Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Unfamiliar Engine!

Jefferstone

Hey everyone,

I am looking at buying a used Response LX around $18K and I found this and sounds like a pretty good deal:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-malibu-response-lx-692861/

My question is I am unfamiliar with this engine and can't really find any info on it, I know the Malibu's use the indmar or the Merc 310 but not sure on this one. Does anyone know anything about this engine?  Why would it have this vs. the Indmar?

Thanks,

Jeff 

1 hour ago, Jefferstone said:

Why would it have this vs. the Indmar?

Thanks,

Jeff 

Not familiar with that exact engine displacement/HP, but...

Could have been a tournament/club/show or something that had a sponsorship deal and was ordered that way new. Not a big deal, plenty of them out there with non-standard engines for various reasons, including test mules. Due to the age of the boat aftermarket support is more important than dealer support anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

Here is the brochure:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/malibu/malibu_2003_brochure.pdf

Malibu didn't get the 340HP 6.2L Black Scorpion, it got the 330HP 5.7L version, which is equivalent to the Indmar Monsoon motor.  Both are just GEN-I SBC's.  I highly doubt they swapped in the 6.2L motor on that boat.

I had the 330hp Black Scorpion in my 2004 RLXi.  I really liked that motor.  Never had an issue with it.  While I like the 6.0L in my TXi more, I liked that Black Scorpion more than the Indmar Monsoon 325 I had in my 2000 Sunsetter.  It ran like a bat out of hell and was noticeably better on gas consumption than any other motor I've ever had.

There was one annoying thing about it... it took about 45 mins to change the impeller rather than the 5 on an Indmar because you had to take the water pump off the motor.  Not a big deal, but something to point out.

Mike  

Agreed with above.  Black Scorpions were fairly common in that era.  That's all Tommy Bartletts would put in theirs.  Had one as a club boat once and it was a great motor.  Imagine NB is right about the 5.7 also.  If it has a 6.2, it's not likely the original mill.

If it's the 5.7, I wouldn't hesitate.  Runs better than the Monsoons from '02 and '03 with their respective cold-bloodedness and idle flair.

Edited by UWSkier

inlaws have a black scorpion in their 2004 rlxi. Nothing wrong with it, impeller is a bigger pain to change but they also have fuel coolers and don't suffer from the vapor lock that some indmars of that vintage have.

Thanks for the info - I emailed him so let's see if he gets back to me.  I can't believe he would know what the engine is and he would post the wrong one in the add but you never can tell.  It seems to be in really good condition but the one thing that worries me is the brakes on the trailer don't work and I would be driving from WI to go pick it up (19hrs).  The other thing I was concerned with was if the Mercs had a bad reputation of things going wrong but it looks like everyone put that one to rest so thank you - I feel a little more comfortable now!

If he's a serious seller and you're a serious buyer, explain the situation and ask him to get the brakes fixed so you can pull your new toy home!

Probably not - I used to have a 99 Sportster LX and it rode fine without brakes but it would be nice to have em I guess!

39 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

does an lx on a trailer even weigh enough to need brakes?

Depends on the tow vehicle I guess.  I used to haul our team LXes with an S10 ZR2 and I appreciated the trailer brakes.

Just now, UWSkier said:

Depends on the tow vehicle I guess.  I used to haul our team LXes with an S10 ZR2 and I appreciated the trailer brakes.

I'm assuming that for a 19 hour tow he would use a proper tow vehicle.

No, I have a 2004 Acura MDX SUV - the tow capacity is 4500lbs but I don't think I want to drive 19hrs maxed out.

Pretty sure federal law is anything over 3500lbs requires brakes now, as we've been installing many more braking systems on RV towed vehicles than we used to. That boat and trailer should be right there completely empty and dry.

That said, mine may or may not have ever worked. Tahoe stops it okay, even with the worst factory brakes of any vehicle I've ever owned. My Expedition and even my little QX4 stop it much better.

BTW Jefferstone, my brother pulled his ProStar 190 with an MDX for 10 years. No issues, and similar trailer brakes, or possible lack thereof, to mine.

Edited by jk13

LX weighs 2450 according to resource section, so should be under 3500 on a single axle trailer. Small suv wouldn't my choice for a cross country trip, but you should be well within rating. For a little suv I would want working brakes.

i know for certain that you can rent a full size SUV and tow one way with it.  We rent cars regularly, and last year i went to buy a boat many states away, had a rental suburban and was ready for a long overnight haul.  Some companies put in a hitch block, or a zip tie or similar, but at least one rental company leaves the hitch receiver open.  Costs a couple hundred bucks, and TSA will not let you bring a hitch in your carry on, so check it or plan to buy a new one when you pick up the boat.

We tow our VTX with a Yukon XL, and haven't had any concerns with or without working trailer brakes.... which is on my to do list when the boat finally gets into the lake this year.

The guy got back to me and it is indeed the 6.2 340hp engine and he said the boat runs amazing with no issues so I am going to have a conversation on the phone with him and I might be takin a road trip, anyone wanna drive to FL?

• Like 2

I had the 315 hp. version in a 96 Response. That boat was super quick and had tons of torque. it had a fuel cooler so no issues with vapor lock like I have now with my 05 340 Monsoon.

Like others have said the only pain is changing the impeller. I just sold it and at 20 yrs. it was as solid as the day I got it. Never had to do any repairs.

You will love that motor.

1 hour ago, Jefferstone said:

The guy got back to me and it is indeed the 6.2 340hp engine and he said the boat runs amazing with no issues so I am going to have a conversation on the phone with him and I might be takin a road trip, anyone wanna drive to FL?

Tempting, if I could get off. Good luck on it.

@Jefferstone:  That boat will be very quick, as noted boat weighs 2450# and with a 6.2 L it is an excellent barefoot or slalom machine.  Merc's are a good product, pretty much bulletproof.  I would jump on it if you want a Response with extra grunt, from the ad it seems to be an excellent option, no period colors, upgraded engine, GPS speed control, reasonable hours.