Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV Ballast Help!

blytle473

Hello fellow Malibu Owners,

I am new to the forum so lets just give it a go :)

I have a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter 23lsv with no factory ballast in it and just the manual wedge. 

I was wakesurfing on one of my friends Supra's for the first time this past weekend and now I absolutely love surfing!

The only problem is that I don't have an extra $120K to spend on a 2016 Wakesetter and I don't have the weight to make the perfect wake. 

I was wondering what the best setup would be for my kind of boat. I have the 8.1L Vortec so power to push the extra weight through the water shouldn't be a problem. 

Also was wondering if I would need to make a change to my propeller to get the optimal wake needed. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond if you can!

- Ben

I have a 2003 vlx so don't know how relevent the info is, but I have a 750 in each rear corner and 580 in the locker.  I think you can fit 1000 lb bags in each corner of the LSV.  I replaced all my factory tanks with bags, and my factory locker bag self destructed, so replaced that one with a slightly larger bag.   I have a factory system so it was all just plug and play though.  We also have a couple of 250's we fill with a seperate pump that we put where needed depending on how large a group we have.  When boarding they go in the bow and walkway.  Surfing, both on the port side passenger seat.  We are playing with "gates" but still surf listed so we tuck all the weight in the corner we are surfing from.  

I have the factory prop, (335 monsoon though) and struggle to get on plane at times.  I never put more than about 450 or 500 lbs in each rear bag when boarding(plus the wedge)

I just pieced it together over time.  

Don't know how much help it is, but at least you get a bump out of it.... :)

What is the 580 you put in the center locker?  We just had the 300lb center bag disintegrate and are looking for an upgraded replacement.  2002 LSV 

Thanks

To add to your post SoDakSooner, we put 900lb sumo sacs in the corners and used carpeted pressure treated plywood (home made) to replace the flimsy engine compartment dividers that wouldn't hold the sacs in place.  Did your vlx come with a stock 300lb center bag?  

Don't forget now, there are also items like the Ronix Shaper, Mission Delta, GSA, etc.   Sorry, I can't really lead you down the right path for your boat, but I'm sure others here will chime in.  I just wanted to make sure you are aware of all the various options out there now in addition to listing and homemade surf gates.  

https://www.wakemakers.com/eight3-wakesurf-shaper.html

http://www.missionboatgear.com

https://www.wakemakers.com/wavecontrol/?gclid=CMj7qvu71c0CFZKGaQod-d4NjQ

On 7/2/2016 at 1:29 PM, Malibulakerat said:

What is the 580 you put in the center locker?  We just had the 300lb center bag disintegrate and are looking for an upgraded replacement.  2002 LSV 

Thanks

Fly high pro series center locker.  580 lbs, now I will have to admit I have never checked to see  how full but seems pretty close to filling the compartment.  It will actually push the hatch open. I was under the impression from all my literature that the factory bag in those years was 500 lbs. The factory bag wasn't much smaller.

For the rears, I picked up the plug and play setup from wakemakers several years ago.  Pretty easy, but only thing i have to watch as I didn't put in any vented loops is that I will have to close the valves as they will auto drain when I shut the pump off.  Front autofills, which I don't mind.  I do have to close the fill valve when draining. Weird as it is configured exactly as the stock bag..

I did add a bigger pump (1100 gph) for the front.  Now my rear pumps are having issues so will upgrade them as well(and add vented loops when I do it.

My 750's are small enough that they dont push on the compartment dividers much.  Never have them both completely fill anyway.