Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yet another, another Helmet thread

jshap

After a couple of very hard, back of head, whiplash like falls this weekend, I'm considering buying a helmet (I'm still a little goofy today even Crazy.gif ). I have a chronic tension headache-like thing at the base of my skull from everyday life (computer work etc), so any torque on my head tends to make the fall even worse and more painful.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether wearing a helmet might make the neck torsion worse than no helmet. My thinking is that with the increased surface area of the helmet, it might "catch" more on the water and cause more tension on my neck. I want to avoid the constant bell ringing, but I don't want it at the expense of my neck. I searched and didn't really see anyone commenting on the effects on the neck...which may mean there aren't any. Thoughts?

I have never experienced any more or less issues with a helmet on. I have also not experienced my helmet catching when coming in hot so to speak. Usually just plowing thru without the follow-up headache. Now, I guess if you were inverted at 25mph and the first thing to touch was the top of the helmet near your hairline, yeah that might send you back and jerk your neck. But how often are you just coasting upside down above the water? Usually when your head is close enough to enter, your entering, coming down hard.

This is all predicated on the fact that you get a helmet that fits properly. I am sure you can cause more damage by not wearing a properly fitting helmet. Any loose space will catch water and create resistance which will result in unpredictable results during reentry.

...which will result in unpredictable results during reentry.

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

Nice one....anyway I agree...no adverse effects to the neck from a helmet...just keeps you from getting goofy after a hard fall.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm gonna try it out. Perhaps I'll save the 3 brain cells I have left after hitting my head on the water all weekend Cry.gif

For your neck, try a Barefoot Centrale Extreme Neckbrace. I have tried a couple of different types for barefooting, and the BFC neckbrace is the only one which I feel no pain (or practically...) the next day after some back barefoot falls. Link Love.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm gonna try it out. Perhaps I'll save the 3 brain cells I have left after hitting my head on the water all weekend Cry.gif

I second the ear flap comment. It will save your ear drums when you land ear first. Doesn't help too much with the occasional sore neck though...

For your neck, try a Barefoot Centrale Extreme Neckbrace. I have tried a couple of different types for barefooting, and the BFC neckbrace is the only one which I feel no pain (or practically...) the next day after some back barefoot falls. Link Love.gif

Have you ever tried the Scarpa neckbrace? That is the one that I have and like it.

I bought a helmet this year that is made by Gath. I have a friend that has the Ace helmet and I did not like the fit of it. The Gath was more money but it does seem like a better helmet. The ear protection was considerably better and the front of the helmet is a little more form fitting, therefore less likely to contribute to the "bucket" effect when crashing. I think it is a good idea to wear one. I have two friends that have ruptured eardrums over the past year, not something that I really want to experience. That's my .02.

Have you ever tried the Scarpa neckbrace? That is the one that I have and like it.

Yeah I have a "Bull Collar". I still get soar with it. Read this article and I bet you you will change your Bull Collar for a BFC Link. The Bull Collar may be even more dangerous then not wearing a neckbrace at all! (read article and you will know what I mean...)

Edited by 1FootDan

How many use the helmets for their kids. Mine are 5 and 9 and are beginner skiers (no wakeboarding as of yet) and I am wondering if a helmet would be a good idea or is it overkill for just skiing on combos. For those of you that do have the kids wear helmets, what type do you use?

FWIW we make the kids wear helmets for all wakeboard & wakesurf activities but not for skiing. The advice we received was that a common injury for beginning boarders is a head cut from hitting the board.

• 2 weeks later...
How many use the helmets for their kids. Mine are 5 and 9 and are beginner skiers (no wakeboarding as of yet) and I am wondering if a helmet would be a good idea or is it overkill for just skiing on combos. For those of you that do have the kids wear helmets, what type do you use?

After getting a concussion on an invert attempt I now always wear a helmet if I'm wakeboarding or foiling. I've had lots of falls that would have ended my session or day without a helmet and now I can keep on going without the massive headache. My results have been so good that I require my kids or anyone without experience to wear a helmet. No sense in Newbies getting turned off by the inevitable face plant. I've thought about the neck issue but haven't had a single fall where I thought that was an issue. I don't wear the helmets for slalom as I've not experienced the head banging falls that seem common on the board or foil.

Update:

I took almost the same exact fall last night that caused me to buy my helmet in the first place. The helmet made a HUGE difference. I got out of the water with a sore arm, not head and neck. I'll never ride at speed without it again. I saw no issue with greater drag on my neck at all....well worth the cost (both in money and getting made fun of :) )

I nearly blew out my drum last night and took a great spill, landing ear first. I wish I had worn mine. You can get hurt doing the simplest things, even behind a jet ski, ugh er I mean Sunsetter LXI.

We started using helmets this summer. Makes a big difference. Even my 2 college age sons wear them now and swear by them. We have the ProTec Wake helmet (with ear flaps). Works and feels great, but thats the only one we have ever used.