Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

8.3 Wakesurf Shaper Tips

arctic4wd

Hi All-

I'm new to the forum. I just picked up an eight.3 wakesurf shaper for my 2011 VLX. Has anyone had experience with these? If so, how many shims are you using with it? How far forward/rearward do you like it on the hull?

I have placed it on a ton of Malibu boats. Don't put it too deep. I had an issue on a heavily weighted VLX where it never materialized and figured out I had over weighted. I simply moved the shaper up and we were good to go. hFBzltctUR_Ronix_Eight.3_Wakesurf_Shaper

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, spencer said:

I have placed it on a ton of Malibu boats. Don't put it too deep. I had an issue on a heavily weighted VLX where it never materialized and figured out I had over weighted. I simply moved the shaper up and we were good to go. hFBzltctUR_Ronix_Eight.3_Wakesurf_Shaper

Did it work better than surfgate?

It works, but I am still trying to figure it out, our 2010 vlx is new to us. I started with it at bottom of hull, but find it works better when you move it up. Before I got the shaper, I tried a bigger skate board ramp last fall, and am wondering if the wake shaper is too small?

My current set up; stock ballast in lockers + 900lb bags piggy back on both sides (I don't fill them up all the way). 500lb bag next to driver + stock center tank. Am going to try 900 next to driver and two 150 bags for listing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Faux-nix Eight.3 Wake Shaper (someone had a plastic company make an exact copy of the dimensions).  I also have a custom angled shim so it fits better.  I've only had mine out twice so far.  From what I can tell currently, it likes to be all the way back (rear of the unit almost flush with the back of the boat).  Height wise, the bottom is about flush with the bottom of my hull...but my hull is shallower than a newer VLX.  Weight wise, it works better listed a bit, so I have about 600 extra pounds to port (~3200 total in water + lead).

• 1 month later...

Hello,

i put this on my 99 sunsetter, and i cant seem to make the wave surfable yet.  It definately cleans it up, but still on able to find a sweet spot.

WHen I put it on, its almost completely submerged in the water.  Should I move it higher up?

ALso, I am running only 1100 lbs total weight - do i need more?

24 minutes ago, ss1024 said:

Hello,

i put this on my 99 sunsetter, and i cant seem to make the wave surfable yet.  It definately cleans it up, but still on able to find a sweet spot.

WHen I put it on, its almost completely submerged in the water.  Should I move it higher up?

ALso, I am running only 1100 lbs total weight - do i need more?

You need more weight.  1100lbs isn't that much listed, let alone for an evenly (or better yet, slightly listed) setup required for this device.  Double that weight and it will get a lot better.  I'm running about triple what you are running and the wake is great. 

As for mine, experimenting more has me placing the unit further toward the front of the hull.  I have been thoroughly impressed by this, as my Ghetto Gate was a total failure.