Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

prop effect 2249 to 1235

fastmcars

I'm getting rid of a 2012 vtx and getting a 2016 23 lsv. I have a spare prop from the vtx that is a 1235, and the new boat comes with a 2249. The only difference is the diameter by .5". I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the effects of swapping out. It could be a little top end speed and a little less low end grunt.

^ This.  1,000 times.  I just got a 2016 A24 with the 1235.  I couldn't get it to plane out with only the sub floor ballast and 5 people in the boat.  It needs a 15 inch prop.  And if you are going to put some weight in it...you need an aggressive pitch as well.  I have a buddy with a new A22 and runs the 2249.  It works well for him; however he takes a while to get on plane.  He is currently looking at swapping it out for a 2313 or 2315.

I am running the 2249 that was ordered from factory. Top end is 33-34 MPH and RPMs run really high. I am going to switch to the 2277 as well.

Question- Where is the best pricing for the 2277?

I had been running the 2249 as well. It has plenty of kick with the raptor motor. I am at a low altitude and I am considering the 2401 15x17.75. This prop cuts down on rpm's, significantly cuts down the noise, eliminates bow rise, but it does take a little longer to get up to speed when ballasts are full. I tried the 2277 and it was very similar to the 2249. But I will never run the 2249 again. It was just too aggresive for us.

I have a brand new 2277 that has less than 2 hours on it. I still have receipt; just bought it last week. IM me if you are interested in buying it. I am going with the 2401.

Interesting info on the 2401 and 2277. I have a 2249 on my boat, granted its my first wake boat but I didn't really think it was bad, sure top speed isn't that great but I figured it was because I needed lowend power because of all the ballast.  Sounds like maybe I should look into the 2401, I'd love those benefits...any info on top speed with it?

I had some issues with the 2249 when I first started using the boat. I think most of the problem was it was just so much different from what I had liked before. My top end is a hair over 40. I don't take the boat to that area so it's not an issue. We surf 99% of the time. The prop is great for that. It has the torque and low end power to pull big guys out of the lake very slowly. I don't have to jerk the big guys out anymore. I can just ease them up and it's a lot easier on the big rider. The smaller rider, can't even tell they are there. I think fuel consumption is a bit higher. I think I'll keep this 2249. 

Any recommendations for the 15 VLX. The 1235 just isn't enough. I am running the monsoon 350 and weighted down max crew of 5 or 6 and I am pegging it all the way out. 

14 minutes ago, SURFNUT said:

Any recommendations for the 15 VLX. The 1235 just isn't enough. I am running the monsoon 350 and weighted down max crew of 5 or 6 and I am pegging it all the way out. 

2773 15" 13 pitch 105 cup.15 lsv 3300 ft altitude 4000 lbs ballast  3150 rpm surf speed, top speed 40 mph 0 to surf speed almost nothing! I do have the 450 though. Thanks again @cory for the recommendation 

1 hour ago, SURFNUT said:

@SURFNUT I assume you've seen this thread:

Specifically look at the post from nyryan2001 where he shares the "feel" of the 2315 vs. 2249. Granted this is for an LS3, but testing two props on the same boat is a valid "apples to apples" comparison:

I've got a 1235 on my '15 23 LSV with 550s in the rear lockers and a fly high triangle in the bow and I'm usually at either sea level or 2000' (some of the NorCal crew will correct me to 1956'). I have a 2315 that I want to put on the boat, but I need to do a few "measurement" runs with different ballast configurations logging speed, RPM, and time. I also have wakemakers custom 827 lb rear locker ballast bags ready to install but I want some data on the stock config before I swap a bunch of parts and pieces. In the long run I'm trying to recreate the wave in the last picture of this post:

3 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I had been running the 2249 as well. It has plenty of kick with the raptor motor. I am at a low altitude and I am considering the 2401 15x17.75. This prop cuts down on rpm's, significantly cuts down the noise, eliminates bow rise, but it does take a little longer to get up to speed when ballasts are full. I tried the 2277 and it was very similar to the 2249. But I will never run the 2249 again. It was just too aggresive for us.

I have a brand new 2277 that has less than 2 hours on it. I still have receipt; just bought it last week. IM me if you are interested in buying it. I am going with the 2401.

Can you give us more info on the 2401. What is your top end. What engine and boat and how much weight for surfing?

g

2016 23 lsv with 410 Raptor motor: WOT with 2 adults (no ballast) is 41 at 5500 rpms. I have more info in the boat and I will post it later.

With full internal ballast and 2x750 PnP and wedge at 2 below stow = 10.5 mph at 3100 rpm. Also, internal ballast filled and 3-4 adults the boat stays between 3300 and 3400 rpms at 21.5 mph for wakeboarding. This prop is very recreational and it cuts down on fuel consumption as well. The only problem is it pulls wakeboarders out slowly, and when I have ballast, PnP's full, wedge and more than 2 adults in the boat, it will not maintain a 10.5 mph speed. It tells you to give it more throttle. I just emply the 750 lbs sacks a little and then we are fine. I think I will go with this prop mainly because it cuts down on the engine and tranny noise. It doesn't allow the engine to reach high rpms as quickly; therefore, it smoothly reaches and settles into 25 mph to get you where you want to go. 

7 hours ago, mikeo said:

@SURFNUT I assume you've seen this thread:

Specifically look at the post from nyryan2001 where he shares the "feel" of the 2315 vs. 2249. Granted this is for an LS3, but testing two props on the same boat is a valid "apples to apples" comparison:

I've got a 1235 on my '15 23 LSV with 550s in the rear lockers and a fly high triangle in the bow and I'm usually at either sea level or 2000' (some of the NorCal crew will correct me to 1956'). I have a 2315 that I want to put on the boat, but I need to do a few "measurement" runs with different ballast configurations logging speed, RPM, and time. I also have wakemakers custom 827 lb rear locker ballast bags ready to install but I want some data on the stock config before I swap a bunch of parts and pieces. In the long run I'm trying to recreate the wave in the last picture of this post:

Yes Mike I have read that post. 2315 or 2419? I am rarely if ever concerned about top speed. Fuel consumption and excess wear on the motor and tranny are my main concerns but now that I am wake boarding and surfing fully bagged with 5 to 7 onboard I definitely need a more aggressive prop. I still do a good bit of recreational running around on the lake as well. Still not sure which prop is gonna serve me best. I'll reference the numbers to my dealer and ask his advice as well. Thanks for the help and info. 

15 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

PM sent

Looks like I am going with the 2419. Hope the higher rpms especially at cruise speed are not too hard on the motor. I guess we will see. I also hope I don't suffer prop burn that I have read about. My dealer says this would be his prop of choice on his own boat and I have a lot of trust in him so I'll post the results after some time out with it on the boat. 

On June 22, 2016 at 10:52 PM, SURFNUT said:

Looks like I am going with the 2419. Hope the higher rpms especially at cruise speed are not too hard on the motor. I guess we will see. I also hope I don't suffer prop burn that I have read about. My dealer says this would be his prop of choice on his own boat and I have a lot of trust in him so I'll post the results after some time out with it on the boat. 

You won't have prop burn. I don't on my 05 VLX. 2419 is love, 2419 is life. 

Born to late to explore the earth. Born too soon to explore the Galaxy. Born just in time to run 2419. 

• Like 2

I've only seen one forum documented case of prop burn on a ski boat.  I think it is rare.  MB says not to run anything over 14.5" but every one runs a 15" just fine on them  

I have over 950 hours with the 2419 and have not had any prop burn.  I have the 350 engine and it performs well heavily weighted and tuns 3700 rpm at 26 mph cruise sped which we find very suitable especially if heavy chop. Good luck and have a safe and fun boating season!

Hi guys, I'm a little late to the discussion but does anyone know if the 2277 would be a dog on my 2016 VLX, 6.2 litre Raptor? The boat was delivered to me with a 2249. I dinged it up at our local boat launch ?. The dealer gave me a 2315 to try as a replacement. Way to much prop and way too many rpms in my opinion. Just wondering if the 2249 is best for this boat or should I look for something with less pitch?

We are running about 3000 ft above sea level.

The 2277 will be perfect for your boat. It works very similar to the 2249, but it lowers RPM's and raises the WOT speed. I tested it on my 2016 23 lsv with the 410 Raptor and I was still looking for a little less torque, so I went with the 2401 15x17.75. This one is somewhat of a dog with ballast and sacs full, but the 2277 did fine. I am at 1000 feet above sea level.