Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cantilever lift past center

MALI-MONSTER

My new neighbors, new to lake living but not new to their boat, have themselves in an interesting predicament. While lifting their boat on their cantilever lift  somehow it ended up going past the highest position and falling forwards. In the process the boat cradle punch a hole in the front frame. Right now the pontoon is stuck in this position. How do they get the boat off?  I am tempted to yank at it with my Echelon but we don't want to break even more parts.  What do we do?

MalibuNation

:plus1:to the pics

Maybe call boat lift company?  If you try to pull/push it off make sure you wet the bunks.  Better yet try to get some silicone spray or I've seen people use PAM to make bunks more slippery.

PAM or lemon Pledge both work for slippery assistance.

How far over center is it?  If it's more than just a few degrees, don't pull it with the Malibu.  They require force in the northbound direction, not just east-west.

We had this issue earlier this year but the lift had enough room that it could work in either position.  So we just dropped the lift normally to get the boat on and off for a few weeks until we flipped the lift back over when it was empty.  

Can you get a floor jack or something under the boat to lube the bunks one at a time.  Then with everything lubed pull it off?  Photos would help. 

Pics are tough because the pontoon is on it hiding a lot. I will try to post some though. 

It is very far passed center, probably 45 degrees. In fact, it's so far over center forward the pontoons are almost back in the water. 

To make it tougher there is another pontoon right next to it. On the other side and front there are docks. It and the pontoon next to it are in the same wooden structure boat house. 

I'm thinking the boat needs to be lifted vertically before it gets tugged backwards. 

You said "boat house".... Is there a structure above and behind the boat you can attach a come along to and give an upward + backward pull?

use a come along and pull it back to center.  Most lifts have stops to stop that. I see many people winch past the stops. you can hook the come along to the main support in the back. but you might need to put a strap or rope to both sides to be sure its not pulling to one side. So if you get it off check the lift over I have seen many with damage after doing this.

The come along idea might be best. He could possibly use the roof trusses as a lift points. 

There is definitely damage to the hoist. The port side bunk cradle fell directly into the front frame and put a nice big hole in it.