Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate sticking

I have a 2015 23 LSV and have found on several occasions that the surf gate will stay deployed even after I stop.  I've narrowed it down to only when I do a quick start and then stop (surfer falls shortly after getting up).  It seems that if I get enough speed to where the gate deploys, but not enough where the speed is set, I run into this.  I end up having to do a short run to get the boat up to speed and then stop again to get it to retract.

Is this a known problem?  Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

On 6/28/2016 at 1:17 PM, OneZero81 said:

I just hit center on the control knob when that happens

I've tried that, but still find I have to run the boat up to speed to get it to retract.  

'16 23LSV, Mine stuck open. Gave the Reed Switch error. Wouldn't come back in at all. Got it back on the lift, got the name of the unit and Googled it. Found out how to bleed the hydraulic strut to get it back in so I could load it on the trailer easier. The gate out acts like another rudder making it hard to steer it at a slow speed. There's a Red 10mm nut sticking out of the body of the Hyd. unit, You can loosen off that nut until you can push in the gate. My service guy thinks water in the connector is the culprit. He says the connectors are down at the back of the stringers.

i have 100 hours on my 2016 lsv and my port side surfgate wouldn't close last week. I had to shut down motor and battery and it reset its self. I have noticed that the port side hydrolic is often dripping water even days after I take it out of the water. It is likely water gets inside and could cause some problems.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but it was the first one that google brought up, so in the interest of sharing to help others I thought I would share my experience today.  

First time my Bu has ever had an issue that really impacted our day, and it was the reed sensor error and a surfgate stuck open.  The tip I wanted to share was since we were on the water and couldn’t get the gate to come in, steering back to dock was going to be tough. We went into service mode on the screen though and when you start that, both gates deploy out.  With both gates now out, they cancelled each other’s rudder effect it. I was able to then just idle back and had full steering to easily get into our slip.  

And Ronnie correctly described the nut that can bleed off pressure, but he red part was just at the base of the bolt so with boat in the water, it all looks silver (at least on mine).   Once back on the lift we could see the red at the base.  

We got the gate back in eventually and with surfing over, we broke out the wakeboards.  I forgot how fun those can actually be!

Edited by hethj7
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2018 at 11:16 PM, hethj7 said:

Well, replaced my actuator tonight, but my symptoms are still there.  Waiting to talk with dealer to see what my next steps are.  

Just curious.  How’d this story end?

I had this happen 2 and a half weeks ago. I put it in service mode, then I calibrated the gates. The next time I went out, it never gave me a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 9:21 PM, hethj7 said:

I know this is an old thread, but it was the first one that google brought up, so in the interest of sharing to help others I thought I would share my experience today.  

First time my Bu has ever had an issue that really impacted our day, and it was the reed sensor error and a surfgate stuck open.  The tip I wanted to share was since we were on the water and couldn’t get the gate to come in, steering back to dock was going to be tough. We went into service mode on the screen though and when you start that, both gates deploy out.  With both gates now out, they cancelled each other’s rudder effect it. I was able to then just idle back and had full steering to easily get into our slip.  

And Ronnie correctly described the nut that can bleed off pressure, but he red part was just at the base of the bolt so with boat in the water, it all looks silver (at least on mine).   Once back on the lift we could see the red at the base.  

We got the gate back in eventually and with surfing over, we broke out the wakeboards.  I forgot how fun those can actually be!

Any update on the out come of this? I have a 16 23LSV as well and had this exact same experience yesterday. It was at the end of the day so its back on the lift with both surf gates stuck open. Waiting on the dealer to call me back on it but would appreciate any input. Thanks 

Both cases will most likely need a new surf actuator. there is also a chance that the (relay pack) failed as well. The relay packs 4 pack(axis no power wedge) or 6 pack(malibu and axis with power wedge and surf gate), the relay packs are responsible for switching polarity to push out or pull in the wedge and/or the surf gates. when they fail, polarity will not change. hard to explain.  but sometimes you can try service mode or calibrate mode. You might get lucky and get both surf gates to come in. either way you will need parts, very slim change a wire pulled out of the reed switch plug. plugs are in back on the boat, by rear ballast tank drains. may need to pull up rear floor part and pull up some carpet on the back wall. 

37 minutes ago, Malibuguru0515 said:

Both cases will most likely need a new surf actuator. there is also a chance that the (relay pack) failed as well. The relay packs 4 pack(axis no power wedge) or 6 pack(malibu and axis with power wedge and surf gate), the relay packs are responsible for switching polarity to push out or pull in the wedge and/or the surf gates. when they fail, polarity will not change. hard to explain.  but sometimes you can try service mode or calibrate mode. You might get lucky and get both surf gates to come in. either way you will need parts, very slim change a wire pulled out of the reed switch plug. plugs are in back on the boat, by rear ballast tank drains. may need to pull up rear floor part and pull up some carpet on the back wall. 

Thanks for the reply. Just as the other person posted, it started with the right side and I tried calibration and service mode while on the water as it would be hard to steer with one extended. Had a strange gyrations of both sides while trying this that's are not worth detailing, but the end result was both sides being stuck extended. The calibration and service mode buttons on the screen have stopped responding totally, even after 3 battery off reboots. No way both reed switch plugs came out at the same time so a relay pack would be a logical problem.

My fix was a new actuator, which the reed switch is integral too.  Well, actually two since Malibu shipped my dealer a bad replacement part straight from the factory.  

If both gates are acting up in service mode, it may be your relay.  I just had an issue with the right gate.  

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2016 Axis A24 that had the port surf gate stick open. I'v e tried battery off reset multiple times, service mode, recalibration multiple times and nothing has worked. I can not figure out where the fuses are to check those. Does anyone have a picture of the location of the fuses? I would just like to get the gate  shut to be able to use the boat for other things until I can get someone to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated!

7 hours ago, Darrenwellenreiter said:

I have a 2016 Axis A24 that had the port surf gate stick open. I'v e tried battery off reset multiple times, service mode, recalibration multiple times and nothing has worked. I can not figure out where the fuses are to check those. Does anyone have a picture of the location of the fuses? I would just like to get the gate  shut to be able to use the boat for other things until I can get someone to fix it.

you run a jumper wire pair , i cut old house ext cord,  from battery to stern,  find left snd right labeled water proof plugs,  open left labeled plug and run which polarity closes it, reverse and check opening and then reverse again to check viability of actuator.  my lenco control box had some corrosion on female cap and male box studs,  i cleaned and worked for a month( long standing problem i used calibration snd surfgate service menu items to fix, which i had already done many times over 5 years  ).  then it broke again and cleaning wouldn't fix, ordered new lenco control box from lenco and now fixed again in drive way, yet to use it on water

my worry is female cap corrosion which is part of a big left and right harness to relay and actuators may cause problem later after male studs deteriorate from transferred corrosion i may never be able to eliminate completely 

it is not the fuse if one side works but it is under tranny cover sticking out of a corrugated split wire conduit above port ballast fill , it only has one fuse for whole system 

i am a terrible mechanic and i fixed mine. temporarily and now permanent (i think) with new box

i replaced relay before buying box but that didnt fix it so it is box if both actuators work manually and fuse and relay are goid

if one side works snd both actuators move both directions, its not tge relay or fuse 

ooops, reading above you may have hydraulic actuators and now not sure about yours,  read above to retract your gate as jumping may or may not work 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 8/12/2020 at 6:06 AM, Darrenwellenreiter said:

2016 was the first year that hydraulic surf gate actuators were used and there are a few different wiring designs depending on when the boat was built and what repairs or updates have been done to it since then.

The most common setup for 2016 had two 40 amp ATC rubber inline fuse holders in the wiring harness along the transom of the boat in the engine compartment.  Each fuse could be found on the transom harness between the rectangular relay pack and the port or starboard actuator.  The rectangular relay pack is located on the transom on the port side of the engine compartment.  If the fuse is blown for one of the actuators, it will not move.  If there is a problem with one of the four bedded relays, the actuators will not work correctly.  Later models and updated ones have two 40 amp re-settable breakers near the relay pack.

Each actuator has two harnesses with two wires.  The larger blue and green 12 gauge wires are the power and ground for the actuator motor, the smaller 18 gauge black and red wires are for the reed switch in the actuator.  If there is a problem with either plug or connectors, or if the internal reed switch in the actuator fails, the actuators will not work correctly.

Hope this helps.