylon actually has there Deafcon IV's available for the Illusion. That would be an 8" speaker that fits right in the factory mounting holes on the side of the tower.

Here is a LINK

jsaxton,

Yes I'm still thinking of putting them on the outside of the uprights under the racks. I'm also looking into putting them under the front cross member.

stewart

The price for one thing, I have a family to feed and gas to buy. The Eminence Beta 8As for another, at $52 a piece with specs that I'd be willing to bet blow the speakers used by Deafcon Vs away, (I don't know this for a fact though). Thanks for the link, it did give me a couple of ideas.

I've got quite a nice machine shop as a resource. Can do work with plastic, Aluminum, and wood. When I get up to Lexington this weekend I'll take some photo's of the Camcorder mount I built and post them. It came out very awsome. The speaker enclosures will be just as impressive (I hope).

Thanks for any and all input

Jeff

stewart

The price for one thing, I have a family to feed and gas to buy.  The Eminence Beta 8As for another, at $52 a piece with specs that I'd be willing to bet blow the speakers used by Deafcon Vs away, (I don't know this for a fact though). Thanks for the link, it did give me a couple of ideas.

I've got quite a nice machine shop as a resource. Can do work with plastic, Aluminum, and wood. When I get up to Lexington this weekend I'll take some photo's of the Camcorder mount I built and post them. It came out very awsome. The speaker enclosures will be just as impressive (I hope).

Thanks for any and all input

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

If you come up with a can design, I could probably spin them. Ifnot, I'm sure with your resources, you could get some 8" AL pipe and then put an end cap and a mounting ring on the other side. The bracket, would just need to conform to the outside radius of our speaker can, and then be flat to mount to the tower. Then all you would need to do is measure the hole patterns on the tower and machine some mounting plates out of AL or plastic.

Good Luck.