Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I want more sound!

JJ

I have a 2015 23 LSV.  I have a 3 Fosgate amp system:
* 400w for interior speakers
* 300w for sub woofer
* 500 watt for tower speakers

4 Wet Sounds tower speakers and stock speakers throughout the interior. For all of that equipment I don't think it's very loud. I can normally barely hear it while surfing. 

1) does it take a professional to adjust the Amps to get more sound?

2) how can I seperate the volume of the tower vs interior so people don't have to scream over each other?

Step 1- Turn up your gains on the amp 

Step 2- build a proper sub enclosure (or get a Qbomb)

thats your quickest path to better sound 

if you want to separate sound you'll also need an EQ like the Exile ZLD or WS420

Thanks!  I don't have any experience with playing with the amps. Is this something an amateur can do?  Are there knobs/controls under the amp cover?  I've heard "adjusting the gains" before and I know what you are saying but not sure how to do it. 

21 minutes ago, JJ said:

Thanks!  I don't have any experience with playing with the amps. Is this something an amateur can do?  Are there knobs/controls under the amp cover?  I've heard "adjusting the gains" before and I know what you are saying but not sure how to do it. 

Well I'm sure the pros will chime in at some point, but yes... the gains are hiding under the amp covers. 

I would turn your source (i.e. iPhone) up to about 3/4. Then turn your master volume knob up to max. Then adjust gains up to the highest point you'd ever want to hear. Sort of like how you adjust your water heater to only allow the kids to make it so hot at the faucet. 

I know there's more to it, but as a DIY that is how I would approach it. 

You could always take it to a competent stereo shop and pay them a few bucks for a professional tune. 

Trust me on this take your boat to a reputable shop, someone with great reviews that has been around along time.  Have them do the sub box and re tune your system. Setting gains can be done but it is best done by a pro.. this will be the best money spent.   

• Like 2

Don't be fooled by wattage ratings on the amps.  Post the brand and model number.  Most boats come from the factory dummy tuned with half as much power as is required to power the speakers that are installed.  Like liljohn said, find a local, reputable shop.  If the amps are Wet Sounds, call them and they'll refer you to the closest dealer.

JJ,

Re-tuning the tower an inboat amp will make some improvement, but dont expect too much. This involves way more than just cranking up the gains. The in-boats are only going to receive up to 50W rms. Thats half of what the 8" deserve and still a little light for the 6.5". 125W rms is very light for an 8" tower speakers, but respectable for a coaxial. 300W to the woofer is very light, but the biggest improvement is to build a proper enclosure. Then, the amp can be properly tuned.

If you want a decent improvement with minimal investment, build a woofer enclosure and retune all amps. For a noticeable improvement, invest in an amp, reconfigure the setup. 

As to your #2, A dual zone EQ like the WS-420 or the WS220 are great. For a more simple zone control, also consider the Kicker ZXM-RLC. Since the boat already has a woofer level knob, the ZXM would now give you 3 zone control. Inexpensive, very effective.    

If your budget is limited, get a clarion EQ for $50 and spend the $150 you save over the wetsounds or exile EQ on a better amp. PPI amps are good bang for the buck, and get a q-bomb box.