Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 21 XTi or Sunscape 21 LSV

G2boats

We have skied a lot behind an 04 Sunsetter 21 XTi, love the XTi layout and the diamond hull.   Can't find a 03/04 Sunsetter 21 XTi.

Have an opportunity to buy an '04 Wakesetter 21 XTi (great layout, wake hull) at a great price.

Found an 04 Sunscape 21 LXV (V-drive, Diamond hull).

Which would have the best slalom wake, Sunscape or Wakesetter?  We slalom a lot, but not on the course.

Thanks for any advice/experience you would share.

If I were considering a DD it would be a traditional layout and not an XTi. I would think resale will take a hit with an XTi compared to a traditional DD or any vdrive. The Sunscape will have more storage, more versatility when it comes to hiding sacks for surfing, etc...I can't comment on the wakes though.

I love my XTI layout, also have to think the wake for slalom would be better behind it than the sunscape v-drive. I can surf and wakeboard no problem behind my XTI. granted I don't have 1100# hidden here, there and everywhere but that might be a guy thing :)

Seriously, I have power wedge and a little ol' 400# sack I use. I have had a pro wake rider ride behind my boat and on the same day he rode behind my friends 2004 waksetter LSV. (the 2 boats have the same hull) he liked my wake just as good,said its a bit more rampy. For surfing I put the wedge down then adjust 2 or 3 clicks up, speed between 9.8 & 10.4 depending on the surfer (not GPS verified). The 400# I put in the storage box part of the XTI, not all the way in the back. I fill my built in bow ballast and hope I have an additional 2 or 3 large people to add ballast. I have a mission delta on the way so I can post up pictures of the wave once I dial it in.

Unless re-sale is a huge factor I would go XTI if you love slalom at all, whether in the course or not.

NOTE: I chose the XTI over a VTX because I like the way a DD handles and drives compared to a v-drive - both boats skied and had similar wake board speed wakes, I was floored, in a good way, by the VTX ski wake!

If you intend to slalom ski, I'd be inclined to suggest holding out for a diamond hull.

Can't speak for the XTi specifically, but DD boats will generally ski better than a v-drive. 

That said, the 2004 21 LSV Sunscape was arguably the best v-drive slalom boat made, until the introduction of the VTX/20 LSV in 2007, and definitely worth a look/test drive. 

12 minutes ago, srab said:

If you intend to slalom ski, I'd be inclined to suggest holding out for a diamond hull.

Can't speak for the XTi specifically, but DD boats will generally ski better than a v-drive. 

That said, the 2004 21 LSV Sunscape was arguably the best v-drive slalom boat made, until the introduction of the VTX/20 LSV in 2007, and definitely worth a look/test drive. 

:plus1: But I would add that if there is any chance you or yours will be getting into surfing or more wake boarding, then go for the 21 LSV.  I slalom behind my (2005) all the time at 32 - 36 and, while not a boat for courses, you can still make good fast crosses without banging your feet or losing the fin.

I had a 06 Malibu Ride 21xti, it was my first new boat.  I loved the Xti layout compared to a DD.  Back then I was mainly a slalom skier and wakeborded just to goof around, I loved that boat Wakerski Mag awarded it then best all around towboat and boat of the year I believe!  I was a little bumbed when I was shopping for my current boat and realized they gave up on the Xti layout.  The XTI had wakeview seating before wakeview seating was cool!  But my V-drive MXZ is really nice now with my little kids!