Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake makers Piggy back install

Kinloch

Hi,

I'm setting up the piggy back system into my 2016 vtx.  It's an Ausy build so plug n play is not an option

I have a few questions

-  does the bag fill first and over flow into the tank or fill the tank first then over flow into the bag?

-  the factory tank has a small vent pipe do I shut this off and just vent from the bag or does the bag and the tank need to have a vent pipe?

Thanks

nick

I did this a few weeks ago on my 07 so the process may differ but mine do fill the bag first. Reach out to wakemakers and they can send you a PDF illustration. If I remember correctly the tank vent was used on the bag. Its a 20 minute job that took about 3 hours. :)

Edited by jcon44

From a structural point of view you want to fill the hard tanks before the locker bags. Water doesn't compress so filling the tanks will provide structural rigidity to support the bags, but if you fill the bags first the floor will sag and possibly cause problems. You can always contact Malibu customer service/tech support for a diagram on the fill and flow patterns of your ballast system.

If I run the fill into the top of my bag.  The bag has a pipe at the front and a second pipe at the back that drain into the factory tank.  Once the factory tank is full the bag will start to fill.  When I go to drain the factory tank will empty and the bag water will flow into the factory tank.

i am stuck with what to do with the vent.  The vent on the hard tank goes straight to the side of the boat and is a smaller size pipe.  I have read on other threads do not touch this.

The kit has a vent pipe that looks like it fits to the top of the bag beside the fill line.  Where don't take this vent to if the factory hard tank vent is left in place and there is not a spare hole on the side of the boat?

1 hour ago, mikeo said:

From a structural point of view you want to fill the hard tanks before the locker bags. Water doesn't compress so filling the tanks will provide structural rigidity to support the bags, but if you fill the bags first the floor will sag and possibly cause problems. You can always contact Malibu customer service/tech support for a diagram on the fill and flow patterns of your ballast system.

there are two options here:
1. put a "wye" in the vent line, but you also need a check valve and some extra hose to make this work.
   wye: https://www.wakemakers.com/hose-barb-wye.html
   check valve: https://www.wakemakers.com/marine-check-valve.html
2. put a "kinetic air vent" in (see my writeup on kinetic air vents linked below)

I haven't heard or seen anyone say not to touch the factory air vent line, it's one of the first things I modified on my boat...

The way I did mine (Aus built 15 vlx) was both hard tank plugs to the bottom fittings of the bags, pulled the vent hose off the thru hull, short hose about 70mm to the common leg of a wye tank vent to one leg of the wye bag vent to the other.

I still have to play around with the vent hoses a bit as I get a bit of water out of the hard tank vent whilst filling the bags.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Im about to purchase a few extra fittings from wake makers to get this working.  This may be a silly question.  I measure the hoses that have been sent in the kit and the inside diameter of the hoses measures 1 1/8 (28mm). But all the fittings in the kit are marked 1inch.  

Am i correct is assuming the 1 inch fittings work with the 1 1/8 fitting?

The wake makers kit that i have is the piggy back for 2012 onwards.