Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kids wakeboard selection advice needed

Badger

I'm trying to find a wakeboard that both my kids can use and not break the bank.  I've been checking Craigslist for about a month and coming up empty.  My daughter is about 5'4" and 95 lbs and my son is about 4' 8" and 70 lbs.  They both learned on a board last summer that was 109 cm.  I'm thinking that I'd like to find a 120 or 124 cm.  Does that sound about right?

I don't know anything about wakeboards and really just looking for a package deal that will get them up and riding.  I'm not worried about tricks or anything right now.  Most important feature would be something that won't catch an edge and cause a faceplant.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a board and/or places to check?  Closeout deals and leftover models would be preferable.

We bought a Ronix krush. Seems solid. I don't know that it's better than any other. I was sold on the asymmetrical shape, suppose to make learning toe side easier. My wife rides it to and likes it. We bought last years mode and saved some there, $300 for board and binding. Your son may not like those colors, the 2016 is more neutral.

Edited by henrik
$

My girls used a LF Star 128 since they were 6. My youngest is 11 and ~100# now and still uses it. I thought this was they year for a new. She tried a few and wanted to keep using this one. Point being they aren't cheap and you would get a few more years out out a 128 and it's not going to be too big for him now.

22 hours ago, Simo said:

My girls used a LF Star 128 since they were 6. My youngest is 11 and ~100# now and still uses it. I thought this was they year for a new. She tried a few and wanted to keep using this one. Point being they aren't cheap and you would get a few more years out out a 128 and it's not going to be too big for him now.

This. Don't be afraid to push into the upper 120s. Keep in mind that your son is quickly reaching an age where he'll be growing so fast that you'll almost be able to see him getting bigger before your eyes. There was one winter where my youngest son went through 3 sizes of shoes, in a single winter.

Keep an eye on Craigslist, & I've also had good luck with finding leftovers on Evo.com's outlet.