Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Jack Steering Fork?

mtnbkr738

Hi All,

I put a new Fulton Trailer jack on. I have to manually push my trailer tongue over to the side after I unhitched to kinda "tuck" the trailer in the right spot on my driveway. The trailer jack wheel is really hard to turn by kicking it with my foot to get the tongue headed in the right direction.

QUESTION: anyone know of a trailer jack "steering fork" idea? LIke a bar that would come off the wheel to help steer it? I don't kneed one of those Electric dollies... Just an easier way to steer the wheel.... (Gets kinda hard to kick that wheel with gym shoes on.)

ANy help is appreciated. Thx!

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:35 AM, mtnbkr738 said:

Hi All,

I put a new Fulton Trailer jack on. I have to manually push my trailer tongue over to the side after I unhitched to kinda "tuck" the trailer in the right spot on my driveway. The trailer jack wheel is really hard to turn by kicking it with my foot to get the tongue headed in the right direction.

QUESTION: anyone know of a trailer jack "steering fork" idea? LIke a bar that would come off the wheel to help steer it? I don't kneed one of those Electric dollies... Just an easier way to steer the wheel.... (Gets kinda hard to kick that wheel with gym shoes on.)

ANy help is appreciated. Thx!

when you figure something out I'd love to copy it. I either kick mine or counter rotate the 2 wheels by hand to turn it.

Yes I have a single axel trailer

im currently using a crow bar to turn the wheel. But I have a trailer dolly on order. Should be here after July 4 th. Im thinking trailer dolly is the sane answer. 

Ill keep u all posted thx!

On June 20, 2016 at 7:44 AM, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

We had the same problem and now use a Trailer Dolly, I can not believe it took me so long to buy one, as they are cheap as chips!

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-heavy-duty-trailer-dolly-69898.html

I have one of those that I use for my fishing boat.  It rolled a LOT better before I ran it over with my Suburban...... :(

On 23 June 2016 at 11:38 PM, MadMan said:

I'm assuming you have a single axle trailer.

Its a Twin Axle trailer, and while you would not be able to have the dolly at 90 degres to the drawbar, it is still very manoeuvrable as long as you are rolling.

To be fully manoeuvrable you would need the dolly to be high enough or low enough to have only one set of the trailer tyres taking the weight.

We keep our 22MXZ in a garage at the mariner, which is very tight, I use it to pull the boat out every time, and also to reposition it if we have not reversed it in just right.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 6/30/2016 at 7:34 AM, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

Its a Twin Axle trailer, and while you would not be able to have the dolly at 90 degres to the drawbar, it is still very manoeuvrable as long as you are rolling.

To be fully manoeuvrable you would need the dolly to be high enough or low enough to have only one set of the trailer tyres taking the weight.

We keep our 22MXZ in a garage at the mariner, which is very tight, I use it to pull the boat out every time, and also to reposition it if we have not reversed it in just right.

Tandom is very maneuverable with even the single wheel jack