Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mastercraft throwdown challenge

footndale

ahopkins22LSV
49 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

seems like the same sort of unnecessary option as perfect pass.  people with mad skills don't need, regular people will really like.

I disagree. Mainly from a skiing point but even wake boarding. With a skier the speed control is making the same kinds of adjustments from boat to boat to boat so it's always a consistent pull. Without question it helped progress the sport. I imagine it's the same with wake boarding. Lots of weight with the long ropes the boat is constantly making adjustments. At least in my experience pulling some events around here.

• Like 3

Why are so many people here against making driving a boat easier? 

If there is a option for it to be easier, I want it. Just like how I wouldn't buy a manual transmission car. 

But then again, I'm not driving a boat for fun, riding is the fun part. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, wakemitch said:

If there is a option for it to be easier, I want it. Just like how I wouldn't buy a manual transmission car. 

mostly because it adds even more failure prone complexity to solve a non issue. Reminds me of the gm four wheel steer.

• Like 3

It definitely has its pros and cons.  What they lose in the hardcore boater realm who really doesn't NEED this, they gain in the casual boating in people who WANT this.  As we can tell from the thread from Boat Ramp Idiots, a lot of people struggle docking, putting the boat on the trailer, etc., and this feature definitely can help with those issues.  But for those who can make use of the extra wake put out on a M or a G and are always on the water, I don't think this feature really wins anyone over.   

I think it is smart for MC to cater to those who may be less experienced (but still buy a boat) while Malibu/Nautique fight it out for the hardcore users.  Not saying it is the best move, but it can be justified.

1 hour ago, wakemitch said:

I'm with you Mitch.  I think it'll help the industry as a whole, just like Surfgate did.  IMO people here are against it because Malibu didn't come up with it first, and it's on a MC.......If Malibu came up with this idea it would be the next great thing.

Just now, Sixer said:

I'm with you Mitch.  I think it'll help the industry as a whole, just like Surfgate did.  IMO people here are against it because Malibu didn't come up with it first, and it's on a MC.......If Malibu came up with this idea it would be the next great thing.

As long as it is an option and not standard.  Some people won't want it, new or used because they are perfectly comfortable with how they have always docked and put the boat on the trailer.  Not saying it has no value, but for some it won't make a difference. 

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, BadgerBoater55 said:

As long as it is an option and not standard.  Some people won't want it, new or used because they are perfectly comfortable with how they have always docked and put the boat on the trailer.  Not saying it has no value, but for some it won't make a difference. 

Agreed. We boat in a lot of tight places. If you practice and take your time you can make the boat move in both directions with the current setup. Just have to understand how to slide the stern around using a combo of forward/reverse with the rudder positioned correctly.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I disagree. Mainly from a skiing point but even wake boarding. With a skier the speed control is making the same kinds of adjustments from boat to boat to boat so it's always a consistent pull. Without question it helped progress the sport. I imagine it's the same with wake boarding. Lots of weight with the long ropes the boat is constantly making adjustments. At least in my experience pulling some events around here.

I have to agree, @ahopkinsTXi.  PP is the only thing missing from my boat.  

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, Soon2BV said:

hmmm, just wondering what the hardcore direct-drive skiers said when they put the engine in the back and made a v-drive?

Go over to ball of spray... the conversation is still going on.

But as a skier, the LAST thing I want in a boat is more underwater gear. I would be willing to bet this is not offered on the Prostar.

• Like 2

I'll take anything that will give the wife more confidence to drive. The more she will drive the more I get to not.

Bet it be handy on those windy days heading in to the boat lift or trailer too. Even if it saves you once I'd be happy. Gel damage sucks.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Ding ding ding

55 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Of course.  It's definitely a useful feature for some users...  It's just fun to be completely blindly brand biased on the 'bucrew boards!  :)  If we can't do that here, then where the heck can we?  :)

Another high dollar gadget to add to an already neutered society! I believe someone has this quote on their page, "smooth seas don't make good sailors". What's next driverless boats?

IMOH, it's not an entirely new concept.  Centurion had a dual rudder boat back in the mid 90's.  They didn't use it for backing up, but rather better tracking.  Called it CATS on the LaPoint Tru Trac ski boat.  

https://books.google.com/books?id=iCE2AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=ski+centurion+two+rudders&source=bl&ots=yfGSqr_RyY&sig=UjKNreagHdOqg7Ah9T_NucsEH3Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidsNfK07rNAhWK2B4KHWGsBOUQ6AEIUDAM#v=onepage&q=ski%20centurion%20two%20rudders&f=false

End of the day, dockstar will put non-inboard owners into new Inboards (evidently MC's).  The sudden influx of I/O "surf" boats is pushing people into the sport of surfing.  MC just opened the door for those I/O owners to get a towboat that can drive easily.  I see it not differently than when they put the brakes on Seadoo's or the IPS systems on big cruisers.  This so-called tech sells boats. 

• Like 1

It's part of the "sport handling package ".  Which I'm sure is about 5-6k msrp.  Maybe more depending on what you get.  No word yet but I'm guessing it includes other things like a backup camera.  

I'm all for anything that makes a Wally less dangerous to me and my family/crew

I've never really thought that having the ability to control an inboard boat in reverse is some kind of badge of honor, I'm generally thinking what a crude control system this expensive boat has.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, edwin said:

IMOH, it's not an entirely new concept.  Centurion had a dual rudder boat back in the mid 90's.  They didn't use it for backing up, but rather better tracking.  Called it CATS on the LaPoint Tru Trac ski boat.  

https://books.google.com/books?id=iCE2AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=ski+centurion+two+rudders&source=bl&ots=yfGSqr_RyY&sig=UjKNreagHdOqg7Ah9T_NucsEH3Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidsNfK07rNAhWK2B4KHWGsBOUQ6AEIUDAM#v=onepage&q=ski%20centurion%20two%20rudders&f=false

correct, and centurion still does it with its "articulating tracking system" for tweaking wakes.

I switch between Malibu, Supra and Nautiques, with this I won't have to remember what boat goes right or left in reverse. :) It's going to take all the fun out if I always dock correctly.

• Like 3