Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 Wakesetter VLX Stumbling at about 3800 rpms 35-40mph

Not really new to the forum but ive been lurking for a little while now, however this is my first post. This is our first year owning the Wakesetter so I am not sure what maintenance has been done to the motor as it was an out of state purchase.

Main issue We have a 05 Wakesetter VLX with a monsoon 340 with approx. 750hrs. My problem occurs mainly around 3800rpms but I noticed that it has started creeping down to 3600rpms where the motor will start stumbling at speed. Whenever it occurs I have to put it in neutral, get back to speed then it happens maybe 5 minutes later again with the same symptoms. I've been reading up on some threads and a lot of people recommend to replace the fuel filter and clean some screen (which screen are they talking about?)

Second issue   Whenever I start the boat I hear a wine, it sounds like its coming directly from the center of the boat. The dealer we bought the boat from changed out the impeller for us before we took it out on the water. Could this be the impeller making noise? If so, should I just replace the impeller again?

My plans are to:

1. Replace the inline fuel filter w/ WIX #33299 or NAPA Gold 3299
  2. Replace the Plug Wires from Bakes #756002 which replaced #751101 (blue discontinued wires)
  3. I am contemplating replacing the distributor and rotor but I just read a thread where a guy with a 2004 did that and blew up his motor... So im kinda hesitant to do so. I am very mechanically inclined however I just need direction. The part numbers for my boat would be Distributor cap #556083 and Rotor #556084 found here http://www.marinedepo.com/product-details.php?id=190 I found this on bakes, but there are no part #'s... https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=850

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

-J

Edited by jdeltoro
2 hours ago, jdeltoro said:

Not really new to the forum but ive been lurking for a little while now, however this is my first post. This is our first year owning the Wakesetter so I am not sure what maintenance has been done to the motor as it was an out of state purchase.

Main issue We have a 05 Wakesetter VLX with a monsoon 340 with approx. 750hrs. My problem occurs mainly around 3800rpms but I noticed that it has started creeping down to 3600rpms where the motor will start stumbling at speed. Whenever it occurs I have to put it in neutral, get back to speed then it happens maybe 5 minutes later again with the same symptoms. I've been reading up on some threads and a lot of people recommend to replace the fuel filter and clean some screen (which screen are they talking about?)

Second issue   Whenever I start the boat I hear a wine, it sounds like its coming directly from the center of the boat. The dealer we bought the boat from changed out the impeller for us before we took it out on the water. Could this be the impeller making noise? If so, should I just replace the impeller again?

My plans are to:

1. Replace the inline fuel filter w/ WIX #33299 or NAPA Gold 3299
  2. Replace the Plug Wires from Bakes #756002 which replaced #751101 (blue discontinued wires)
  3. I am contemplating replacing the distributor and rotor but I just read a thread where a guy with a 2004 did that and blew up his motor... So im kinda hesitant to do so. I am very mechanically inclined however I just need direction. The part numbers for my boat would be Distributor cap #556083 and Rotor #556084 found here http://www.marinedepo.com/product-details.php?id=190 I found this on bakes, but there are no part #'s... https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=850

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

-J

1. Fuel Filter

2. I would change out plugs, wire, rotor, cap, oils, impeller so I knew where the boat stood. when you change the impeller make sure you clean the cooler also for piece of mind. I would also make sure the belts are in alignment and not cocked to one side or the other. 

The dealer is the last person I would trust. 

12 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

1. Fuel Filter

2. I would change out plugs, wire, rotor, cap, oils, impeller so I knew where the boat stood. when you change the impeller make sure you clean the cooler also for piece of mind. I would also make sure the belts are in alignment and not cocked to one side or the other. 

The dealer is the last person I would trust. 

Ok will do. Any information as to where the cooler is? I'm trying to find a service manual I found the one on bakes but I'm trying to find one with more information still. Thanks again

The wining noise could also be your fuel pump going out... That is what happened to me... It could be other issues stated above, and trying to diagnose a wine by text is complicated ;)

Edit... That might be your issue with your fuel delivery at high rpms as well...

The fuel pump is electric and I believe it is still mounted next to the block in 2005 (mine was on the port side)... open hatch and listen down in that area, if you hear a loud wine that is probably all issues mentioned

Edited by kerpluxal
18 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

The wining noise could also be your fuel pump going out... That is what happened to me... It could be other issues stated above, and trying to diagnose a wine by text is complicated ;)

Edit... That might be your issue with your fuel delivery at high rpms as well...

The fuel pump is electric and I believe it is still mounted next to the block in 2005 (mine was on the port side)... open hatch and listen down in that area, if you hear a loud wine that is probably all issues mentioned

Thanks Guys, ill try to take a video of it next time we start it.