Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me find this replacement hose

jtrovato

Was out this morning and noticed the engine never came up to temp. Then noticed the bilge running...open up the hatch and yup, water in the bilge is a couple inches from the floor. Open the engine hatch and see a hose is split and water spraying all over. Luckily we weren't too far from the marina so made it back and got all the water drained out. Can anyone tell me where to get this hose other than a dealer? Does it come pre-formed in the correct size? Wish there was a place to get it today or tomorrow so I don't lose this great weekend. 

image_zpsqgb258b0.png

image_zpscs2loxwt.jpeg

image_zpsr1fsuzlq.jpeg

i would not rely on it far from the dock (think wilderness) but keeping a roll of silicone tape (it's self fusing) in the boat is worth considering.

can be applied while wet/under water.  

if not pushing far from the dock i'd even consider seeing if it could save the weekend (qualified with keeping a close eye on the temp gauge and very regular visual on the split realizing that if that engine overheats it can get expensive).

at most hardware or big box stores.

• Like 2

Take it to a local auto parts store, see if they can't find something close. The rescue tape idea above is great too - that's amazing stuff and should be in every boat tool box!

Found and ordered the replacement hose on Bakes online. Should be here by Thursday! Need to order some of that tape too, thanks for the link. 

For you or anyone else watching this thread, there is a mercruiser/quicksilver version of this hose that has a drain with a wing plug mounted at the low point. Great addition for tool free quick-drain process I use regularly in the late fall. http://autoplicity.com/9043011-mercuryquicksilver-32-861590a05-circ-pump-hose-305350377?gclid=CMHXkKvAx80CFRSPfgod5QMECg

• Like 2

So I got the hose in the mail yesterday and went down to the boat and installed it with no issues.  One question though, it came with a metal spring inside the hose.  It went almost the entire length of the hose and had a smaller coil at each end, almost like you see in a AA battery compartment.  I left the spring in the hose when I installed it, but wondering if I should have taken it out?  The hose that came off had no spring in it. 

Any ideas on what that spring is for? Is it to help it keep it's shape so the hose doesn't crush?  To stop big chunks of debris from being sucked through the hose? 

After I posted this, I decided to check the Google machine and found lots of info on the spring in the hose, also called a radiator hose coil.  Most topics were related to lower radiator hoses on cars, but the concept seems to be the same.  They are there to prevent the hose from collapsing under vacuum.  So I guess it's good that I left it in there, even though the old one didn't have it.