Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hosted my First Event - Learn to Slalom Day!

ahopkins22LSV

I remember events like this is what got me started,  Learn to Slalom, Learn to Barefoot, learn to drive for slalom and bare footers (that one I think was  a self service clinic).  That lead to some local tournaments and even a few years of a local ski show.  Granted we were on a VERY small lake and it was easy to get the word out and get participation, but it really kept those sports going.

• Like 1

Nice work in every regard!  And getting more people to understand - and maybe use - your course is always good.  Hard to get permits for courses these days...

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Thanks guys. We were excited to hear the lake association wanted to get involved and figured this would be a great way to do it. We have a pretty good relationship with the DNR for our permit but having the lake association want to keep the course, which they do, can only help. We are looking at doing an end of summer ski this year again, but this will for sure be an annual event. I want to grow it and gain momentum because to couple pro / high end national amateur skiers I have already talked to love the idea and are excited to see what we did, AND would like to be in communication for next years event! :yahoo:

Getting skiing back to being popular on public lakes is what we need!

And to everyone else who doesn't ski, yes I love to surf too. There is no better way to spend a Saturday then getting up to ski with friends and then surf in the afternoon with the same plus more friends. It is what we do pretty much every weekend!

Ok, I am off my soap box. Thanks for listening :)

Nice work, Hop!  

You'll have to keep me in the loop.  Considering my situation I should have more free time soon and would love to be involved.  I'll bring the boat if need be, too. 

Hopkins that video is sweet.   That's great you are trying to give back and share and teach skiing to those who want to learn but just don't have anyone to teach them.   That kind of passion will only help this grow. 

In the video  I noticed  your boat was leaning a little to the driver side....

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
  • Like 2

@ahopkinsTXi:  Kudos, congrats and a tip of the hat to you and all the organizers of that event, well done.  Sends a great message to everybody on and associated with the lake and a great way to introduce people to the great sport.  Awesome video and I certainly hope and expect to see that video streaming at the local Malibu dealer.  That video is probably the best illustration on relating the sport to a typical customer coming through the door.  Nice job.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Thanks @Woodski! The local dealer did help with letting us borrow some skis, and it was very appreciative from our side. The video should be going up on our lake association website and I will send it to SP too so they have it. It was organized quickly so hopefully the next one we can be a bit more proactive and get more involved.

Nice job all around. Nice to see others getting people into skiing.  We generally get 4 - 6 people going every year.  But this year we have not had any takers.

Man I would love it our lake association and/or the people on the lake took an interest in skiing.   I've offered to take people several times.   There is no course on the lake because we can't get a permit.   Some interest from lake owners might change that.

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

Man I would love it our lake association and/or the people on the lake took an interest in skiing.   I've offered to take people several times.   There is no course on the lake because we can't get a permit.   Some interest from lake owners might change that.

Send the association the video to show you can turn it into an event for all! And I say this is small. I want the whole damn course lined with boats that are tied up next year! I don't care how many rollers come back off of them it will be awesome!!

Just saw this.  This is really cool.  Can you bring that drone over to my place

I talked to our association about doing this last year, but then got lazy.  Maybe this is the impetus to do it this year.  Did you have any concerns about liability with people you didn't know?

P.S.  Just seeing the new PB.  Congrats on that too.

ahopkins22LSV
On June 27, 2016 at 1:48 PM, dtm8119 said:

That slow-mo in reverse towards the end was sweet!

I'm trying!! Got my friend back into skiing last year and he ran his first full pass Saturday morning!