Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flat 4 has 5 wires?

atolman

Weird question. My trailer currently hooks up to the flat 4 connection on my truck (2010 Tundra), but has 5 wires coming out of it. I'm assuming this extra wire is for the surge brakes? Do they sell a harness like this? I can't seem to find it. One of the pins broke and I need to wire in a new harness but now I'm confused as to how to get it all hooked up correctly. 

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

Does your trailer have surge brakes?  If so, it should have the 5 pin connector.

Not all trailers with surge brakes have lockout solenoids and 5 pin connectors.  My 2012 is the first trailer I've owned with a lockout solenoid, had many with surge brakes you just had to lock them out with the key.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Not all trailers with surge brakes have lockout solenoids and 5 pin connectors.  My 2012 is the first trailer I've owned with a lockout solenoid, had many with surge brakes you just had to lock them out with the key.

I've had some earlier trailers with surge drum brakes without the solenoid, but single piston trailer brakes don't work very well backing up, so they didn't bother installing a solenoid.  But I thought all disc brake trailers would have a solenoid (I assumed the OP had discs).

Should be pretty easy to tell.  Check to see if the trailer has a solenoid with a wire hanging off of it.  If so, that would be the lockout solenoid, which you want to be functional.

I'll check and grab a pic of it next time I'm out.  Boat is in storage 1/2 hour away.  It does have surge brakes (drum, not disc) and the plug looks like the one pictured above that "oldjeep" posted. I think this is the answer.