Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need to deep start 4 barefooters - what prop?

sounddude03

I need some help. My crew and I are primarily footers, followed by slalom, but we also like board sports and surf at the end of the day. I need 40+ for footing and at a minimum I need to be able to deep water start two footers simultaneously, and would like the ability to start three or even four.  I have a 2014 VTX with the Monsoon 350 running an Acme 537 and today was the first time I tried to deep water start two footers. There were 4 in the boat, plus gear, and the two of us in the water.  After hanging in for what seemed like an eternity we still didn't even plan out. It was embarrassing.  

We routinely do this with a friends 23' MC with a 14" x 18" prop and a ton of gear and he has the 5.7 Indmar rated at 330 hp.

I need a prop recommendation to improve the hole shot while preserving top end. What prop can I purchase to do it all?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, sounddude03 said:

I need some help. My crew and I are primarily footers, followed by slalom, but we also like board sports and surf at the end of the day. I need 40+ for footing and at a minimum I need to be able to deep water start two footers simultaneously, and would like the ability to start three or even four.  I have a 2014 VTX with the Monsoon 350 running an Acme 537 and today was the first time I tried to deep water start two footers. There were 4 in the boat, plus gear, and the two of us in the water.  After hanging in for what seemed like an eternity we still didn't even plan out. It was embarrassing.  

We routinely do this with a friends 23' MC with a 14" x 18" prop and a ton of gear and he has the 5.7 Indmar rated at 330 hp.

I need a prop recommendation to improve the hole shot while preserving top end. What prop can I purchase to do it all?

Thanks!

So what was did the boat do when you tried to deep start the footers?  

What Speed and RPM did it achieve?  

If you allow 20% (typical) for prop slip your 16" pitch prop should be pushing you around 40.5 MPH @ 5000 RPM (I'm assuming you have a 1.5:1 trans?)...  On paper this seems like it should work for you?  Did the engine not build up to that RPM or did the boat not achieve the MPH?

Edited by APoko

I was one of the footers behind the boat and cannot state the speed or RPM, but it was slow out of the hole and I was basically dragged underwater gulping for air and hoping the boat would come up to speed so I could plane out and breath.  I foot enough to know how to properly deep start and I was throwing my shoulders and head back as hard as possible to try and plane out.  

I'm told the throttle was all the way down and I from the single runs I drove earlier in the day, I would say the RPM's are fine, but there isn't power out of the hole.  On the single runs we were hitting 42-43 mph, but it felt sluggish getting there.  I want to believe this issue can be fixed with a new prop, but it would be nice to try before I buy (I'll likely be speaking with Eric @ OJ later today). 

As for the transmission details I have a ZF 45 IV transmission where A=1.46 and B=1.51, which I would have read as 1:1.  Am I interpreting the specs correctly? 

To be exact thats a 1.462:1 ratio trans.... The "B pos" is your reverse gear, which has a slightly different ratio of 1.507:1.  

The reason the 23 footer will do it isn't the prop, its that its longer and will plane easier.  your boat has the power to pull all those footers up but you're going to have to use the pylon not tower....or, move everyone up front and fill the front ballast.  its not a power issue.  The VTX is so short it will stand on its rear, unlike a 23 footer.  Do all you can to keep the bow down.

30 minutes ago, APoko said:

To be exact thats a 1.462:1 ratio trans.... The "B pos" is your reverse gear, which has a slightly different ratio of 1.507:1.  

That makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.

25 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

The reason the 23 footer will do it isn't the prop, its that its longer and will plane easier.  your boat has the power to pull all those footers up but you're going to have to use the pylon not tower....or, move everyone up front and fill the front ballast.  its not a power issue.  The VTX is so short it will stand on its rear, unlike a 23 footer.  Do all you can to keep the bow down.

We were off the tower, so I'll give it a try from the pylon to see if that helps. I'll also try filling the front ballast.  I won't have a chance to try this again until next weekend, but I'll certainly give it a go.  If I can avoid buying a new prop that would be huge.  Already had to buy one this year, but thats a different story.  

Not sure on your boat. But for reference I had a 2001 closed bow response. Corvette LS1 in it and a Titan tower. I was able to pull 4 footers at 40 mph (pinned) but only with 2 from tower, 2 from pylon. And it took a while.

good luck!